Latest post Tue, Jan 21 2014 1:52 PM by vpcmike. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 7 2012 3:10 PM

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Why no GPU acceleration on the mac?

In researching a new system build, I came across a thread on choosing an MC system.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/99188.aspx

In the document I came across this -"Avid has qualified NVIDIA but the ATI should work just as well.  There is no GPU acceleration on a Mac therefore the card choice is not as relevant as it is on a PC."

A couple years ago, I abandoned my PC-based system with Quadro graphics for the Mac because I was sick of receiving media on HFS+ drives from everyone in town and always having to copy it over to NTFS drives before I could work. As a freelancer, I always felt my PC system was way zippier and more responsive then the Mac-based ones in my client's edit bays.

It all makes sense now. That sluggishness we experience in the Effect editor is due to missing a key component of the Media Composer experience - the GPU. 

Obviously the mac has many other benefits over the PC- but my curiousity is peaked - Why is the GPU not being utilized on these $5500 Mac Pro systems we have all invested in? My understanding was that the PC and Mac version were to be "in parity" with each other moving forward. This seems like a big difference in capabilities. 

Does OSX Lion lack the support framework or is there some other reason? 

Thanks,

Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2014 1:06 PM In reply to

• editor14
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 17 2011
    • Posts 29
    • Points 315

Re: Why no GPU acceleration on the mac?

I would also like this answered....Avid? any thoughts?

• Mon, Jan 20 2014 3:59 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

My understanding is that Mac OS handles video cards very different than Windows.  Windows uses direct drivers for each card and can utilize parts of the card for processing and acceleration.  Mac uses (or used to use) a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) that unifies the way the video cards are used by the OS, so tweaked drivers have no effect.

At lease that is how I think it works.  Other more knowing users are very welcome to jump in to confirm or deny.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2014 7:59 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Not trying to attack the messenger, but That explanation might have held water half a decade ago...

Both premiere pro and FCPX make extensive use of the GPU on the Mac.   Premiere Pro has far fewer qualified GPU cards for mac, but that's because there are far fewer available that fit the bill.

For what it's worth, the acceleration available on Avid for the PC is negligible (i switch back and forth all the time and see no real difference).  Mac users are not missing out on much at all until Avid does real GPU acceleration (like what Apple and Adobe are doing).

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2014 9:22 PM In reply to

I'd agree the GPU acceleration doesn't make a lot of difference in most MC functions and the difference between an expensive GPU card and a cheap chearful one seem to be slim.

But I've always found MC on a PC to be faster than a similar spec Mac. No idea why but it maybe that the PC often has the edge on raw CPU speed and often CPU speed is the key.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 21 2014 1:52 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

No offense taken at all - that's why I asked for other, more knowing, members to join in.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller