Latest post Sat, Jul 13 2013 12:41 AM by Wm.Busby. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 4:33 PM

• taylormade
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 20 2009
    • Staunton, Illinois
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,945

AVid DVD - at wit's end!

This is a SD issue only - I'm having no problems with HD.

In any Standard Definition project (720X480 NTSC) created on my MC4  I can output the timeline via firewire through my DV recorder/player and watch the show on a SD television and everything looks perfect.

I can record the timeline on DV tape, import it into my old computer in Xpress pPo, make a DVD in Sonic DVDit and it looks perfect.

However!  I cannot make a DVD using the Avid DVD by Sonic in my current computer.  Any DVD I make jitters all over the place as if there is a field order problem.  (HD projects look perfect on DVD and Blu-ray)

To compound the problem, I cannot tell if the Sorenson Squeeze files are the problem because Avid DVD insists that what should be compliant squeezed files are not and happily trancodes them again.

So, if I import a QT reference file into Avid DVD and let the program transcode it I get crap.  I changed the field order for the QT reference file in Avid DVD (top instead of bottom)  and it looks the same.  I changed the mode to progressive and it looks the same.

The original video is fine.  The timeline in MC4 is fine.  The firewire output is fine.  My old Sonic DVDit makes perfect DVDs.  The problem is somewhere between MC and Avid DVD or in Avid DVD, but I can't figure where it is.

I need to get dozens of football DVDs out to a client this weekend and the thought of having to transfer everything via tape to my old, slow computer to make master DVDs is very depressing.

Intel i7 920 V1AX Thermaltake cooler Asus P6T 24GBCorsair 1600 PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 Coolermaster HAF 932 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Boot Drive)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 6:24 PM In reply to

• taylormade
    • Not Ranked
    • Staunton, Illinois
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,945

Re: AVid DVD - at wit's end!

So I tried to author a DVD on Adobe Encore, (which I forgot I had.)  Same problem.  Tried upper field, lower filed and progressive.  Bottom line, my MC4 does not export usable QT reference files in SD.  It jitters all over the place in any DVD authoring program I try.  And since I have no field options - or much or anything else - exporting QT reference, I'm dead in the water.

It's going to be a long weekend.

Intel i7 920 V1AX Thermaltake cooler Asus P6T 24GBCorsair 1600 PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 Coolermaster HAF 932 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Boot Drive)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 6:45 PM In reply to

I'd so tests but not with QT refs. Your not actually changingt he content with a QT ref so it's not very helpful.

I'd export as section as a QT file and force the field order on export with both upper and lower and test with those.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 6:58 PM In reply to

• taylormade
    • Not Ranked
    • Staunton, Illinois
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,945

Thanks for the reply, Pat, but you're making my point.  The QT reference doesn't work.  To have to make QT files of hour long football games and then transcode it takes a long time.  I can't figure out why my old, clunky computer with XpressPro and DVDit can do it effortlessly (although very slowly) with a QT reference file while my new MC and Avid DVD haven't a clue.

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:03 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,435
    • Points 15,760

Sometime around the MC4, a change of codecs and procedures that fugovali in XPress Pro had to be reworked. Specifically, the AVID DV PAL codec was changed field order. But I do not know if there is a change to NTSC.
    William

AVID MC2020.12, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 442.50, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:36 PM In reply to

• taylormade
    • Not Ranked
    • Staunton, Illinois
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,945

I changed the field order in my trancode tests.  Upper, lower and progressive.  It made no difference in Avid DVD or Encore.  Neither program could resolve the issue.  Whatever is coming out of MC as a QT reference file is not usable in any workarounds I can find.

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:46 PM In reply to

Have you got some 720 by 486 shots mixed with the 720 by 480?  I recall seeing posts about this causing similar problems with NTSC DVD's some years back.

• Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:03 PM In reply to

• taylormade
    • Not Ranked
    • Staunton, Illinois
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,945

I wish it was that easy, Andrew.  This is one, uncut shot taken of a HS football game.  No cuts.  Just a title card made in Avid.  No stray, off-sized shots.

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:32 AM In reply to

• DavidJS5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 25 2010
    • Posts 28
    • Points 340

You may need to do a video mix down before you send it out a QT REF. I had a similiar problem with jittery frames and this resolved it.

Mark In/Out and select the video tracks you want to include in the Mixdown and then go to Special>Video Mixdown.

MC 5.5, Win 7 pro 64, ASUS P8P67 MB, 3.3Ghz Core i5-2500K,8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600, Quadro FX 560 (190.38) or GeForce 460, SB Audigy Sound Card, Shuttle... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 16 2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• taylormade
    • Not Ranked
    • Staunton, Illinois
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,945

David, thaks for the advice.  Didn't work.  Making a mixdown also defeats the purpose of QT reference.  I might as well take the time and memory to make a QT movie, which works.

• Thu, Jan 19 2012 6:12 AM In reply to

• taylormade
    • Not Ranked
    • Staunton, Illinois
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,945

Okay, someone explain this to me.  More problems trying to make a simple SD DVD!  At a business I freelance for we had major computer problems with their editing computer.  After many blue screens I finally managed to make a QT movie of a show cut on MC5 and sent the computer off to have Windows reinstalled.

I get home and decide to put the QT movie into DVDit in my old computer as that's currently the only way i can make a DVD that won't stutter (see above posts).  I make a Sorenson Squeezed file and a DVD and it jumps - plays along and then jumps a few frames forward, picture only, the sound is fine.  No picture stutter or banding, just these jumps every few seconds.  This is the exactly the same problem I had trying to make a DVD on the computer at the above mentioned editing house.  I'm really pulling my hair out because the QT movie plays fine on its own.

In deperation, I load the QT movie into my old XpressPro, send the resulting timeline out as QT reference, squeeze the file and make a DVD.  It plays perfect!

Can someone explain to me why both MC4 and MC5 seem incapable of producing a file that creates usable DVD in Avid DVD?  Considering two different computers with two different MCs produce exactly the same miserable results, something is wrong here.  I ask again, why can my clunky old XpressPro make perfect files and perfect DVDs when the other systems can't.

UPDATE - I finally managed to make a good DVD in Adobe Encore by making sure the field order is the same (bottom first).  Changing the field order in Avid DVD slightly improved the stuttering, but it was still there and unacceptable - better in lower first, but still bad.  Same situation in my home studio computer and in the computer at work.  At this point I think Avid DVD is just plain junk in SD situations.

• Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:32 PM In reply to

• shirbesa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 23 2009
    • Norway
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

I some time get same kind of  problem. let me tell you what workrd for me. First remember to mix down the video and the audio of the last sequence on time line.Then send it to Avid DVD as quicktime reference. I hope you have done this. The surprizing thing is the DVDmade by AVID DVD some times do not play on all machines.what i experimented is just to copy the DVD using Roxio and then use the copy. it works Big Smile. I do not know why this happens!

it may help you to fix the case, cheers

HPz400,Intel(R)Xeon(R)CPU 2700rpm,2.8Ghz,6GB RAM,Nvidia Quadro FX1800,64 bit Win.7 professional,1TB HD,MC6, [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 20 2012 6:50 PM In reply to

• DavidJS5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 25 2010
    • Posts 28
    • Points 340

Not that this helps, but I just made a DVD using Avid DVD 6.4.4 and MC 5.5.3 and it worked perfect. I used a QT Ref NOT a Sorenson endcode. Avid DVD does NOT like encoded material at all and will re-encode it. I should also point out that is was HD material that was transcoded by Avid DVD to SD.

Check that your using the correct QT for your specific version of Avid.

Beyond that maybe a complete re-install would help.

MC 5.5, Win 7 pro 64, ASUS P8P67 MB, 3.3Ghz Core i5-2500K,8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600, Quadro FX 560 (190.38) or GeForce 460, SB Audigy Sound Card, Shuttle... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2013 12:41 AM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

I realize this is an old thread and happened to stumple upon it searching for something else (haven't figured out the logic why it referenced this thread though) but I had the same problem a while back and solved it by making sure NOT to use the Avid codec with a QT ref. It seems using the Avid codec fudges up the field order plus also leaves it at 720x486. Without the Avid codec it's 720x480 as it should be and also no field order issues whatsoever.

HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller