Latest post Thu, Oct 6 2011 3:25 PM by Terry Snyder. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:18 PM

Desperately looking for a workflow to get great mpeg 2 files from Avid MC using Sorenson sequeeze 6

Hi there,

I have a very big problem to make a good resolution PAL mpeg 2 from my dv25 420 footage movie.

I really cannot find any good settings (in avid mc 4.0.5 and in sorenson squeeze 6) to make a good mpeg 2 i need to send in another studio to make dvd authoring.

I tried all the presets in squeeze and a lot of combinations between avid export settings and sorenson squeeze presets but nothing was good. I always had images with a very visible interlaced apparence and pixelated, particularly if images are in movement.

I read many threads but incredibly in none of them i found a simple suggestion of workflow like:

1: in avid export your sequence as QT reference (or Quick time video, or anything else)

2: be careful to set RGB (or 601), to use native dimentions (or 4:3 square pixels)

3: excetera excetera for every single step to make to achieve the goal....

I only found people making new questions like "what's your hardware", or giving answers like "i never had this problem, my dvds are always perfect", or "be careful to shoot with good lights and steadycams and tripods"... and a lot of really unuseful bla bla bla.

Is there anybody who can suggest how to solve the problem, with a simple and precise step by step explanation of the workflow to have a great mpeg 2 to use to burn PAL dvds from a DV25 420 footage movie?

Thank you very much in advance,

Mario 

• Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:41 PM In reply to

Re: Desperately looking for a workflow to get great mpeg 2 files from Avid MC using Sorenson sequeeze 6

marioleombruno:
    1: in avid export your sequence as QT reference (or Quick time video, or anything else)
    For me

Mixdown the video track to Avid dv 25 4.2.0

Duplicate your sequence. Edit the mixdown into the duplicate sequence so it overwrites all video tracks.

Make a QT reference from the duplicate sequence using Avic Codec (or is it AvidDV codec) allowing the QT reference to create an audio mixdown on export

Open Sorenson.  Import the QT ref file and select DVD PAL large.  (from memory adjust the video rate down from Sorensons default (9500kbs?) to 8000kbs.) If your program is less than one hour use 1 pass CBR rather than one or 2 pass VBR.

• Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:41 PM In reply to

Re: Desperately looking for a workflow to get great mpeg 2 files from Avid MC using Sorenson sequeeze 6

How are you viewing your interlaced MPEG2 files? by playing on your computer? that can't display interlaced only progressive?

When encoded into the DVD and played back on a DVD player or software DVD app (which copes with interlaced) they may well look good.

But to be honest you DVD will only be as good as the encode so I'd let them do it. You provide a poor encode and you get a poor DVD and it's down to you....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Oct 6 2011 7:24 AM In reply to

thank you guys,

what pat says is of course true: poor encode = poor dvd.

that's why i am asking for suggestions about encoding process. if is there anybody that knows how to encode a good mpeg 2, please help! :)

• Thu, Oct 6 2011 3:25 PM In reply to

marioleombruno:
    I tried all the presets in squeeze

Have you checked out all the presets in the Sorenson Enchange?   You can probably download what you need there:

http://exchange.sorensonmedia.com/

Also, Sorenson's tech support is very good.   I once needed to do a very specific export.  I called Sorenson tech support and the guy emailed me the perfect preset for the job before I even finished my phone call with him. 

In any event, you should follow Andrew's suggestion and first do a video mixdown and export from Avid as a QT ref.   Then you can apply the appropriate settings in Sorenson.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller