Latest post Fri, Sep 23 2011 7:22 PM by pianoman72. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 16 2011 2:05 PM

• framecrash
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 16 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

MC - ARRI Alexa Workflow

Hello,

in the recent days I'm trying to find the perfect workflow for our Series-Post.

Project: Series with 6 parts

Camera: ARRI Alexa (ProRes 444 & 422 HQ), PDW 750, Phantom or RED Epic

I'm looking fort the best workflow to handle min. 60 h footage / part - ca. 400 h Footage for the whole series.

Footage must be available for all parts.

Workflow

1, Transcoding all files ProRes-Files into DnxHD36 1080p25 - takes around 1,5 - 2 x realtime - 

one hour footage would take 2 hours transcoding with MC 5.5 internally /// Capture HDCAM into DnxHD36

Not comfortable transcoding internally with MC 5.5

Is there any MAC-Software to transcode into DnxHD36-MXFs without using MC 5.5?

Or just Meta Fuze on the PC Plattform?

2, Link to AMA (ProRes) - Capture HDCAM into DnxHD36

Will there occur any problems with those many externally linked Files via AMA?

It'll be much more easier to link to AMA, but I doubt that it works with thouse tons of files arriving week by

week.

Thanx for your help,

FRAMECRASH

• Sun, Sep 18 2011 2:35 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: MC - ARRI Alexa Workflow

Hello -

The conventional wisdom when dealing with a lot of footage is to transcode beforehand - either via AMA transcode our outside the Media Composer before editorial starts. Especially if in a shared storage/editor environment. A question back to you would be; on the ProRes files, are you starting out with 444 and LogC? If so, you will most likely want to apply a LogC to REC709 LUT beforehand. AlexiCC from LightIllusion or SilverStack from Pomfort can achieve this - but in both cases create QT wrapped DNxHD which you will want to consolidate into Avid managed media - so overall time savings are questionable.

I have been testing DaVinci Resolve for dailies creation which does apply a LUT (or not as needed) to create MXF wrapped DNxHD of your choice. The Resolve Lite can do this (free) but will need the $500 MXF add-on. And before you go and do that, note that the process is not complete at this time as "sources" are not defined in either Source File or Tape - so an offline to online workflow cannot be achieved. I am working on this with them, so hopefully this will be a viable solution in the future for dailies creation.

MetaFuze does not apply a LUT to QT wrapped ProRes although it can add an Arri LUT is shooting ArriRAW (which I doubt you are for television).But if you are shooting REC709, then that is not an issue.

I don't find transcoding via AMA an issue other than your time concerns, if that is a concern. Download several free trials and have multiple transcode stations for at least 30 days...

Also, I am assuming that the Phantom and RED are for slomo shooting?

Michael

24p.com

• Sun, Sep 18 2011 8:28 PM In reply to

• framecrash
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thanx for your answer.

We will shoot in REC709 - so we don't need to apply any LUT on the Alexa Apple ProRes Files.

I know Alexicc, but as far as we don't shoot log-c, we don't need it.

The main question ist.

Will we transcode the footage outside of MC5 or inside.

The problem is, that the transcoding internally takes a lot of time.

As we need to transcode around 400h of footage, we will need 800 h of transcoding.

We thought of buying a PC render slave to manage all the transoding.

And then copy all the data on our RAIDS (there's no SAN-System,

because we're working with only one production system in-house.

Are there any issues relinking the transcoded files in the online process -

relinking the DnxHD36 offline stuff to the Apple ProRes 444 files.

Thanx 

Framecrash

• Mon, Sep 19 2011 12:04 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
      Avid Employee

As long as you keep your methodology the same, as in AMA/transcode for offline, then AMA for online you should be fine. Managing UNC paths might cause a few frustrating moments, but it works. I would suggest you do a small test to be comfortable with it.

Michael

24p.com

• Mon, Sep 19 2011 7:01 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

MichaelP:
    If so, you will most likely want to apply a LogC to REC709 LUT beforehand. AlexiCC from LightIllusion or SilverStack from Pomfort can achieve this - but in both cases create QT wrapped DNxHD which you will want to consolidate into Avid managed media - so overall time savings are questionable.

Alexicc can convert straight to MXF aswell. On my six core Westmere 3.33 I get a slightly faster than realtime conversion speed. Not bad, and definitely quicker than internal conversion. It's good software, and I'm sure Steve from Light Illusion can give/sell you a preset that doesn't apply a lut to the image.

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 19 2011 7:12 AM In reply to

• framecrash
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thanx, that sounds interesting, yes.

Just transcode those files without any icc profile. That's nice.

Just only 400h of transcoding instead of 800 :-)

That would be half of the time.

• Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:27 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
      Avid Employee

Euchrow:
    Alexicc can convert straight to MXF as well.

Good to know. I haven't had hands on experience with it, so I made the QT assumption. That being said, what metadata is being put into the MXF? Does the filename track in the TAPE or the SOURCE FILE column? Anything else other than timecode?

Would you happen to have a small file to share?

Michael

24p.com

• Mon, Sep 19 2011 10:33 PM In reply to

• jamieparry
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 20 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

hello... "author of alexicc" type person here

The "just transcode with no LUT or icc profile" thing should be easy to arrange.

When you make an MXF the filename or the ARRI reel can go in the TAPE metadata in the MXF.

I was asked to do that (ARRI REEL thing) so guys who were doing conforms with baselight could get it to work.

for conforms with Media Composer the Filename means easy batch importing later.

Nothing goes in the SOURCE FILE column as curently I don't know how to get at that bit of the MXF!

If relinking back to the 444 prores for an AMA type relink is required then you have to get Alexicc to make DNXHD36 QUICKTIMES then ama link to them in the Avid (transcoding to MXF at that point if you wish to have rock solid avid media management)

From what Job says the ama--transcode process is really fast as it is essentially just rewrapping the essence.

thanks for the speed info I had no idea it could be that fast! I've only got an iMac!

Also Euchrow  are there any spare cores on your machine when you run Alexicc?

If you are running Alexicc7 (which uses 7 cores) and you wish more speed I have a version called Alexicc11 at home here.

Shades of Spinal Tap (it goes up to 11) but if you got spare power then alexicc11 may use it.

no one else I know has tried it so you would be on the bleeding edge but email steve if you want it.

cheers

jamie

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 7:46 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

@Michael

"Would you happen to have a small file to share?"

You can download a demo version on their website. The image looks deliberately crappy though.

@Jamie

I have a 6 Core Westmere with 12 Threads. Which number is important here, the cores or the threads ? So can I use Alexicc11 on a 6core, 12 threads machine ? When I open the activity monitor, I do have the impression that all 12 threads are used when converting with Alexicc7

An issue I ran into regularly is that by the end of the conversion process, only 1 core is used for converting the last 5-6 files.

thx, and keep up the good work ! 

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:55 AM In reply to

hello there

starting a 24 fps movie shot on Alexa with prores 444.

what is the right workflow in order I can at tail relink the original files (online) a make a color correction (will be fcp color or resolve whatever)?

I am trying:

Alexicc for off line files (with applied LUT) for editing

then...?? relink??? help!!!!!!

last but not least: I am using the evaluation copy of Alexicc, what are the limitations??

thank you in advance

Quentin

www.deangelisgroup.com

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:19 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

Just read the pdf included with the software. You need to convert the ProRes 4444 to DNxHD36 Quicktimes (no mxf). Then AMA those quicktimes and transcode them. This is a very quick process it just rewraps Mov to MXF. Afterwards you can relink to the original 4444 QT's though AMA. As usual, test the workflow beforehand.

The evaluation is fully functional but the image looks very funky.

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 12:58 PM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Belgium
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,735

Episode Pro from Telestream can transcode almost every format to Avid MXF OpAtom files. Just put them in your MXF folder at finder level. This is great because you can transcode outside MC and you don't have to import anything. You can use MC while copying files at finder level.

Don't know about if you can apply LUT file.

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 7:22 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,965

Just wanted to mention that MetaCheater can create an ALE for you should you lose metadata as a result of any of the suggestions above.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller