Latest post Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:52 PM by Marianna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 12:20 PM

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Avid FX crash - "Can't open the settings file"

This is beginning to drive me nuts.  Every time I use Avid FX from within MC, at some point early in the process of creating an effect a dialog message pops up - "Can't open settings file" (in lower case, just like that) and repeats itself across the screen towards the bottom right corner (as in a loop) where it builds up repeating continuously and quickly, until MC itself crashes out.

This time I was following a tutorial from Douglas - creating a handwriting effect.  The crash occured as I was selecting a type face: I had some typing highlighted on the screen, and was selecting a new typface when the crash occured.

I would like to know what the settings file is, and how I can avoid this happening if possible.  I have Avid FX 5.8.3.1517 - but this same crash occured with the previous version - 5.8.1 I believe.

I have used Avid FX - for learning and following tutorials - as a stand-alone version and (touches wood, crosses fingers, whistles etc) so far, this crash hasn't happened - it seems to occur only when running Avid FX from within MC.

It is very frustrating, as many of the effects and capabilities in Avid FX cannot be replicated by the other effects available in the Effects toolbox.

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 1:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,562
    • Points 255,360
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid FX crash - "Can't open the settings file"

Mike....

Are you jynxed or what?????? :) said lovingly.......

Posible your FX files got wacky with all the issue you had in the past crashing.  Try this..

Close the effects compositiion you have open ( save templates or work before closing it)...... then open C:\\Windows and locate the Avid FX5.8.3.ini file.  It might be called Avid FX5.8.ini as I dont have it loaded so I dont know it it adds the last number.  delete it the relaunch.

See if that does it if not - check your email.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 2:41 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Thanks Marianna - much appreciated (and the email!).  Have family coming here now for rest of the day, but tomorrow it will be first thing on my to-do list!  Fingers crossed!

And yes, I guess I must carry the jynx of ages or something.  Quite painful as this MC PC was built specially for MC to the Avid spec and has nothing else on it so there can be no mux ups ... that was the theory anyway!

Thanks again

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:16 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Well, touch wood and whistle and all that - your tip seems at the moment to have done the trick Marianna:  I completed an eb nitire edit - fairly complex effect - in Avid FX and it didn't crash out on me once.  Now I know that is really tempting fate, but it was wonderful to work through an entire FX edit without mishap or crash...  and Avid FX really is the bees knees when you get into it.  Can't wait to push it further ...  Smile

• Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:19 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Ummm ... for 'eb nitire ' please read 'an entire'.   My fingers just don't listen to what my brain is saying.

Perhaps that's half the problem with my problems ... there's a thought.

• Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,562
    • Points 255,360
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mike Shaw:

My fingers just don't listen to what my brain is saying.

Perhaps that's half the problem with my problems

Geeked No additional comments needed from me! Big Smile

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller