Latest post Tue, Aug 7 2012 7:50 PM by Radman. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 6 2011 2:04 AM

• XSMCX
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1
    • Points 45

Color correct master clips

I'm sure this has been asked and answered 5 million times already but, here we go...

How do you color correct a master clip?  Here is my delema:  I have 18 reels of stock shots that we use on our show continuously in each episode and we have to re-color correct each time we use a shot.

Can't we just color correct all of the master clips?  The source CC doesn't carry over when we go to another Project/Episode.

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 2:49 AM In reply to

Re: Color correct master clips

I would recommend cross posting this on Reduser.net.

http://reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?21-Avid-Workflow

HTH.

MC 6.0.5, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 3:05 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,405
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

There's no color correction on source clips, but have you tried color correction merge from one sequence to another?

Michael

HP 8600 Symphony Nitris DX v5.5.1 || MBP 15" Media Composer v5.5.1 [view my complete system specs]

____________ Anything 24fps

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 4:35 AM In reply to

Well ignore my recommendation above, LOL. Michael is the man when it comes to Avid & Red.

MC 6.0.5, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:20 PM In reply to

• nicknet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 6 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Create a sequence for each reel of stock shots.  Match sequence TC to the clip TC.

Color correct your clip, add any effects common to your stock shots.

Use this sequence as the source instead of the original clip.

Rinse, repeat as necessary.

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 11:55 PM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 52
    • Points 725

Colour correct the clip in your sequence using 'Master Clip' as the relationship type. When you move on to your next sequence load the original into the source monitor. Open the colour corrector, right click and choose 'merge correction.' The colour correction from the source sequence will now be copied across to the new sequence.

• Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:59 AM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 388
    • Points 4,370

If you capture the reels as individual shots you can uniquely name them so you can later merge the clips based on clip names.  Before the relational color correction was BROKEN between 3.5 and 4.x you could merge based on master clip but that isn't reliable because a source clip name based color correction will override a previously color corrected master clip based color correction since ver. 4.x.  In order for a master clip merge to work you would also have to be linked to the original master clip as far as I know.  Src clip name is more flexible and as long as the clip name is the same you can merge the color correction that way.  I routinely merge from the previous episodes when I'm editing a series but in order for this to work reliably I have to first link the new episode with the media from the previous episode.   It sounds more complicated than it is but it does require some careful  media management that is sometimes lacking in a shared environment where several people are digitizing without proper supervision and guidance.  I take some time to consolidate my media to a volume/workspace that I can manage more closely.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 4:46 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,915
    • Points 36,930

John Moore:
    Before the relational color correction was BROKEN between 3.5 and 4.x you could merge based on master clip but that isn't reliable because a source clip name based color correction will override a previously color corrected master clip based color correction since ver. 4.x. 

FIXED IN 6.0.3!!

"Bug Number: UDevC00169653. (Symphony - Color Correction) In the previous releases of Symphony, Src Color Correction relationships changed when a related clip (not matching the

original Source relationship type) was modified. With this release of Symphony, an existing Src Color Correction relationship will only be modified by a separate Src Color Correction relationship if the Src relationship types match exactly."

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 5:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 5,939
    • Points 74,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes it is fixed in 6.0.3 but this is not out yet.  Currently we are moderator testing the integrity of the DL center and until it passes all download testing we can not launch it.  Expected date is Thursday BUT only if tetsing goes well.

The moderators will post when it is live.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 7:50 PM In reply to

• Radman
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 797
    • Points 9,370

Can the source clips not be corrected with DaVici Resolve then tweaked in Symphony?

Radman.

Win7 64Bit / HP Z800-XW8200 / Quadro 2xK5000-2x5000 graphics / 48 Gig ram / Cubix Expander 4 / 1x16 TB SAS JMR Raid unit / 2xYotta Raid Scsi 24TB / Multibridge... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller