Latest post Fri, Jul 29 2011 2:41 PM by mikela. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 7:41 PM

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,400

Unity Client doesn't log in properly

Quick question:

I'm running a fresh install of Win7(64bit) as well as MC5.5.1 and a Fiber attached client at 5.3. I named the computer to match the old OS exactly, but the unity connection manager doesn't properly connect on bootup. I have to select 'connect as' and enter the exact same name as the User already is. For example -- computer name is AVID-3, user name is AVID-3, Unity is expecting to find 'AVID-3', but when I log on, all the drives are gone until I log on as 'AVID-3'. Strange no?

any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have another system running an almost idential setup, and it logs on properly as 'AVID-2' right after the boot. THANKS for any info.

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 7:48 PM In reply to

Re: Unity Client doesn't log in properly

I've always avoided naming the computer and user with the same name.  There have been cases where it was problematic. (been doing Unity since 1998 when I was on the Avid Unity Beta Team)

Meanwhile, I get that it works on some of your systems ....

Maybe chenge the user name to Avid03 as a test?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 7:49 PM In reply to

• Reanimated
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,445

did you give your computer another name during install and then change it to AVID-3???

if so the only solution i found was to reinstall the os... :(

Henrik

Win8 64bit, SSD systemdrives - MC 8 + Symphony option, Nitris DX, i7 3930K (GA-X79-UD7), 16GB, Quadro 2000 - Symphony 6.0.3, DeckLink Studio, HP Z400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 7:49 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,400

will do.

the Unity looks for User name and isn't as concerned with Computer name, right?

off to go test it. thanks!

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 7:52 PM In reply to

Access to Workspaces (None - RO - RW) is dependant on the User Name.  The Computer Name is used to name the sub-folders in \Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ ....

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 8:20 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,400

no luck so far.

First I changed the computer name to 'AVID03' with user name of 'AVID-3'. This user name matches what's listed on the Unity server in the back. I also tried deleting the 'AVID-3' user and then duplicating 'AVID-2' and modifying the name. I found this has worked in the past. And nothing....

When I click 'manage connections' I still have to input the user name 'AVID-3' before mounting drives. I sellect 'reconnect automatically' but it doesn't stick. Logging off and back on takes all the drives away, and I need to punch in the passwork automatically again.

Fiber card is ATTO 4G 41ES, but it works fine once the drives connect. I'm sure it's something silly and minor on my end. Should I try making an entirely new user account on the unity called 'Avid003' and changing my computer name to match that? Worth a shot?

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 8:32 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Have you tried doing a fresh install of the Fibre Manager?

We only use Mac's with Ethernet clients, but we have had similar issues in the past when we first installed the Connection Manager we used one username, and then change it later, but that original information was still stored in KeyChain (Mac's tool for remembering username's and passwords) which caused issues.

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 10:09 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,400

slowly starting to go crazy here....

I've done a fresh install of 5.3 - no luck

I ran the system profiler and the one item listed as a 'fail' is that my build of win7 is 7601 (yes it's legit, and yes it's new). The system profilers said that the 7600 build was the recomended one to use. Not like I have much of a choice there.....

Also worth noting - this system isn't connected to the office (non-Unity) network, so I get the error that 'no network could be found'. I know on XP it's possible to map a network drive and navigate the the unity there, as opposed to with the Conection Manager. Could there be some network setting glitch on win7 that I just don't know about?

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 10:17 PM In reply to

• Jens Hoppe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011
    • Frankfurt, Germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 755
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi there,

systems might do this if you have a windows auto-logon applied. Do you? If yes - turn it off and see what happens (netplwiz). Just my 2 cents...

Jens

MacPro, MBP, Z400, Z420, Z820, MN5, ISIS5000, Interplay... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 29 2011 6:16 AM In reply to

if the user was changed to AVID-03 (having a matching user/computer name is something that i have done very sussecfully for the past 7 years and helps a lot with data management) you need ti check it has chenged completey...

right click on computrt, got to manage

go to local users and groups 

go to users

check that the "name" and "full name" match that of AVID-03 you might find that one does not,,,, if this is the case then this has resolved this for me many times when clients have changed user names,,,,

it is very important that each machine has a different name or there will be issues,,

hth

mike

• Fri, Jul 29 2011 6:28 AM In reply to

forgot to say, you can just click on the name that does not match and change it in that window, then just restart and you should be sorted,,,,

still have asleep over here,,,

mike

• Fri, Jul 29 2011 2:41 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,400

grrr..... had it fixed. dragged the whole system into another room to use that fiber cable. At first I tought it was a loose card or a bad cable. At firsty it worked, and I took it back into the original room, and it worked for a while, but it's failing to connect now.

sigh. there goes the weekend

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller