Latest post Wed, Jul 6 2011 7:16 PM by Larry Rubin. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:22 PM

• Avidon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 27 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,420

Copying just one sequence from another system

Hello, is there a way to move just one sequence from one system to another?

I have an on going project that i am cutting on mac pro, but i had to take it with me on the road on a macbook pro (so i copied the whole project from the documents folder, and copied the media onto a portable drive).  i made some changes to the sequence while away from my main system, and i just would like to be able to move that one sequence back to the main system, vs having to move the whole project back.  Is this possible?

Many thanks.

5.5.3, 10.6.7, Mac Pro (Westmere, 12 Cores/24 Gigs), Quadro 4000, G-Raid 2TB external. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:36 PM In reply to

Re: Copying just one sequence from another system

Yes, if you consolidate your existing sequence to a clean portable drive.  And copy the .avb bin file containing the sequence to the portable drive as well.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 27 2011 6:07 PM In reply to

• Avidon
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,420

Thanks Larry,

But do i need to consolidate the sequence for transporting it to another system?  What if i wanted it as is with all the original number of handles.  

And what if i just moved that sequence as is in a brand new bin and then move that bin to the main system, would this be a good solution? which i think is what you meant by copying the .avb bin, correctt?

And where do i get to this bin and how do i bring the bin into the original project in the main system.

Forgive me for asking these basic things as i have never had to deal with this before, as well as there is alot that i just simply dont know and learn as i go.

5.5.3, 10.6.7, Mac Pro (Westmere, 12 Cores/24 Gigs), Quadro 4000, G-Raid 2TB external. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 27 2011 6:23 PM In reply to

Avidon:

But do i need to consolidate the sequence for transporting it to another system?

Unless you are OK with copying the entire contents of the "Avid MediaFiles" folder over to the portable drive (assuming there is enough space on the portable drive), you must consolidate. Unfortunately, since you're on a Mac platform, the freeware MDV program, which allows you to cluster media files by project at the folder level, is made for PC only.

Avidon:
    What if i wanted it as is with all the original number of handles.  

When you consolidate, you can define the handle length you want. Just make sure the length you specify is equal to your longest existing handle in your sequence.

Avidon:

And what if i just moved that sequence as is in a brand new bin and then move that bin to the main system, would this be a good solution? which i think is what you meant by copying the .avb bin, correctt?

You're very close, but not quite a cigar. First, some info you need to have. When you capture or import media into an Avid project, two things happen. A pointer file, called a master clip is created and placed in a bin in your project. At the same time, an MXF formatted associated media file is created that is linked to that clip and stored on a media drive. That drive should NOT be your system drive. You should always write media to a separate drive, either internal, external or a RAID array. So moving just the project folder and/or the bin file by itself will NOT move the associated media along with it. That is why you must consolidate to do what you want to do. And yes, to do this you would place the sequence pointer file in a bin all by itself and consolidate in that bin, so that the bin's contents are ONLY from that sequence and nothing else in your project.

Avidon:

And where do i get to this bin and how do i bring the bin into the original project in the main system.

Easy. Just copy the sequence's .avb bin file to the desktop on your main system, open the desired project on the main system, and use the File>open bins command to navigate to that bin and open it inside that project.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 7:03 PM In reply to

• Avidon
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,420

Thanks Larry, appreciate your long explanation.

Actually, i should have explained my situation a little better.

I have a main avid workstation with all the media for the project at hand on an external raid.  What i did was i copied the entire avid media folder from that external raid (attached to my workstation) to a portable drive.  I also copied my project from the documents folder onto my laptop's system drive.

Then on the road, i made some changes to my sequence.  So now i wanted to bring just that revised sequence back to my main avid workstation.  All the media is still exactly the same on both my workstation's external raid and on my portable drive.

So in this case i shouldn't have to consolidate anything as the media is present on both systems, correct.  And i guess, i'll use the procedure you mentioned above to move just one bin (containing only my revised sequence) from the laptop to the workstation.

Thanks.

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 7:16 PM In reply to

Avidon:
    ...i'll use the procedure you mentioned above to move just one bin (containing only my revised sequence) from the laptop to the workstation.

Exactly. In your case, that's all you have to do to get only your revised sequence into the project on the main Avid workstation.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller