Latest post Sun, Jan 14 2018 11:55 AM by Frank Blauenfeldt. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 13 2011 11:57 AM

• MCampbell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 13 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Nitris DX + Media composer often can't see each other

Hi,

I have one Z800 work station out of our suites running MC 5 with a Nitris DX. We often get reports from the editors that when they start the workstation and run Media Composer that at the Initializing hardware part of the Splash screen they receive an error "A required hardware download was not performed".

This is usually resolved by powering down the workstation and bringing it back up again (a cold boot). Just rebooting windows isn't enough. Naturally, the DX is left in standby and is NOT touched, it's bought to life by the PC starting up.

In the past, before I inherited these suites, the DX has been exchanged by Avid and we've received a new one. We have recently upgraded the Z800 from v4 to V5 and still get the problem. We have also started using Interplay after being stand-alone previously.

All that I can put it down to now is that it must be the HIB card or PCI-E Cable (although I've been told that the card has been replaced too in the past). The Z800 has recently been re-imaged with a clean Windows 7 install and a fresh version of Media composer installed. We still get the problem.

This problem doesn’t happen in the other suites...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark.

• Fri, May 13 2011 12:28 PM In reply to

Re: Nitris DX + Media composer often can't see each other

Mark:

This sounds to me like it could be a firmware issue with the Nitris box.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:09 AM In reply to

I am getting this too. It happened after cloning my system drive to an SSD. It went away but has now come back. Larry, do you know how I could prompt a re-flash of the Nitris DX?

• Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:13 AM In reply to

david@cuttothebeat.com:

I am getting this too. It happened after cloning my system drive to an SSD. It went away but has now come back. Larry, do you know how I could prompt a re-flash of the Nitris DX?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/en346959

This may help.

Step back the firmware and then allow it to re-update with the current software on start up.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 28 2014 3:37 PM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 199
    • Points 2,580

The exact same thing happened to me. the same error after cloning my system to a SSD drive.

How did you fix the problem?

Thanks,

• Tue, Jan 28 2014 3:55 PM In reply to

I had to go back to my old spinning drive. When I later upgraded to MC7, Mountain Lion etc - I dug out the SSD and did an install from scratch and this does not have that problem. Not what you want to hear though!

• Tue, Jan 28 2014 7:27 PM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Belgium
    • Posts 199
    • Points 2,580

Thanks,

I'm using MC7 on Lion. I'll do an upgrade to mountain Lion and try again.

Did you clone your system disk with Carbon Copy Cloner?

• Tue, Jan 28 2014 11:08 PM In reply to

Yes I used CCC, maybe that's why? FYI I did a complete fresh install (I always do).

• Wed, Apr 9 2014 9:42 AM In reply to

• m00nd0g
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 7 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I am seeing the same since upgrading Mac Pro with OS X 10.7.5 to SSD storage.

Media Composer version is 7.0.3

@Pol: Did upgrading to Mountain Lion 10.8 help for you?

• Wed, Apr 9 2014 4:36 PM In reply to

All working after a full reinstall. I cloned the HD before. I'm not sure if going up to Mountian Lion helped - that could have been the fix or the full install rather than clone could have been...

• Tue, Apr 5 2016 5:13 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 61
    • Points 730

Replying to an old old thread here but have just spent a few good weeks troubleshooting this and since this is one of the top-hits on google for the issue I want to share my solution. 

Trust me when I say that I've tried everything here. The solution that worked for me is at the BOTTOM of this post but I will document my long way there at first since it's a ridiculous problem and need to show at what lengths I've troubleshot it. My problem was on OSX 10.10.5 and on an MacPro 5,1. But the solution could very well be the same for windows. Would be interesting to know. =) 

Here I'll just write about the big steps. In addition to this a whole lot of poking around was going on comparing our edit bays down to file level with stuffs like 'fs_usage' and more to see what triggered this behaviour. 

Chapter 1 - False Hope

The first workaround that looked promising was this.

1. Uninstall media composer

2. Delete these two files if they're present on the system:

/System/Library/Extensions/AvidDX.kext

/Library/Extensions/AvidDX.kext

How you delete them isn't really in the scope of this post but if you're handy with the terminal this will do the trick:

sudo find /System/Library/Extensions /Library/Extensions -iname "aviddx.kext" -exec rm -rfv {} \;

3. Restart. Seems to be an important step, could be something with the kextcache.

4. Reinstall MediaComposer by the book, with the restart after install. 

5. Hopefully it works for you now. It did for me, but...

6. ...the problem is that the SECOND time you reboot it will fail again so it's not really a permanent solution. Tested at least 5 times and always the same. After 2nd reboot it fails with the same error. 

Not sure why but something related to the drivers seems seems to get corrupted. I've actually once managed to "manually" corrupt AvidDX.kext, or dependency, by just using ./HWinstall -version. Gave a kernel panic and when system came back MC didn't start, and the error was the very same. The good thing is that following the steps above I got it back running again.  

Also not sure why I had AvidDX.kext in two locations, maybe remains of different MC versions. After reinstall of 8.5.2 I only have it in /Library/Extensions/AvidDX.kext (and now also a zip as backup).

I repeated the above agaib but with an extra step where I after uninstallation manually deleted all remaning files that I could find. It didn't make a difference but this is what I deleted. Don't do this if you're not sure about what you're doing. Dangerous sh!t. 

sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/Avid

sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/Avid*

rf -rf /private/var/avidfs

sudo rm -rf /private/var/avidfs

sudo rm -rf /private/var/db/receipts/com.avid.*

sudo rm -rf /Library/LaunchDaemons/AvidISISDaemon.plist 

find /private/var/db/BootCaches/ -iname "*avid*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

sudo find /private/var/db/BootCaches/ -iname "*avid*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

sudo find /private/var/db/receipts/ -iname "*avid*" -exec rm -rfv {} \;

sudo rm -rf /private/var/root/AvidEditorMediaServices

sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Avid

sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Avid*

sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Avid\ Technology*

sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.avid*

sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.avid.*

sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.Avid.*

sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/Avid*

Chapter 2 - Firmware Upgrade from Hell

Disclaimer for next step. I really DON'T recommend anyone to mess with this but at the same time I know there's more people like me out there. But be advised, flashing your AvidDX hardware and playing with the tools below can kill your hardware and corrupt your system and lead to tears and dringing. 

So yes, after this I've played with the firmware in the Nitris DX. Avid support recommended doing a forced downgrade at a PC which I did at a sister company. Or tried to do since the HWInstall "utility" Avid provides really doens't work as described. Didn't help but couldn't stop fiddling with it so I dug deeper. As I said, avid do have a tool available for Mac and Pc for flashing the hardware, HWInstall. The only problem is that this tool, as much else, seems to be cooked up in an old cold war laboratory. On (a modern) mac the tool is outdated and doesn't work since some path's and flags in the apple script they use seems to be wrong. As icing on the cake, the guides available also seems to be wrong. So if you wonder how to actually flash your AvidDX hardware on mac (or pc) you can try these steps, but you do it AT YOUR OWN RISK. Simply run the hwinstall command from terminal and manually add ALL *.abf's as arguments to it (on Mac by drag & dropping them to terminal). See screenshot for example. I obviously have no idea if this is the proper way since there's really no documentation and the 'help' for the command isn't really helping. But these steps worked for me. 

The flags for the tools are not really documented but the ones I've used are these:

-version: displays a little version table of installed and expected.

-nopause: think this one makes you not having to hit enter after each flashed chip/file

-all: Assume this should load ALL *abf's in given path or running directory, seems broken and does NOT work here

-update: This one seems to check with installed version and if they're the same as what you feed it with it will not flash it. Remove this flag for a forced upgrade. At least this is what I belive it does.

With this I actually started to create a script that give me the option do downgrade to to any firmware from 8.5.x to 5.5.x. Can't help to wonder why Avid can support proper tools for it if even a hack like me can do it. 

Oh well... As the heading for this secion hints, no matter what firmware the box was running I got the same *** "A required hardware download was not performed" error. So another dead end.

Chapter 3 - hardware replacements

Avid did an RMA for the box. The new box arrived and I plugged it in. At first start of MC it was automatically upgraded to proper FW. After shutting down and having everything powerless for a few minutes I started it all up again. Same error. 

After more talks with the support it was decided that I would test another AvidDX hardware, another PCIe break-out card and another cable on the system. So I spent a sunday with this, testing the "possibly faulty" hardware in a known working system and known good hardware combo on the troubled system. On the known working system everything continued to work no matter what combo of card, box and cable I tossed at it. On the system with issues nothing worked. So a known working card, Mojo and cable didn't work on this particular system.

So at this stage I couldn't draw any other conclusion that it has to be something related to the software and/or OSX installation on the system. A Sunday well spent. =/

Chapter 4 - the defeat

I could really feel the taste of defeat at this stage and scheduled a re-install of the system. But this is when things gets interesting and when I found the solution that worked for me. Not sure that it'll work for everyone since it's such a silly solution that I'm not entirely convinced that it's permanent. But it have survived 10+ reboots so yeah, looks promising. 

Idea Chapter 5 -THE IMPLAUSIBLE SOLUTION Idea

So two seconds before re-installing the system a revelation came to me in the form of three chocolate candies from a left over easter egg. With this boost of energy I thought of something that felt so implausible that it for sure couldn't be the solution. Or could it...!? IMPOSSIBRUUUU! Or...? The test was to create a new user account instead of reinstalling the system... But why would that matter since it doesn't affect any global system files.  

But yeah, here goes nothing...

In short:

Create a new user account. Start MC from this account. Reboot/logout and start as your regular user. Start MC and hopefully scream out of joy.

In great length:

1. Create a new user account with admin privs

2. Reboot

3. Login as this new user, 'poop' in my case but I guess the naming is up to each and everyone and dependent on mood.

4. Start MC. 

5. Drop jaw on floor since it starts without error

6. Reboot

7. Login as 'poop' again.

8. Start MC. Still works!

9. Reboot

10. Login as regular user.

11. Start MC. 

12. Scream, dance and burst out in random "WHAT THE FOX'S!" since it starts without error. 

13. Reboot

14. Login as regular user.

15. Start MC. 

16. Repeat step 12. 

17. Delete the extra user account you created.

18. Write a lengthy post at the avid community.

I have no idea why this fixed it because creating a new user should only create a new user directory an not mess with the settings for any other user and/or the system. A far fetched theory, but the only one I have, is that there was some permission error for something outside of the user directory that was solved by starting as a new fresh user. Hence once this theoretical permission error was fixed the AvidDX hardware works for all users...

So an interesting test would have been to run 'repair permissions' but that never crossed my mind. And since there seems to be issues on Windows with the same error I still think it's a bit far fetched. 

It could also have been some sort of corrupt global config file that's changed/recreated when starting it as a new user. 

Yeah, I really don't know and without actually talking to the dev that created that error message, so we know exactly what triggers it, we're in the dark. Reaching out to the devs seems har though in something as corporate as Avid. [:'(]

I had planned to do an image the system before the re-installation and start comparing all files in the system to find the issue but "sadly" that never happened since the above solved my issue. I'll save that one for the next time.

Well... For sure one of the strangest ones I've encountered, in all cetegories. Hope this helps anyone. If not you can use the text for those nights when you have a hard time falling asleep. 

Is it too early to get drunk? Confused

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Wed, May 18 2016 8:58 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 61
    • Points 730

The joy. The constant joy of upgrading Media Composer... This solution doesn't work all the time apparently. Upgraded to 8.5.3 and after that I have the same crap on that client. The "user account" thingy didn't fix it this time. It has to be a combination of something in my long post.

...that or just totally random. That Avid should fix it or care about it feels highly unlikley. Angry

EDIT. One hour later.. This is what I did to get it to work now. Difference from above in bold and italics.

In great length:

1. Uninstall Media Composer

2. Delete AvidDX.kext. In terminal: sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/AvidDX.kext

3. In diskutility, repair permissions for system drive. 

4. Reboot

5. Create a new user account with admin privs

6. Log out as current user and login as new user.

7. Install MediaComposer when logged into this new user account. 

6. Reboot

3. Login as this new user, 'gargh' in my case but I guess the naming is up to each and everyone and dependent on mood.

4. Start MC. 

5. Drop jaw on floor since it starts without error

6. Reboot

7. Login as your intial original user, filmassist01 in my case.

8. Start MC. Works!

9. Reboot

10. Login as regular user again.

11. Start MC. 

12. Scream, dance and burst out in random "WHAT THE FOX'S!" since it starts without error. 

13. Delete the temporary user, 'gargh' in my case

14. Shake your head and go to bed and cry yourself to sleep over this idiocy. 

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Wed, Dec 28 2016 9:46 AM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 61
    • Points 730

Holy hell this is annoying. On this particular machine I have this for every upgrade and every now and then. =(

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Wed, Dec 28 2016 2:15 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,356
    • Points 207,260
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Henrik

I created a case to get this looked at.  could you please email me your system ID and Nitris serial #.

Thanks

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 4 2017 1:39 PM In reply to

I have the same problem as NEO (Henrik) but his guide does't work for me.

Do you have any update on this issue ? NitrixDX will not initilize, so MC comming up with "OS_Error" and MC is shutting down.

I allso getting it work on the first boot-up after a clean install of AVID MC, but from the second time and forward I get this "OS_Error" message.

Please help if you can :-)

Latest MC version, Win10pro/64bit, Xeon/E5-2650v4-2xProssesor/2,20Ghz, 12Core, 128Gb-Ram, NVIDIA M4000, Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller