Latest post Fri, Apr 29 2011 2:35 PM by cydodson. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:51 AM

• reckoner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 26 2010
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 142
    • Points 2,040

New Macbook Pro + Media Composer

Hey guys,

I apologise if this has been asked before. 

I'm looking at buying the new Macbook Pro 15 (2011 model). Does anyone know if Media Composer will work on this laptop? The system requirements don't seem to be very clear..

Also, does anyone know if Media Composer uses the AMD graphics chip or the integrated Intel graphics for rendering?

Thanks in advance..

Media Composer 7.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:12 AM In reply to

Re: New Macbook Pro + Media Composer

At this time, the new MBPs are not officially qualified/supported.  But, if you were looking at purchasing, I wouldn't get one with the integrated gfx card.  

Historically, Avid (nor FCP) has not supported Macs with the integrated Intel gfx card.  And also, historically, Avid has always maintained that the standard gfx card in any Mac is supported.  Thirdly, (historically speaking again of course) Avid has made an effort to qualify the most recent Mac computers as soon as possible.  

So, I'm not going to speculate to say that the new MBP will or will not be supported, but I think that one could draw a reasonable conclusion based on historical fact and practice.  Until it is officially supported, purchase at your own risk.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:18 AM In reply to

• reckoner
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 142
    • Points 2,040

Thanks for the info. I'm just a bit confused about the graphics card.. The system requirements page says Media Composer will only support Nvidia graphics cards.. So as the MCP has a discrete AMD chip as well as an integrated Intel chip, which would it use?

I just noticed that the previous Macbook Pros used Nvidia graphics.. so is it possible that the new ones with AMD graphics won't be supported?

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:39 AM In reply to

reckoner:
    The system requirements page says Media Composer will only support Nvidia graphics cards

Yes, because Avid hasn't finished their qualification process for the new MBPs and thus have not published a new sys reqs page.

reckoner:
    So as the MCP has a discrete AMD chip as well as an integrated Intel chip, which would it use?

Good question.  I would guess the AMD, but what do I know?

reckoner:
    I just noticed that the previous Macbook Pros used Nvidia graphics.. so is it possible that the new ones with AMD graphics won't be supported?

it's possible, but also possibly suicide for any major NLE producer to not support such a machine.  The extent of that support is what is in question.  For example, will the 15" model be supported? or perhaps only the 17"?  No one will know until after Avid finished their qualification process and for that reason, I would hold off on any purchase if possible.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:40 AM In reply to

• reckoner
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 142
    • Points 2,040

Ok, thanks for that :) Much appreciated.

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:21 AM In reply to

• reckoner
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 142
    • Points 2,040

One more question. Do you know if the 2010 Macbook Pro is supported yet? (i7, Nvidia 330m graphics).

Thanks.

Edit: never mind, checked the system requirements :)

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:08 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 4,844
    • Points 55,930
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The 13" Mac Book Pro has only integrated Intel graphics while the 15" and 17" models have AMD Radeon chipsets as well.  In other words, don't get the 13" model.  The other models either will or will be made to work, we just don't know how or when.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:26 AM In reply to

• reckoner
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 142
    • Points 2,040

That's great. So I can pretty confidently buy one knowing that it'll be supported at some stage in the future?

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 3:44 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 4,844
    • Points 55,930
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

As long as you are patient, yes.  They haven't been officially qualified and we don't know how long that will take and whether it will require a software update.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:55 AM In reply to

• reckoner
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 142
    • Points 2,040

Just thought i'd let you know - I decided to go for the new MBP as opposed to the 2010 model. I've got Media Composer installed and i've spent about half an hour playing with it. I can confirm that the basic features do work, and i've edited a basic 2-3 minute movie and exported it as mpeg and .mov without any issues :) 

However as i'm still learning how to use the advanced features of Media Composer, I can't comment on any of them.

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 4:45 PM In reply to

• projectrally
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 14 2006
    • Portland, Maine
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

This is great news.  At this point, you are able to link to all of your media and view it, correct?  Have you attempted any AMA access to files?  I too am on the cusp of purchasing an MBP for a project that starts up next week.  I'm not editing, I'm writing/producing, but I will be doing a lot of basic assembly work in Avid before the editor comes on board.  Since I'll be on the road a lot, I really need a portable solution, and if this will work with AMA, I'm good to go.  Can you do a quick AMA test and let me know if it works?

Adam Costa - Writer/Producer/Shooter who can kind of edit, but just a little bit.

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 9:48 PM In reply to

• reckoner
    • Not Ranked
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 142
    • Points 2,040

To be honest I haven't used AMA yet. I'm a film student but we're only 2 months into the course and are still covering the basics.

If you give me a rundown of how to use AMA, or link me to a guide, i'll be happy to test it out for you.

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:45 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,455

I have a new 17" 2.2 Quad with 8GB RAM. In addition to the standard 750Gb HD, I installed a 256GB OWC solid state system drive mounted in place of the optical drive. It's incredibly fast. MC 5.5.1 seems just fine. Windows 7 in Parallels off the SSD is lightening fast. This is one kick-ass laptop . . . 

2014 27" iMac i7 3.5, 512GB PCI Flash, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB, OS 10.9.2, MC 7.0.4, 2nd 27 inch Cinema Display. Also 17" MBP 2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 29 2011 2:35 PM In reply to

• cydodson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 23 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Just got 5.5 up and running on the new 17.  So far so good. Easy install, no problems.  Currently offline editing for network, so not pushing it.  Did get one error for a new Avid FX transition concerning the graphics card.  But it seemed to work even after the error.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller