Latest post Wed, Feb 15 2012 2:48 PM by George Angeludis. 56 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: Avid please bring Liquid back!!!!

The other factor that no one has mentioned here is market share and volume of unit sales. When an application simply doesn't sell enough units to make a profit for the company, a business decision has to be made, regardless of the capabilities and coding issues. It happens every day, in all sorts of businesses, including the media business.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:31 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

jiggyjay:

camoscato:
    I'm now going to step out of this thread so you guys can argue about the history of Liquid for the next 20 or 30 pages.

That is my goal!Big Smile

Avid General Discussions & Off Topic

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:38 PM In reply to

Moving this thread to General Discussions.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 2:46 PM In reply to

jiggyjay:
    ..., auto save, ...

Why do I keep on reading that MC does not have auto save? It's under Bin Settings in the Project Window.

As for the rest of it, I am sure there are many things that MC should co-opt from Liquid... and many that MC should stay away from.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 3:37 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

BobbyMurcerFan:

jiggyjay:
    ..., auto save, ...

Why do I keep on reading that MC does not have auto save? It's under Bin Settings in the Project Window.

As for the rest of it, I am sure there are many things that MC should co-opt from Liquid... and many that MC should stay away from.

For clarification... Liquid would save something like 25-ish times per second (yes... that's 25 times PER SECOND) with NO bad effects to your work progress...  Heck, you didn't even know it was saving the project till you had a crash and you would pick up EXACTLY where you left off.

Liquids Auto Save was definately in a class all it's own... but, may have seem a bit like overkill... at least, until you needed it.

Liquids autosave is one of those nice bell and whistles that seemed insignificant until it was needed... which was pretty seldom since the Liquid I used almost NEVER crashed or locked up... I wish I could say the same for MC5.  

MC5 is a relatively stable editing application ... but, no where near as stable as Liquid...  IMO

As a comparison... I recently did two projects very similar in nauture (same source material, effects, etc).... one was completed on Liquid and one on MC5... the project took about 3 weeks (ea.)... I had problems with MC5 about every 6 or so hrs. ... which means I had one major problem that required a restart about once a day (sometimes twice a day)... no biggy... editing wiht MC5 moved along after the restarts.  However, with Liquid... I had only one issue that required a restart in 3 weeks.  Doing the quick math - MC5 had about 15+ restarts vs. Liquid's 1.  Perhaps this is the price I pay for a new version of MC... and, if Liquid had come out with a new version... who's to say I wouldn't have the same problems with Liquid.  

Any who... MC5 is not a stable as I would have expected for an appliction that is priced higher than it's competitors.... which probably explains a lot about why MC has slowly lost market share over the past few years.

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:52 PM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

Larry Rubin:

The other factor that no one has mentioned here is market share and volume of unit sales. When an application simply doesn't sell enough units to make a profit for the company, a business decision has to be made, regardless of the capabilities and coding issues. It happens every day, in all sorts of businesses, including the media business.

I kinda mentioned that this is probably the reason Liquid was canned and not because it was "maxed out".. What i'm wondering is what the "Studio" users will migrate to after they've maxed out Studio.. I was introduced to Studio then moved to Liquid because I wanted something more powerful and wasn't going to break the bank! MC5 for $2400 is too big of a financial burden for Studio users.. So pretty much Avid is telling them to move to either Edius, Premiere Pro or Final Cut!

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:57 PM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

Joe M:

For clarification... Liquid would save something like 25-ish times per second (yes... that's 25 times PER SECOND) with NO bad effects to your work progress...  Heck, you didn't even know it was saving the project till you had a crash and you would pick up EXACTLY where you left off.

Liquids Auto Save was definately in a class all it's own... but, may have seem a bit like overkill... at least, until you needed it.

Liquids autosave is one of those nice bell and whistles that seemed insignificant until it was needed... which was pretty seldom since the Liquid I used almost NEVER crashed or locked up... I wish I could say the same for MC5.  

Yup a great save feature! I know MC5 has the attic and such but its just no the same..

Joe M:

MC5 is a relatively stable editing application ... but, no where near as stable as Liquid...  IMO

As a comparison... I recently did two projects very similar in nauture (same source material, effects, etc).... one was completed on Liquid and one on MC5... the project took about 3 weeks (ea.)... I had problems with MC5 about every 6 or so hrs. ... which means I had one major problem that required a restart about once a day (sometimes twice a day)... no biggy... editing wiht MC5 moved along after the restarts.  However, with Liquid... I had only one issue that required a restart in 3 weeks.  Doing the quick math - MC5 had about 15+ restarts vs. Liquid's 1.  Perhaps this is the price I pay for a new version of MC... and, if Liquid had come out with a new version... who's to say I wouldn't have the same problems with Liquid.  

Any who... MC5 is not a stable as I would have expected for an appliction that is priced higher than it's competitors.... which probably explains a lot about why MC has slowly lost market share over the past few years.

To its credit MC5 is still fairly a new software and Liquid did have its bumps and bruises the first year it was launched.. I remember all the bugs and complaints that it had as well.. Its pretty much like that with any product from cars to electronics.. 

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:06 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

(enter stage right for a quick replique)

Joe M:
    till you had a crash

and

Joe M:
    no where near as stable as Liquid

are sort of contradictory. Geeked

I saw the same sort of contradictions during the height of the migration from Liquid.

One person would say, "Liquid was an all-in-one NLE. One application that did everything. No need for 3rd party plug-ins like  MC uses. . . . "
    Then another would ask, "Will all of my 3rd party plugins that I have bought for Liquid over the years work with MC?"

There are other contradictions too, but I am leaving again (exit stage left . . . . .  final curtain!)

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 10:05 PM In reply to

One approach that makes it soooo much easier for new Avid users to learn Media Composer is to not use a generic qwerty keyboard - get the color coded and icon labeled key caps for your keyboard, or better yet, get the Avid keyboard itself.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 4:18 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

jiggyjay:
    To its credit MC5 is still fairly a new software and Liquid did have its bumps and bruises the first year it was launched..

Huh?  Media Composer was launched in the mid 90's.  When was Liquid launched?

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 4 2011 4:34 PM In reply to

Actually, the very first version, Media Composer 1, dates to 1990. It's ancestor was a pre-ILM George Lucas developed system that was known as EditDroid.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 9:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Haze:

jiggyjay:
    To its credit MC5 is still fairly a new software and Liquid did have its bumps and bruises the first year it was launched..

I think Jiggjay is meaning MC5, as in version 5.Maybe?

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. Pinnacle Liquid was not a completely new software when it was released. It was a further development of FAST Studio DV.
    So the comparison of MC5 (not new, but significantly upgraded from MC4) with Pinnacle Liquid ("upgraded" from FAST StudioDV) seems pretty reasonable to me.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:21 PM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

drbgaijin:

I saw the same sort of contradictions during the height of the migration from Liquid.

One person would say, "Liquid was an all-in-one NLE. One application that did everything. No need for 3rd party plug-ins like  MC uses. . . . "
    Then another would ask, "Will all of my 3rd party plugins that I have bought for Liquid over the years work with MC?"

Each person is different in how they use their tools.. Liquid's userbase was probably split in half, one side being the professional editor the other side is the hobbiest.. Of course the pros would prefer the plugins while the hobbiest didn't need more than what liquid offered. 

Haze:

I meant MC5. Just like with any new products theres always ironing out to do the first year its been released. So even though the software has been out for that long a new version will always bring new bugs.

Larry Rubin:

One approach that makes it soooo much easier for new Avid users to learn Media Composer is to not use a generic qwerty keyboard - get the color coded and icon labeled key caps for your keyboard, or better yet, get the Avid keyboard itself.

Yes that is one thing I will be buying.. I would like a keyboard that I can use for both FCP and MC.. Got any ideas Larry?

jiggyjay:
    I kinda mentioned that this is probably the reason Liquid was canned and not because it was "maxed out".. What i'm wondering is what the "Studio" users will migrate to after they've maxed out Studio.. I was introduced to Studio then moved to Liquid because I wanted something more powerful and wasn't going to break the bank! MC5 for $2400 is too big of a financial burden for Studio users.. So pretty much Avid is telling them to move to either Edius, Premiere Pro or Final Cut!

Funny when I said this then this thread comes up!

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/93604.aspx

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:56 PM In reply to

jiggyjay:
    I would like a keyboard that I can use for both FCP and MC.. Got any ideas Larry?

If you have a Mac Book:

Avid Media Composer Keyboard Cover

Final Cut Pro Keyboard Cover

Or, buy a programmable keyboard.

Or, buy two separate dedicated keyboards, one for MC, one for FCP.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 1:18 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Larry Rubin:

Yes, this helps a lot of folks. But I have customized my keyboard to the point that many things no longer match. I find it more of a distraction than a help having a printed and colored keyboard so I stick with the generic white one.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller