Latest post Thu, Jan 27 2011 11:01 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 27 2011 3:51 PM

• mrkasprz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 27 2011
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Cannot export QT Ref even after transcode

I'm trying to export a QT Ref file of a 1.5 hour project. Footage was brought in XDCam HD native, and then the entire sequence was transcoded to DNxHD220. When trying to export, however, I get the "Long GOP Media cannot be exported as a reference file" error. Even though every clip and title in the sequence is DNxHD.

I've tried exporting from the Unity LANShare, as well as consolidating media down for an export from a local drive. Neither worked. I've also tried a video mixdown, which resulted in Core Consistancy Failure errors on playback.

Any ideas?

ACU /// Avid Symphony v8.9.3 connected to ISIS /// MAC: El Capitan 10.11.5/Dual 2.66 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon/24GB RAM/ATI Radeon HD 5770 /// PC: Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 27 2011 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: Cannot export QT Ref even after transcode

mrkasprz:
    Footage was brought in XDCam HD native, and then the entire sequence was transcoded to DNxHD220.

When you say the sequence was transcoded, do you mean on import or as a video mixdown of the edited sequence?   I'm not sure about XDCAM HD footage, but with XDCAM EX you MUST do a video mixdown of the edited sequence in MC before exporting as a QT ref.  

MC 8.6.1 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Jan 27 2011 4:19 PM In reply to

• mrkasprz
    • Not Ranked
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Neither. Sequence was brought in XDCam native, and edited as such. Once editing was done, I selected the sequence in the bin, and transcoded the whole thing into DNxHD. (New clips/seq created) Then I tried to export the new sequence with the DNxHD media, with no luck.

ACU /// Avid Symphony v8.9.3 connected to ISIS /// MAC: El Capitan 10.11.5/Dual 2.66 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon/24GB RAM/ATI Radeon HD 5770 /// PC: Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:24 PM In reply to

• mrkasprz
    • Not Ranked
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact it was edited in multicam mode. If I do a match frame of a transcoded clip from the sequence, it takes me back to the original grouped XDCam native clips. How can I "unlink" my sequence from the multicam groups?

• Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:35 PM In reply to

mrkasprz:
    Once editing was done, I selected the sequence in the bin, and transcoded the whole thing into DNxHD.

Why don't you try the old fashioned way.?  In your timeline, mark the clip IN and OUT, select all the tracks, put the video monitor on the highest track, then SPECIAL --> VIDEO MIXDOWN.    When the mixdown is done, cut it into a new track above all the other tracks.  Then ONLY select the video mixdown track and try to export as a QT ref.   

MC 8.6.1 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:45 PM In reply to

• mrkasprz
    • Not Ranked
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Tried it. The video mixdown completes, but if I try to view the mixdown clip, I get a black screen with "Core consistancy failure."

• Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:49 PM In reply to

• makurnato
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 12 2009
    • Posts 32
    • Points 410

Maybe try the Transcoded Sequence but perform a Audio Mixdown before Exporting QREF,...

cause the Audio in the Transcoded Seq should still be linked to the original XDCAM Footage.

Avid MC Nitris DX; Version 5.0.3.7R; Hp XW 8600 / 8 x 3,2 Ghz / 12 GB Ram / Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 Avid Adrenaline; Version 4.5; Hp XW 8600 / 8 x 3,2 Ghz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:58 PM In reply to

• mrkasprz
    • Not Ranked
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Just tried an audio mixdown. Same result. So frustrating!

• Thu, Jan 27 2011 8:30 PM In reply to

• makurnato
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 12 2009
    • Posts 32
    • Points 410

you can Unlink the Sequence by CTRL-SHIFT right-Click the Sequence in the Bin,....

maybe you can relink it afterwards, and in the relink setting you choose

Relink Method: Specific Resolution

And for the quality you choose: only to DNxHD 220

Or if this does not work you could also try the following,... but it takes some time and needs

lots of disk space,...

Try to decompose the Sequence first and check the box "all clips in a group edit",

and after the decompose is done, you can transcode the clips,...

so all the clips in the group are transcode. 

And I would allways try the QREF export with an Audio Mixdown,... cause maybe the audio is still linked to

the xdcam footage

Avid MC Nitris DX; Version 5.0.3.7R; Hp XW 8600 / 8 x 3,2 Ghz / 12 GB Ram / Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 Avid Adrenaline; Version 4.5; Hp XW 8600 / 8 x 3,2 Ghz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 27 2011 11:01 PM In reply to

It could also be your Rendered Effects etc if you cut the sequence with the native XDCam and had your Renders set to Same As Source.  

Mixdown a 1 minute section and try to export that just to make sure that it is working properly.  My gut is that a 1.5 hr Mixdown at DNx220 is going to make a very large file that could possibly get corrupt.  

If the 1 min section works fine, then do the rest of it in 10 min chunks.  This will keep the media file sizes down for each individual Mixdown.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller