Latest post Wed, Oct 20 2010 6:51 PM by shaunmichael. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 17 2010 1:58 PM

MX02 Mini installation story/Problems

Hi,

I thought I'd just pen down my story of installing the MX02 in case it may be useful for others, and also, in case someone may come up with a solution to the only thing that I've not been able to solve so far (more later).

Here are my current system specs:-

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

8GB RAM

Dual Quad 2.33GHz Xeon

Quadro FX4600 (190.38 drivers)

Quicktime 7.6.6

Dual Dell 24" monitor (main monitor left)

1TB eSATA video drive

2x FW800 230GB

Matrox MX02 Mini

Installed my MX02 PCi card no problem and the system recognised it straight way.

Without Mini connected, rebooted system and installed Matrox Utilities v2.2

Problem 1 - despite setting the correct output project settings etc I could not get my HDMI monitor (32" Sony Bravia) to show the 1080i colour bars so that I could line it up.

Not to worry, I then ran MC 5.0.2 (which was what was on the system at the time) and all was well.  MC recognised the MX02 and there was an image on my monitor.  Load a clip, hit play from the source window and the video played fine, as did the clip's audio track.

Problem 2 - As well as the clip's original audio track, there is also a constant pulsing noise of varying pitch each time I play the clip.  This also happens when playing from the record window.

Time to update MC to 5.0.3.4, so I did.  Installation all went well after uninstalling old version of MC.

Still no Monitor Calibration output.

MC 5.0.3.4 runs fine and project loads (1080i@25fps)

MC locks on playback from record window. 

Check specs to discover that I was running QT 7.6.8 somehow!  Uninstalled MC, uninstalled QT 7.6.8, installed QT 7.6.6 and reinstalled MC 5.0.3.4 - still locking up on playback.

Uninstalled MC completely.

*SIGH*

This was all yesterday so I thought I'd leave it to today and tackle it again.

On start-up of my system (no MC installed), once logged in to windows, I noticed some Matrox activity on-screen and thought, "that's new!".  So I thought I'd try my luck with the HDMI callibration and BINGO, there it was.  Nice HD bars on my monitor.  So I lined them up as described in the instructions.

On to Avid.  Reinstalled MCv5.0.2 and but on reoboot none of the Matrox utilities were available.  Hmm.  Opened MC and playback restored.

Shut down MC, shutdown PC.  Unplug Matrox.  Replug, reboot, Utilites back.

Nothing seems to be consistent.  In MC (both 5.0.2 and 5.0.3.4, the audio monitoring mute button doesn't work, despite I thought that I'd read that this bug was fixed in MC5.0.3.4).

Audio problem is persistent maybe its the HDMI cable so I tried another - same problem.

How about installing a later version of the Matrox utilities?  I downloaded version 3.1, uninstalled v2.2 and tried to install version 3.1.  Total lock up of my system during install.

Forced the system to power down and unhooked the MX02.  Rebooted and had no problems installing the new utilities without the MX02 on the system - but this didn't solve the audio pulsing problem.

So, from my experiences I can't seem to upgrade to MC 5.0.3.4 without the playback locking up.

If I want to install the matrox utilities I have to do it after rebooting the system without the MX02 connected.

If I lose my utilities, powering down the system, then powering down the MX02, then powering both back up seems to cure the problem.

However, I can do nothing about this insistent pulsing when playing back through the MX02.  The picture looks great: colours great, image beautifully sharp to the point of irritating pimples and pores being visible (gotta love HD!) but audio useless for monitoring - has anyone else come acorss this at all.

I'm about to try my luck at reinstalling MCv5.0.3.4 - maybe I'll have some better luck today.

Shaun

ps - there is no MOJO on my system.

• Sun, Oct 17 2010 2:09 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Re: MX02 Mini installation story/Problems

shaunmichael:

Check specs to discover that I was running QT 7.6.8 somehow! 

As your system is living its own life and you seem not to be able to control that, I would recommend to start with unplugging your internet connection from your system before starting to looking for errors and fixing this

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Oct 17 2010 8:58 PM In reply to

Well, I'm pretty sure that was my mistake, despite thinking I was installing the correct version, but thatnks for the reply.  I don't have internet connected to the workstation.

Does anyone else have any issues like this (audio-wise) with the MX02?

I'll start unplugging/uninstallung peripherals (Contour Shuttle Pro2, Avid Keyboard etc) to see if these are causing problems.

Shaun

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 6:59 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Shaun, the Matrox unit with it´s own software and your Avid suite are 2 differnt animals not depending on eachother, the only restriction is that you have to use Avid certified software to be able to use it from inside of Media Composer.

Undependent from that, the unit will also work together with FCP and Adobe as well as being able to use it´s own software.

You seem to have done a lot of installs - uninstalls now, not sure where to start, my feeling is that you should do a clean install of both your OS and MC 5,03 using the correct version of Quicktime and also update to the latest patch for 5,0,3 currently 5,0,3,4 and do some tests that all works well before connecting the MM.

After that, switch off your system and connect your MXO Mini 2 and power it up, the light inside it should start to flash.

Then startup your system, you should get a firm light from your unit,  and install the Avid certified drivers from the Utilities / Matrox folder.

Your units firmware might be updated when doing this, to be able to finish that update, you have to power it off during about 10 secs, close down your system before doing that.

After a restart, all should work well

hth 

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 11:21 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,350
    • Points 96,600

mjolnarn:
    You seem to have done a lot of installs - uninstalls now, not sure where to start, my feeling is that you should do a clean install of both your OS and MC 5,03
    I think that this good advice.  I'm running a Mini with 2.2 drivers, and not only does Avid work well with it, so does CS5 and the Matrox utilities too.  I can see no reason why yours shouldn't.

A clean install will ensure that any stray dll's and other software will be cleaned up too.  This may be the cause of your problem.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 18 2010 12:35 PM In reply to

Don't rule out the Matrox unit itself being faulty. i had one that would overheat after 30 minutes and the HDMI output would start cutting out.

Try testing the audio problem outside of Avid. Maybe with Final Cut.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 18 2010 4:34 PM In reply to

Another suggestion for uninstalling. What I do to make sure I do full uninstall would be to remove the oem files from the inf folder.

After uninstalling MXO2 software...

Click on run

type in inf

in the list that pops up go through the oem files, when you come across one that has Matrox electronics written in it, delete it along with it's asociated PNF file.

Doing this ensures that EVERYTHING is removed.

It usually helps for me.

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 5:25 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 335
    • Points 4,130

Shaun,

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting - you mentioned uninstalling 5.0.3.4 and reinstalling. You know that the 5.0.3.x files are only patches that need to be installed on top of the full install (believe in this case 5.0.3). Readily evident in file size, etc.

Avid MC 8.10 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:44 AM In reply to

Hi Guys,

Thanks for contributing to the thread - some useful pointers there.  I'll try uninstalling (and checking all files - Thanks Digital Pete), then reinstalling again.  I'd rather avoid a complete OS reinstall if possible, but if needs must...

Bonang, yes, I realise that the 5.0.3.4 file is a patch, rather than a full install of 5.0.3 (which was where I started the upgrade from 5.0.2 initially).  Thanks for your input though.

I think I may also post this over at the Matrox forum when I get a chance and see if anyone else is having the same issues although I would have thought that this sort of problem would have been highlighted on day 1 of internal testing, so I imagine its something I've done, or my system.

Shaun

• Tue, Oct 19 2010 11:56 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

To test that the MM converts well, you could do a capture test with AV tools and have your screen turned on to see if the signal goes straight through and if the audio plays fine.

You might use componrnt or hdmi for the capturing parts.

Tomas 

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 5:29 PM In reply to

Hi,

Just a quick update on this so far.

Still no luck with curing the audio pulsing across an HDMI connection out of the MX02 mini, but I do get a clean RCA feed.  So currently I'm using the component output of the MM and the RCA audio outputs (using the avid certified Matrox Mini utilities).

As for updating MC to v5.0.3.4, I finally managed to get this version installed and working.  I removed the contour shuttle set-up, but would like to put that back, so will try reinstalling that later and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't affect MC.

In an effort to see whether it was the HDMI lead I was using, I did purchase a 4m high-speed lead but wasn't getting any picture from it (I assume it needs amplifying or something).  However, the audio was still corrupt even with this new lead.

Am going to post over at the matrox support forum and see whether they have any ideas, which I'll post here too in case it may be of use to others.

Thanks again for all your input guys, much appreciated.

Shaun

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 5:35 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Shaun, to isolate this to the unit, are you seeing the same things when using AV tools and have Media Composer closed down

Tomas 

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 6:51 PM In reply to

I've not yet tried that but will give it a go and post my results.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Shaun

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller