Latest post Tue, Mar 11 2014 4:21 PM by gumbaedit. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 6:20 PM

• Guy Harding
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 2 2010
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 62
    • Points 750

Working with BWF Audio

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with BWF Groups ? 

We are importing ALE's and then Batch importing the audio files (Wav's) and one of the 4 or 5 track clips are coming up as online and some are coming up as online, the original files are there on the drive we are importing on. We are using a PC MC5 and the audio was recorded on a Cantar X2. 

Any thoughts ?

g

2x2.4GHz Quad Core Mac Pro, 5.1 16GB Ram, OSX 10.8 MC 7.04 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 9:57 PM In reply to

Re: Working with BWF Audio

I never use the ALE's, I just import the files. Works for me.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 11:46 PM In reply to

• Guy Harding
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 62
    • Points 750

are your files monophonic or polyphonic ?

Do you just bring in each track separately or do they come in as a group of tracks?

G

2x2.4GHz Quad Core Mac Pro, 5.1 16GB Ram, OSX 10.8 MC 7.04 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 29 2010 4:05 AM In reply to

I've had success with both poly's and mono's from Cantar (and also from other recorders).

When you import BWF-M groups, make sure to check the "Autodetect monophonic groups" option in the Audio tab for the Import settings. If you do that, the resulting import is one single multi-track masterclip.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 27 2011 11:22 PM In reply to

• aclsanch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 29 2010
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160

I'm having a problem grouping the seperated poly files.  Because they still retain the track number from the poly file, I can't modify them all to track A1.  When I do modify them to A1, all the tracks relink to A1.  Is there a way to import the seperate mono files all as A1, so that I can easily group them?

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:18 AM In reply to

• Guy Harding
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 62
    • Points 750

Why can you not group the Polyphonic clip and work with it that way ?

G

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:21 AM In reply to

• aclsanch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160

Because the Polytronic files have embedded track information, you cannot modify each audio track to A1.  Lets say the Polytronic file has 9 tracks.  After grouping, you have a group that consists of 9 tracks instead of having a group with 1 track that you can easiy right-click and change between the 9 different audio tracks.  Is there a way to seperate the Poly file into the 9 tracks, and then change the embedded track information of all tracks to A1, so when it imports into Avid, in the bin under the "Track" column they are all A1?

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:34 AM In reply to

You should not want that. The track number is the track number.

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:50 AM In reply to

• aclsanch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160

Why wouldn't I want that?  If all the tracks are A1, you can group the footage by In-Point, and then lay back only V1 and A1 with the ability to easily right click A1 and switch between the all the different audios without having 9 annoying tracks.

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:04 AM In reply to

OK, I was being bit bold. But if you ever go to sound post, you will have messed with the metadata, and that would be about the last thing I'd want to do. Also, by grouping them, you can only use one clip at a time (unless you splice them in more than once), where you may need to combine some of those tracks to make sure you hear want you want to hear.

Not sure where these nine tracks come from, but there may be utilities that let you split them and change track numbers. From a poly, Avid won't do it, though.

If you want to cut with less tracks, you could also sync up just one or two of the tracks from the BWAV, then use double-Matchframe to get back to the originals (first matchframe will load the synced clip into the source monitor, deselect V-track and matchframe will take you to the original sound-only-clip).

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:29 AM In reply to

• Guy Harding
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 62
    • Points 750

Im confused why you cant work with 9 tracks in the group ? Multitracked audio is a pain in groups but thats just the way that it is.  

if you want them as separate tracks you could export and then re import them but you will lose all the metadata.

I forget if the Polyphonic source files are saved separately or not, i think they are but without metadata.

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 9:54 AM In reply to

• aclsanch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160

One reason why it is inconventient to work with Polyphonic files is because you cannot rename each track.  If you have 9 tracks of audio.  And like I said previously in the thread, it is far easier to edit with.  Rather than matching back, you can right click and easily change between tracks.  If you need another track to play, you simply option+drag, then right click and you have another track.

I just discovered that pro tools will easily seperate the channels and assign them all to track A1.  I wish there was a freeware or another way around this.

• Tue, Jun 14 2011 7:44 AM In reply to

• aclsanch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160

For anybody that wants to work with Polyphonic files easily in groups, I have finally figured it out:

Download the program "Wave Agent" (it's free).

Split the Polyphonic files using "Wave Agent".

Change add to the end of the new split audio files:     _1       This tells the Avid that they are all track 1.

Import and group.  Your A1 track will now be "right-clickable", and you will be able to select between the 9 audio tracks.

If you have a grouped timeline, before you begin cutting, load the sequence into the Source monitor and overwrite the A1 track into itself on all tracks.

Hope this helps anybody that hates working with polyphonic files.

• Thu, Mar 6 2014 5:03 PM In reply to

• splouf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 6 2014
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

That's the kind of solution I was looking for. Do you think this will work after I synced all my files via Autosync with audio timecode? In other words do I need to resync everything since that step is already done?

Are you adding the  _1  after or before the extension  .WAV on each file ?

Thanks

Mac Book Pro 9,1, (2012) runnin MC 7.0.5.5355 on Yosemite 10.10.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 6 2014 7:25 PM In reply to

• aclsanch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 160

Unfortunately you have to re-import all the audio clips, becuase the polyphonic wav files need to be split and have the _1 so Avid will know to assign them on Track A1 in the bin.  DO NOT bin > modify the splits to A1 because all the tracks in the polyphonic wav will relink to only the A1 track.  Avid's not smart enough to revert back either.

To answer your second question, I am adding the extension before the .wav on each file.  For example:

Your 9 track polyphonic file name is SOUNDFILE01.  After it is split in Wave Agent, you'll have 9 seperate SOUNDFILE01 files (SOUNDFILE01.01.wav - SOUNDFILE01.09.wav).  Change the names to:

SOUNDFILE01a_01.wav

SOUNDFILE01b_01.wav

SOUNDFILE01c_01.wav     etc.

Import. Then do the next polyphonic wav the same way (SOUNDFILE02).

It's a little heavy handed on the front end, but during editing it pays off because you can actually label your mics.  Any editor that has to take over won't have to worry about guessing who's mic is who's.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller