Latest post Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:46 AM by bogie. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 30 2010 2:13 AM

Cannot Capture Video - HELP! - Avid Media Composer 5 PC

I just installed the Media Composer 5.0 onto my DELL laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  The program installed fine and seems to work, but...

I then connected my Canon XH-A1S HD camera via firewire, installed the Windows drivers, rebooted the system and then launched Media Composer 5.0.  I started a new project, opened the Capture Window and was able to auto-configure the deck---it seems to control my Canon camera perfectly fine (plays, rewinds, stops, etc.), but it tells me that there is NO VIDEO INPUT!

On the Capture Window, it will let me select the Audio buttons (A1+A2) but it won't let me select the V (video) button!  (Also, under RES, it says:  "RES: Incompatible Format."  I'm not sure what this means or if it's related to my issue, but I thought I should mention it.)

I went to Settings, selected Deck Configuration, and it looks like it's set-up fine with the firewire.  I just don't know what else to do.  I can hear the audio playing into my computer, but no video.

Thank you SO MUCH for any assistance you can provide! 

Media Composer v.5.5.1 on my DELL laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Shoot on: Canon 5D Mark iii that records .MOV files at 1080/30p in IPB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 30 2010 2:27 AM In reply to

Re: Cannot Capture Video - HELP! - Avid Media Composer 5 PC

Under the "format" tab in the project window, have you chosen the correct raster dimensions for HDV - 1440x1080?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:46 AM In reply to

• bogie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 220
    • Points 2,645

Re: Cannot Capture Video - HELP! - Avid Media Composer 5 PC

be aware that most hdv cameras and decks allow the user to change the format over firewire between HD(hdv) and SD(dv25). Make sure your camera has that menu setting(usually called i-link/ieee1394 conversion) turned off. Avid won't let you capture DV in an HD project.

For this particular camera, go to VCR PLAY MENU> SIGNAL SETUP> HD DOWN-CONV = OFF

cheers,

bogie

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller