Latest post Fri, Sep 22 2017 12:55 PM by Pat Horridge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:06 PM

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

How do you copy bin columns used in one bin to another bin (or newly created bin)?

Or should the question be...

How can you duplicate (not linked)/copy a bin's text tab column set/group to a newly created bin?

Is this possible?

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:11 PM In reply to

Re: How do you copy bin columns used in one bin to a bin (or newly created bin)?

Hi,

At the bottom of the bin is a sort of long button with a drop-down list that allows you to pick different default bin views or save a particular bin view you've created yourself.  Set your bin up how you want it, then click the button, choose Save As and give the view a name.

Then, whenever you create a new bin you can just pick that bin view from the drop-down list.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 8.9.1 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:13 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

Re: How do you copy bin columns used in one bin to a bin (or newly created bin)?

... but, what if you have already created a bin...

...can you copy the columns from one bin to the other bin?

Being new to MC... I went and created a lot of bins to organize my project not realizing I needed to have similar column between bins.

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:17 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

Oooops... never mind...

I now... understand...what you mean in your response... the column will default to the template no matter which bin you are in at the time...

Thanks

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:22 PM In reply to

Hi,

Joe M:
    ... but, what if you have already created a bin...

...can you copy the columns from one bin to the other bin?

Yes.  It doesn't matter when you create a bin, or when you save a particular view.  As soon as you save a bin view you can use it in any other bin.

1. On any bin, choose whatever columns you want.

2. On the bin from step 1, click the Bin View drop-down and select Save As.

3. Name the view Joe M's Awesome Bin View.

4. On any other bin, click the Bin View drop down.

5. Choose Joe M's Awesome Bin View.

Now the bin from Step 4 should have the same columns as the bin from Step 1.

[edit] Cross posted with your response.  :)

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 8.9.1 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Sep 22 2017 11:37 AM In reply to

This is not very useful IMHO. It is very frustrating to not be able to set a default bin column setup for all bins that are created or for all existing bins without having to select the view from the drop down list in each bin - this is a spectacular waste of time, I'm sometimes working with hundreds of bins, and mouse clicking, moving and selecting the same view every time I need it. As far as I know this is the only way - please somebody prove me wrong....

Most editors want a default bin view with columns that make sense for them - IMO the settings/BIN dialog should contain the very same dropdown for bin view, so that you can select your default view for all bins as that user - or they could activate the select function in the settings tab for the project - which stores all the views you create anyway. If you right click these you can 'Restore to default' - useless function, delete is enough - as you can just make a new view. Again, this is Avid getting everything backwards - it should say 'Use as default' instead - do they really think that the default bin columns are so valueable? NIMHO. In my version 8.6.11 the default bin view defaults to a custom view Untitled and you have to work the mouse to select a custom view that makes any sense. What a waste of energy.

Even if you could set a default view on a project level, if somebody else wanted a different view than you, then they could make it and activate it as their default - it should be that all bins open automatically with a users default (like on most other NLE's), and you can always select a view that differs from the norm if you need it for special occasions in the bin view list, not the other way round like it is in Media Composer. That's not very intuitive - but it is typical.

It makes me wonder what the settings files for multiple users are for at all.

As per Avid on my avid machines. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 22 2017 12:55 PM In reply to

I think the ability to define and then apply to all new bins a specific bin view would be very useful.

However many editors use different views based on what they are using the bin for.

The ability to blanket reset all those could be very annoying.

A good compromise would be the ability to force a temp bin view on all bins during that session. A sort of override. With the bins saved view still retained. A bit like we have flat view to hide folders in the Project window.

Of course it all comes down to working practices.

I teach ingest and edit assistant courses and part of that is setting bin views and applying them in a sensible manner.

If the prep is done right the rest of the workflow is easier.

Having poor prep isn't the fault of the software. Sadly we now work in a world were prep isn't even considered let alone applied.

An issue like this would be dealt with using an edit assistant or a runner. Given the task of setting the project up as required.

But again that now falls to the editor, a much more expensive solution....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller