Latest post Sat, Jul 31 2010 9:31 PM by Camilo. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:33 PM

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Effect Question

I have a timeline with 2 video tracks, one has the video and the other has a title.  When I apply an effect to the video track, I can view the effect by scrolling the timeline, but when I play it back I get a black screen.  I notice on the track with the title that there is a thin red line along the top of the title track for the duration of the effect.

If someone can tell me what I am doing wrong I would be most grateful!

SemperFi,

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:35 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Re: Effect Question

Have you tried rendering the effect?

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:46 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Yes, I should have noted that I have rendered the effect...

Thanks for your response

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:54 PM In reply to

Under the special menu, is "render on the fly" active?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 5:27 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Yes, render on the fly is active and the effect has been rendered after being applied. 

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:04 PM In reply to

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot of your timeline?

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:22 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Carl, you asked me about posting a screen shot of a timeline once before.  How do I go about doing that?

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:26 PM In reply to

In the reply field, click on the options tab and then "add/update". Navigate to the screen grab and save. Then post.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:33 PM In reply to

Hi,

Camilo:
    Carl, you asked me about posting a screen shot of a timeline once before.  How do I go about doing that?

Taking a screen shot might be different on your computer, but on my laptop it's Fn+Prt Sc (make sure you can see your timeline on the screen when you do this), then open up Start Menu > Accessories > Paint and press CTRL+v to past the pic into it.  Save it as a JPEG.

When you reply to this thread there will be a button under the compose window that says Add/Update.  If you click that you can navigate to the picture you saved and attach it to your reply.

ciao,
    Carl

p.s.  I assume from your sig you're a Marine (or a former Marine).  I'm ex-Air Force, and the prospect of a former zoomie talking a jarhead through something technical is filling me with joy.  Wink

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:53 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Thanks for the instruction.  I hope this works.  Notice on the title clip the small red line above the transition.  It did the same thing when I tried to insert a freeze frame.  When I scroll through with the mouse I see the effect, but when I play back the screen goes black for the duration of the effect.

LOL... Yes, I am an old jarhead and feel like a total rock head trying to learn some of this new stuff. LOL  Good thing is failure is not in my vocabulary...  I will learn this program! :-)

SemperFi,

Camilo

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:59 PM In reply to

Hi Camilo,

The effect on V2 with the blue dot on it is not rendered.  Park your blue position indicator on it, right click and choose Render at Position (not in front of a machine, so the working might be slightly different).

Camilo:
    I will learn this program! :-)

I have faith in you.  :)

ciao,
    Carl 

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 7:09 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Well, that did the dang trick...  Any reason why that did not render when I selected the render icon and rendered the timeline that way?  Do you always have to do the right click and render in position like that on an effect?

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 7:30 PM In reply to

My preference is to mark the entire timeline end to end, all layers, and "render in/out". That will render the entire timeline, unless you have a nested fluid motion clip somewhere in the mix, which I find I must step into and render manually at position. And any effect that has a blue dot MUST be rendered to play in real time. You can usually, however, get a fairly decent slow motion preview of an unrendered effect when playing it back in the effects mode. Reducing the display resolution improves the performance of an unrendered preview.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 7:31 PM In reply to

Hi,

Camilo:
    Any reason why that did not render when I selected the render icon and rendered the timeline that way?  Do you always have to do the right click and render in position like that on an effect?

Whether you use the render button or the render at position command from the menu, what gets rendered is whatever is closest to the blue position indicator.  In your case that was the transition effect on V1.  If you'd parked on the effect on V2 and pressed the render button, it would've rendered the effect on V2.

If you want to just render everything all at once, mark and in and out around the whole time line, right click and choose Render In/Out.

ciao,
    Carl 

• Sat, Jul 31 2010 8:10 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

What that was showing was that your effect was rendered all the way up to where the red line starts. The red line indicates unrendered sections of a partially rendered effect.

Since that was directly over the transition on V1, my suspicion would be that you changed that transition effect and rendered it after you had rendered V2.

Since adding or changing anything on V1 unrenders the effect on V2, you should do an "expert render" after any changes like that. You can get to expert render by right clicking on the timeline. Expert render only renders what needs to be rendered which is a time and drive space saver.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller