Latest post Thu, Mar 2 2006 5:36 PM by Ian McMahon. 62 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 31 2006 12:06 AM In reply to

• dun4cheap
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • San Diego
    • Posts 2,013
    • Points 25,500

Re: Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

Marianna,

I didn't private message him on this because I thought this is something that should be answered in the Official Statement. Hopefully he is monitoring the thread he started.

Thanks for your time,

Intel Q6600 Quad COre ATI x4850 PCIE 4 Gig Dual Channel DDR2 1 to 7 Acard 2033s Duplicator with Pioneer Burners with Hard drive Le 6.1 sp2, LE 7.1... [view my complete system specs]

Ed Running AL 7.1 SP1

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 4:40 AM In reply to

• dun4cheap
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 2,013
    • Points 25,500

Marianna,

I still have not heard anything. However, that is ok, but I have a couple more concerns about what is on the current fix list. I have run in to some other problems like Images with the crossfade transition shift while fading. They shift vertically and its very noticeable and annoying. This also happens with DVD menus, they tend to shift up and down as well.

You said that you could answer some of the questions that I asked previously. I guess what makes me a little nervous about the situation, is that Avid has not officially acknowledged any real specific bugs and what bugs they hope to have fixed in the next service pak.

I just don't like waiting in anticipation only to be told after the patch that they were not aware of a particuliar bug.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Intel Q6600 Quad COre ATI x4850 PCIE 4 Gig Dual Channel DDR2 1 to 7 Acard 2033s Duplicator with Pioneer Burners with Hard drive Le 6.1 sp2, LE 7.1... [view my complete system specs]

Ed Running AL 7.1 SP1

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 6:50 AM In reply to

• Blofelds Cat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Australia
    • Posts 31
    • Points 445

jthill wrote:

Please know that we share your frustrations with version 7, specifically as it relates to DVD burning. We felt we had a good system for vetting the quality of this release and Version 7 scored very well in these metrics (similar to version 6.1).  We were confident that we would stick to our plan to do an immediate Service Pack for post release issues. SP1 was posted December 23 one month after v7 shipped, just as we had done for version 6. 

Well, this is the closest that any software company has ever come to officially acknowledging what long-term users of software have known to be fact for years: that software is released to the sucker ...er, consumer when it works 'most' of the time.

While I'm grateful that the chap from Avid has risked his job to present us with a candid picture of the status quo, the gesture in no way diminishes the disgraceful practice of releasing software that has not been adequately tested.

In the area of consumer computer software, the sucker ...er, consumer, is powerless to take action to retrieve their money when software simply does not do what it claims - a situation proven by the abundance of subsequent patches and bug-fixes (updates that may well fix a 'known' issue but which stop the sucker ...er, consumer, from using the software, in the intervening period - often equating to weeks or months -, to achieve what the software was purchased to do in the first place).

Don't release it 'til it works!!! Why is this such an unreasonable expectation?

Proudly non-Avid qualified - Avid Media Composer 3 - HP Pavilion m7288a - Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz - 4GB DDR Ram - Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT... [view my complete system specs]

www.ohmss-007.com

home of:

Far Up! Far Out! Far More! - James Bond, On Her Majesty's Secret Service

The Bondles - take a trip down Moneypenny Lane to a world in which The Beatles and James Bond collide with moderately humorous result.

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 7:01 AM In reply to

• Blofelds Cat
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 31
    • Points 445

kidVid wrote:
    we look forward to a quality release befitting the Avid Name.

Those among us who have a wide experience of Avid software and hardware based systems (both professional and consumer) will observe that the dodginess of the software is actually already in line with the quality synonymous with the reality of the Avid name.

Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted is what Avid do best.

Their 'name' and reputation was gained only by dint of the fact that they established themselves early on.

As soon as Sony get their second wind, Avid will be relegated to the place it deserves to be - as purveyors of beta software with extremely limited compatibility.

Avid is a con.

Proudly non-Avid qualified - Avid Media Composer 3 - HP Pavilion m7288a - Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz - 4GB DDR Ram - Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT... [view my complete system specs]

www.ohmss-007.com

home of:

The Bondles - take a trip down Moneypenny Lane to a world in which The Beatles and James Bond collide with moderately humorous result.

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 1:26 PM In reply to

• gsellis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Suwanee, GA
    • Posts 477
    • Points 5,865

LOL - Sony?  Yeah, right... (has VX2100 that has the same issue with audio that was in the VX2000 that was not corrected for the years it was available...)

Windows 7 X64 SP1; Gigabyte X58A-U3DR; i7-980;24GB;3 "Spidles" (OS RAID1; Capture RAID5; Render 1TB drive);nVidia Quadro 4000 259.77; onboard... [view my complete system specs]

George (the other one) You never appreciate boring until it gets interesting.

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 2:01 PM In reply to

• Barry Hunter
    • Not Ranked
    • Torquay S.W.England
    • Posts 66
    • Points 860

Big Smile [:D] Re: Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

"As soon as Sony get their second wind, Avid will be relegated to the place it deserves to be - as purveyors of beta software with extremely limited compatibility."

You do know where Sony got their software from for the "Edit Station" don`t you!

Maybe it isn`t generaly known, & certainley Sony dodn`t. It came from "Fast" the origonators of Liquid & of course that product is now owned by Avid.

That isn`t to say that Sony would continue to be aligned to Avid but it makes interesting reading. :-)

Barry Hunter www.videos4all.org
  • Thu, Feb 2 2006 2:20 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

I just wanted to add a short note here. While I do not make excuses for many of the problems with the current version of Liquid, I would suggest that those who complain the loudest volunteer to be on the beta team and maybe then they will understand just how difficult it is to test a pieice of software with over 14,000 features that has to work in two different standards (PAL & NTSC) and get it all to work right. It is almost impossible if not impossible. Still, some of us are trying very hard to get a solid release out in the very near future. Complaining and denegrating Avid does not help. Posting your problems and how they can be duplicated does. Putting them in Dave's bugtracker helps.

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 4:15 PM In reply to

• Ken
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 26 2006
    • Dunham, Quebec
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Geeked [8-|] Re: Avid Liquid 7 - Official Statement

Protect your investment. Post your problem and stop complaining. You diminish future sales of the product and the resources available to Avid for making the required fixes promptly .

I disagree with the request that we be required to wait for a total fix in a SP2. Until the software is fully fixed, throw us a few crumbs of minor updates as they are available to fix the problems that are causing the most difficulty. Surely not all the 14000 features are that tightly interelated and need to be fixed at the same time.

Ken
  • Thu, Feb 2 2006 6:12 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Jim did not say you would have to wait for a total fix. SP2 will address some of the most pressing problems such as DVD authoring and output. The big fix will be 7.1, which will take longer to release. So those "crumbs" will be coming soon.
    3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 7:10 PM In reply to

• Evan Graham
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Question regarding re-registration. If I sell my Liquid 7 software to someone else, can they re-register it? Thanks.

EvanG ___________________________ "Everybody's ignorant...just on different subjects." ~ Will Rogers
  • Thu, Feb 2 2006 8:07 PM In reply to

I have to agree with you a partially about beta testers, but I think that some of those who yell loudest would love to be beta testers but, it seems to be a closed shop.
    I offered  when Avid where at SMPTE last year and got a polite "yeah right' smile and never heard anything again.
    I spoke to my reseller who duelly told me he was a beta tester, Well sorry but why would you get a retailer to be a tester,  my reseller hardly has time to do his normal job let alone be a beta tester (his admition). I spend approx 4 hours a day infront of ChromeHD  and now a few extra onfront of L7 and make my livelyhood from it.
    The offer still stands.... will Avid accept it??

ChromeHD6.1 SP2, Windows XP SP2, xw8200 Dual 3.2Procssors, 2GIG RAM, FX3400PCI Video card, Rorke Galaxyi 280Gig raid, ADTX 600Gig raid L7 on HP xw8000... [view my complete system specs]
    Nick Public Image Productions Ballina Australia
  • Thu, Feb 2 2006 8:36 PM In reply to

• dun4cheap
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 2,013
    • Points 25,500

The beta test program is not open to all. I am afraid it has a taint of the good old boys syndrome. I too have requested to be added on to the Beta test list many of times.

Anyhow, my updated posting was not meant to stir up more problems. I am just concerned because I have a large project that needs to be done by the first week of March and if it certain items are not on the list of items being targeted for the sp2 release then I may need to look elsewhere.

Ed Running AL 7.1 SP1

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 8:48 PM In reply to

• astevens
    • Not Ranked
    • Anacortes Washington
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,945

James,

You are to be commended for the timely recognition of the problems and your extremely "stand-up" and direct approach to forthcoming solutions.  Very direct and straight forward.

I would say the company has a very valuable asset in you...

Andy

Intel Dual Xeon Workstation, Windows 7 64 bit, ATI Radeon 4850, 3 Terabyte on board SATA drives, 3 terabytes external eSata "G" drives, Liquid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2006 10:01 PM In reply to

• Blofelds Cat
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 31
    • Points 445

LewS wrote:

I just wanted to add a short note here. While I do not make excuses for many of the problems with the current version of Liquid, I would suggest that those who complain the loudest volunteer to be on the beta team and maybe then they will understand just how difficult it is to test a pieice of software with over 14,000 features that has to work in two different standards (PAL & NTSC) and get it all to work right. It is almost impossible if not impossible. Still, some of us are trying very hard to get a solid release out in the very near future. Complaining and denegrating Avid does not help. Posting your problems and how they can be duplicated does. Putting them in Dave's bugtracker helps.

I would welcome the opportunity to help Beta-test such a product. But as someone else has already said, the 'closed shop' policy of Avid prohibits such an outcome.

I'm thrilled that there are 'some' of you trying 'very hard' to get a 'solid release out in the very near future' but the software should have been solid before bringing it to market in the first place. It is truly amazing that the software industry actually thinks it acceptable to bring anything less than a solid build to market. It's no wonder that companies, like Avid, want a policy of laissez faire from governing bodies - it means they can get away with releasing any old crap they want without fear of any legal comeback whatsoever.

As for the statement, "...Complaining and denegrating (sic) Avid does not help...", I beg to differ. It establishes the balance between the bloated marketing propaganda of the company blurb and the reality of how the software performs.

I have yet to read anything on a product information, features and specifications page(s) of any software company, which alerts the sucker ...er, consumer to known major bugs in a piece of software. It's about time that software companies were forced to acknowledge such bugs on their product information sheets. If such legislation were introduced and policed, I imagine we would see the following flow-ons:

1) Release versions that actually do what they claim to do; any bugs being 'minor' ones.

2) Faster releases of bug-fixes (for those lesser bugs that crop up periodically)

3) Longer interim periods between full versions (because more time is spent on getting the software right in the first place)

4) New full versions that don't start the whole cycle of major bugs from the beginning again. 

Currently, there is no incentive whatsoever for companies like Avid to bring to market rock-solid software. I remind everyone that software, unlike hardware, is written code. Code can be re-written. The cost of code is the cost of the time of the programmer.

As long as there are apologist's, like yourself, out there defending the nefarious practices of software producer's, we the suckers ...er, consumers, will continue to be ripped-off in this manner. You see, once they have our money there is little or no obligation to fix any problems there might be with the software, no obligation to give the promised 'support' in a timely fashion (if at all) and no obligation to even acknowledge there is a problem in the first place.

Official statements such as the one from the possibly soon-to-be redundant Avid chap, accords nothing beyond peace of mind and the illusion that the problems are being addressed. It remains to be seen whether or not the issues will actually be resolved in a timely manner.

www.ohmss-007.com

home of:

• Thu, Feb 2 2006 10:10 PM In reply to

• Blofelds Cat
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 31
    • Points 445

astevens wrote:

James,

You are to be commended for the timely recognition of the problems and your extremely "stand-up" and direct approach to forthcoming solutions.  Very direct and straight forward.

I would say the company has a very valuable asset in you...

Andy

I certainly agree with your sentiments.

Alas it is the nature of 'management' to take issue with employee's who acknowledge or give the impression to the public that the company product is anything less than perfect (which is why PR people are employed).

www.ohmss-007.com

home of:

Page 3 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller