Latest post Mon, Nov 8 2010 3:00 PM by Randall L. Rike. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 18 2010 7:14 PM In reply to

• smithe1
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Washington
    • Posts 1,102
    • Points 13,340

Re: GPU Summary Proposal: MC5 Software and WIN7 64 Bit

smithe1:

Here is a shot from the Nvidea site is this the wrong card? It looks to have 1 DVI slot and is simular to the other cards I have seen.

I recieved a (short) cable with my HD Quadro FX 1800, fitting into the other 2 slot and on the otherside a DVI plug.So if you have a monitor with DVI input you can use a normal DVI cable to connect.

I have connect 2 monitors and with Liquid it works, did not try it with MC but that should work also in my opinion.

Henk

Thank you that is what I was looking for!

Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Core2Duo 3Ghz 4 gig ram Nvideo GT220 1gb DDR3 GC 4HD 500, 750. 300 and 300 Sata drives On board sound Realteck HD audio. [view my complete system specs]

Duo2Core 6300, 1.83 O/C to 2.44, 2 gig of 533ddr2 ram Win XP Pro, Asus P5L-VM 1394,DVD writer AL7.2, Ati X1300 pci-e 256mb,OSdrive 200 gig, 300 gig media,200 data drive removeable bay O/B sound. Moviebox delulxe. A good day editing beats a bad one anyday.

• Mon, Nov 8 2010 11:06 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,202
    • Points 14,415

BenoitM:
    My desktop (Liquid) currently has a  Radeon 4850/1GB GPU. For a dual-boot system (Liquid/MC), should I try keeping this GPU or should I plan for a Quadro 1800 without even thinking about trying the 4850?

FWIW, I was running MC5 on my desktop with the above described GPU, on W7/64 and the graphics adapter driver included in W7 (W7 autodetected the GPU and installed the appropriate driver). Everything was working more or less ok (I don't use a lot of FX - yet) even with MC's Video Display Settings set to Software OpenGL (no other choice possible). So I was believing that only a Quadro FX1800 or better would allow to have hardware OpenGL. But recently I took a moment to search about the Radeon 4850's hardware OpenGL capabilities, and discovered that by installing the latest AMD/ATI drivers for this GPU instead of the driver that comes with W7, I do get hardware OpenGL available in MC Big Smile.

As I'm thinking about a reasonably-priced laptop to run MC, this leads me to the following question:

When I read the MC sys requirements, I see Quadro FX family for Windows laptops, but "lower" end nVidia GPUs (GeForce) for the MacBooks...so, even if not officially supported by Avid, "cheaper" nVidia GPUs should work fine on Windows laptops as well, right ? And since I discovered my desktop's Radeon has also hardware OpenGL support in MC, AMD-ATI GPUs should work fine (with hardware OpenGL support) as well on laptops  ?

-> If I'm not in a mission-critical situation (i.e. I accept the consequences of not being in a Avid-supported environment), and if I don't want to pay the premium for a Quadro-equipped laptop, is it safe to assume that another "good" GPU with OpenGL will give me good performance ? IOW, beside AVID support and "ultimate" performance, what do I lose when opting for a "lesser" GPU (with OpenGL support).

Should I then give preference to a nVidia (eg. NVS or GeForce) or AMD-ATI (eg Radeon HD 56XX) laptop GPU ?

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, Nov 8 2010 1:14 PM In reply to

Hi,

BenoitM:
    even if not officially supported by Avid, "cheaper" nVidia GPUs should work fine on Windows laptops as well, right ?
    BenoitM:
    nd since I discovered my desktop's Radeon has also hardware OpenGL support in MC, AMD-ATI GPUs should work fine (with hardware OpenGL support) as well on laptops  ?
    BenoitM:
    is it safe to assume that another "good" GPU with OpenGL will give me good performance ?

I'd replace "should" in the first two questions and "will" in the third one with "might".  Cheaper nVidia cards might work (mine does, but that was just luck; I didn't pick it specifically to run Media Composer), an ATI card might work (but I'd say your chances are better if you stick with nVidia), and alternative laptops might work (again, mine does).

I think your logic is sound, but without someone testing Media Composer on the specific setups you mention it's hard to say for certain if or how well Media Composer will work on them.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Nov 8 2010 2:27 PM In reply to

"... is it safe to assume that another "good" GPU with OpenGL will give me good performance ? ..."

It's not only a matter of whether the card "has" OGL, but how it is implemented.  Avid's code is written specifically for the nVidia Quadro FX family's implementation of OGL.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Nov 8 2010 2:48 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,202
    • Points 14,415

Randall L Rike:
    It's not only a matter of whether the card "has" OGL, but how it is implemented. 

OK thanks for this addition...

Randall L Rike:
    Avid's code is written specifically for the nVidia Quadro FX family's implementation of OGL

But also nVidia GeForce in the case of Macs ? So why not GeForce on PC laptops ? (or maybe the code is so different between Mac & PC versions that even OpenGL calls are tuned differently ?)

MC 2018.12.1 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.0.0.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 8 2010 3:00 PM In reply to

(or maybe the code is so different between Mac & PC versions that even OpenGL calls are tuned differently ?)

That would be my guess.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller