Latest post Tue, May 1 2012 11:22 AM by George Angeludis. 283 replies.
Page 3 of 19 (284 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 15 2010 1:44 PM In reply to

Re: Essential Tips

Mike:

For you reference, here is a link to the Media Composer Keyboard Shortcuts. Check the link list on the right hand side.

UPDATE: Be advised that in MC 5, especially on the Mac side, some keyboard shortcuts have been changed.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 2:52 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Thanks Larry  - I've printed those out.  But ... the CTRL+ALT+K/L doesn't seem to be among them !!  (Probably my poor search abilities...)

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 15 2010 2:55 PM In reply to

Mike Shaw:

Thanks Larry  - I've printed those out.  But ... the CTRL+ALT+K/L doesn't seem to be among them !!  (Probably my poor search abilities...)

I'll relay that to Benjamin and he'll add them in. Thanks for that heads up!

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:41 PM In reply to

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:46 PM In reply to

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:06 PM In reply to

How to perform an overlap edit (also known as a split edit or "L" cut) in a single step instead of two separate steps. See this tutorial.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:45 PM In reply to

Floating in and out marks. If you already have an in or an out marked on a clip or sequence, parking the position indicator on a mark and holding down ALT while dragging will drag the mark along with the position indicator.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 11:38 PM In reply to

If you have the Nitris DX hardware (and I believe the Mojo DX as well) you have the capability to do realtime HD to SD down-converts while in your HD project by going into the video output tool - down-convert options: off, anamorphic, letterbox, center cut.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 16 2010 12:23 AM In reply to

A NOTE ABOUT KEYFRAMES:

When you build an effect with multiple keyframes and you extend the clip with that effect to a longer duration, you will note that the keyframes between the first and last have moved from their original positions. This is Avid's way of trying to keep your KF ratios in proportion. Avid refers to these as elastic keyframes. However, if you promote the effect to "advanced keyframes" (double line button, lower right on the effects editor tool in versions before MC 5) and right click on the keyframe icon, you can change elastic to fixed. The "in between" keyframes will now remain anchored at their original positions, regardless of the duration of the clip itself.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 16 2010 6:52 AM In reply to

Desktop

• Tue, Mar 16 2010 7:49 AM In reply to

Desktop

• Tue, Mar 16 2010 9:14 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Larry - that 'tip' about the 'eleactic - fixed' keyframes - best news I've heard in years !!  It has been an issue with me ever since I first started using Holywood effects - and all the NLE programs are the same - they use only what you call elastic' keyframes.  A real pain at times  - when for example, you decide to trim a clip that has a keyframed effect in it that's timed to match the clip's action: after trimming, the effect had to be re-worked so the keyframe points tallied with the clip frames again.

I asked for the alternative over and over again (Liquid).   I referred to the keyframe optionss though as being 'releative' (where keyframes are at 'percentage' points of the total clip length - what is referred to here as 'elastic'),  and 'absolute' (where the keyframes are fixed at particular frames of the clip).

In the end, I got the impression I was asking for something that was simply not physically possible to do.

And here it is ... in MC.  Brilliant. 

(I hope I understood it correctly... ??)

(Match frame is not a new concept for Liquid users - a very useful 'tool')

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 16 2010 11:42 AM In reply to

Mike Shaw:
    (Match frame is not a new concept for Liquid users - a very useful 'tool')

Match framing is one of the most powerful and time saving tools in the Avid tool shed. It's the easiest way to reload a particular clip in the source monitor without hunting through bins and it's the easiest way to re-establish sound sync when necessary. Also, check out "reverse match frame". Map it to your source monitor, and if the clip in the source monitor is used in the sequence, it will park the position indicator on that clip in your timeline.

A note about clip colors. The color bright red is reserved to indicate offline status. It's a good idea to save a custom timeline view with offline color active. This will allow you to see at a glance whether or not you have offline issues in your timeline. For more complex longer timelines with a lot a short cuts, you may need to magnify the timeline to see those offline indicators.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 16 2010 11:50 AM In reply to

MATCHING BACK TO PRE-COMPUTES:

Well, actually, you can't - at least not directly. But you can fool the application with this neat workaround. Park on the pre-compute in your timeline you want to match to. Mark the entire clip, and then CTRL + ALT + c will copy that pre-compute to the source monitor. You can then extend the duration of that pre-compute if necessary. One thing to note here, the "find bins" command will not function.

This technique is also very handy to copy a marked region of your timeline (any number of tracks) to the source monitor and edit it back into your sequence at a later or earlier position, something the software will not allow you to do directly (Can't edit a sequence into itself, the error will say). If you want to extract the marked region, use CTRL + ALT + x. You can also save that marked region as a sub-sequence by dragging it to a bin.

Many thanks to the late Joseph "sep" Mehr, who first posted this technique back in 2005. We miss you very much, Sep.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 16 2010 2:01 PM In reply to

COMBINING EFFECTS - NESTING:

There are essentially 3 basic methods to combine multiple effects on a single clip, known as nesting.

1) Use the up and down arrow keys on the lower left of the timeline toolbar to "step in" and "step out" of an existing effect to add a new one UNDERNEATH the existing one. This will result in the new effect being constrained by the original. For example, stepping into a PIP effect and doing color correction will result in ONLY the PIP being color corrected without affecting the rest of the image.

2) ALT dragging a new effect ON TOP of an existing one. The original effect will now be constrained by the new one, which will affect the entire frame. ALT dragging is the only way to combine effects on a motion clip. You cannot step into a motion clip or timewarp effect and place an effect underneath. As above, you can step in and out of effects combined in this manner and make whatever changes you want to whatever nested layer you desire.

3) Creating a multi-layer composition and using the "collapse" function. This will "sandwich" the multiple layers into a single layer "sub master" effect, which is very useful for clean, global transitions from a multi-layered effect to a single master clip, and vice versa. And, as above, you can still step in and out to reveal and work with the nested layers.

Up to 99 layers of nesting are possible within a single clip.  

***UPDATE***

As of Media Composer version 5, when parked on a nest, all effect layers in that nest will be displayed in the effect editor tool and can be individually manipulated without needing to actually step into the nest to do it. The obvious exception is if one of those layers is a color correction effect, which requires entering the CC mode.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 3 of 19 (284 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller