Latest post Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:40 PM by Blackburst1. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:12 PM

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

A simple one - start of clip button

Just a simple question here.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something basic.  When I did the upgrade from Express to MC, I notice that whenever I use the "Goto begining of clip" button, it takes me to the start of the clip and puts me into Trim mode.  In express, it would leave me in the mode I was in, when I used the function.

Anyone know how I can change this back so that when I want to move the CTI to the top of a clip on the timeline, it doesn't force me into Trim mode???

Many thanks.

- Avid Media Composer - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design DeckLink... [view my complete system specs]

Walter Lowe
    Blackburst Entertainment
    wlowe@blackburst.net
    http://blackburstentertainment.com

• Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:21 PM In reply to

Re: A simple one - start of clip button

Map FF and REW in place of next or previous edit. That will snap you to the an edit point without going into trim.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:24 PM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 587
    • Points 7,000

Use the FF and RW buttons (I think they're on "1" and "2" keys).

You can also go into the settings and choose whether you want them to stop on head or tail frames, and whether to follow or ignore the highlighted track selections.

These buttons were in  Xpress as well, but the "goto beginning of clip" buttons had their functionality removed so they were the same as FF/RW, and lots of people got used to using those ones instead. Once you get used to the MC settings you'll find it's great to have the option to jump to an edit and automatically go into trim mode. But of course, you don't need that all the time!

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:27 PM In reply to

And when in the effects mode, FF and REW will snap to next and previous keyframes.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:40 PM In reply to

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Thanks guys.  FF/REW totally did it for me.  In fact, I didn't have those mapped to anything on the keyboard.  I've been cutting Avid for about 7 years and I've been on MC for about 6 months now and I LOVE it.  That was one of the last things bugging me about the switch though.  I'm going to NAB in April.  Hoping to see something cool from Avid.

- Avid Media Composer - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design DeckLink... [view my complete system specs]

Walter Lowe
    Blackburst Entertainment
    wlowe@blackburst.net
    http://blackburstentertainment.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller