Latest post Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:02 AM by Brickwad. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:31 PM

• DMV guy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 7 2005
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

Pan & Zoom quit after Avid upgrade

We upgraded two of our three Media Composer Nitris systems to 4.02.2, and also updated the MAC OS to 10.5.8 a couple of days ago. Neither machine's Pan & Zoom effect works now. I've been using P & Z for quite some time with great success; I get the workflow with the filler, etc. just fine.

Currently, when I select a quality filter (Gaussian) and render the move, nothing happens. It still looks like "real time" low rez. Sometimes when I render, the screen goes black. In that case, if I just single click on the image load button in the upper left of the Effect Editor, the image re-appears, but still @ low rez. All of the various quality filters are rendering very quickly. Usually, the higher quality ones take a little while.

I trashed the Site Settings, Site Attributes, and MC State. I also trashed the MSM's and re-built the media databases. I also created a new User Profile, and opened a new project. Nothing helped.  Anyone have any ideas??

System Specs: (x 3)

Mac Pro Dual Quad Core

2 gigs memory w/ 1tb VideoRaid ST array

Thanks for any input!

(3) Mac Pro Dual Quad Core with 8 gb memory. MC ver. 4.0.5 (3) Avid VideoRaid ST with 1 tb storage Also linked via Unity Media Network ver. 5.1.3 (16... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:59 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Pan & Zoom quit after Avid upgrade

Try grabbing the P&Z plug out of a 3.5.4 system and drop it into your 4.x system and let me know if that works for you.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:44 AM In reply to

• cxi2001
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 166
    • Points 1,830

I encountered some weirdness too on our upgraded machines. I kept losing the photo's - you'd select which image you required from your HD, click on target view, do your keyframes and moves and all would be ok, but if you returned to that sequence in another session a large majority of the photos would be 'lost'. You'd have reselect them and show them again where the photo lives on the HD. I was working on a montage sequence of at least 30 pictures and it turned into a time consuming quagmire. Thankfully after hitting render they're all ok and i'm not touching them !

Media Composer 8.3.1 - Mac OSX 10.10.5 - Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz Intel i7 - 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 18 2009 9:25 PM In reply to

• DMV guy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 7 2005
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

DMV guy:

We upgraded two of our three Media Composer Nitris systems to 4.02.2, and also updated the MAC OS to 10.5.8 a couple of days ago. Neither machine's Pan & Zoom effect works now. I've been using P & Z for quite some time with great success; I get the workflow with the filler, etc. just fine.

Currently, when I select a quality filter (Gaussian) and render the move, nothing happens. It still looks like "real time" low rez. Sometimes when I render, the screen goes black. In that case, if I just single click on the image load button in the upper left of the Effect Editor, the image re-appears, but still @ low rez. All of the various quality filters are rendering very quickly. Usually, the higher quality ones take a little while.

I trashed the Site Settings, Site Attributes, and MC State. I also trashed the MSM's and re-built the media databases. I also created a new User Profile, and opened a new project. Nothing helped.  Anyone have any ideas??

System Specs: (x 3)

Mac Pro Dual Quad Core

2 gigs memory w/ 1tb VideoRaid ST array

Thanks for any input!

I started this thread on 11/5. Here's the update-

I temporarily installed MC 3.1.1 on a borrowed Mac laptop. I plucked out the Pan & Zoom bundle from that version and used that to replace the broken P & Z bundle in the 4.0.3 version running on one of our desktop workstations. SUCCESS!!

We have since done the same workaround on the other two Avids as well. Thanks to everyone for your help, especially BLKDOG for pointing us in the right direction. 

However- I must say that when I initially contacted Avid phone support when the problem first occurred, the person reading the "script" really didn't have a clue. It was due to my searching the forums here and on the L2, that we sorted this out. And this is not the first time that the phone support has come up short. My unit spends a tidy sum of money every year in order to have phone support for 3 Mac Avids & 1 PC Avid. And now my supervisor is saying "Tell me again why we're paying all this money to Avid every year?"                   Thanks again everyone,

Rick (DMV guy)

(3) Mac Pro Dual Quad Core with 8 gb memory. MC ver. 4.0.5 (3) Avid VideoRaid ST with 1 tb storage Also linked via Unity Media Network ver. 5.1.3 (16... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 18 2009 9:31 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Rick. Anytime you have a problem with front line support, please email Marianna Monatague, or even me, immediately and we will do our best to get it sorted for you ASAP. Avid wants you to have the best support in the business and we are determined to make good on that. We'll do all we can to help you out. give us a buzz.

Thanks,

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:05 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rick,

Like Todd said we take this very seriously...  I expect you will hear from Avid shortly regarding the experience so they can learn what we need to do to improve.

As for the P & Z plug issue....  I need to check with engineering in the am and see if there is something going on with the 4.0.3 editor install which is causing this. 

Has anyone else experienced it and did a copy of an older Pan and Zoom from an earlier editor fix it like Ricks did?  if so, what worked and what version had the issue ( 4.0.2/4.0.3??)

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:22 PM In reply to

Rick it was nice to speak with you by phone just now. Thank you for your time and your feedback and I'll send you my contact info too.

Tony

Tony Hamwey

Director, Customer Success

Avid

Please use the public user forums for technical assistance and advice. Please do not private message for product troubleshooting assistance. We do not... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:02 AM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

I would just like to point out that I took an Avid online survey a few days ago, and I was astonished when I received a phone message from a real person telling me how helpful my survey reply was, addressing some of the concerns i expressed on the survey, and leaving a name and number to call him back if I wanted to talk about my survey response or anything Avid. I was duly impressed. Well done!

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller