Latest post Fri, Mar 12 2010 1:05 AM by brainburst. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 26 2009 3:22 AM

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,407
    • Points 41,115

Avid and AJA? - KiPro

I realize that Avid does not want to give the hardware profit of IO to AJA just yet, but I must say that I am very worried about the AJA KiPro product.

I see this tool driving a whole lot of production to FCP based on the fact that KiPro currently creates only Apple ProRes files.

Why can't Avid form SOME partnership with AJA and get DNxHD as an option for the KiPro device?  Has AJA made a deal with the devil (Apple) that is so tight that AJA won't even talk with Avid?  Or is Avid so closed minded as to not see that helping film makers create easily used, high quality files in the field is in their best interest?

The AMA technology is a good idea.  But getting even closer to the camera - in such a manner as the KiPro does - seems to be a no brainer.  The current strengths of AMA are on codecs that were developed by the camera manufacturers - Sony mainly.  Do we think that Apple will write an app for Avid to support AMA?

Who is the roadblock here? Avid - publicly offer AJA a free DNxHD license.  You will profit handsomely on the back end.

Thanks,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Apr 26 2009 6:27 AM In reply to

Re: Avid and AJA? - KiPro

"... Why can't Avid form SOME partnership with AJA ..."

AJA already sells an OEM version of their Xena 2Ke card through Avid for the 4:4:4 implemtation of Avid DS.  They already have a relationship.  Hard to say why the KiPro is Apple ProRes only.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Apr 26 2009 4:14 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Randall L Rike:
    Hard to say why the KiPro is Apple ProRes only.

Because Apple has worked with AJA very closely.

What would help here is if AMA supported ProRes. Then you could mount the KiPro and start editing away instantly. 

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Apr 27 2009 8:56 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,407
    • Points 41,115

While having Avid bend to Apple MAY be the only way around this, I did find the following:

http://www.avid.com/forms/DNxHDinfo.asp

It looks to my mind that Avid is allowing developers to integrate DNxHD at no charge.  If this is true, then the only thing keeping AJA from doing it is ..... Apple.

Or maybe I am being naive as to what End User means.

How about a letter writing campaign to AJA?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Apr 27 2009 9:14 PM In reply to

I just sent my letter .....

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Apr 27 2009 10:16 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

jef:
    It looks to my mind that Avid is allowing developers to integrate DNxHD at no charge.

Not true. it is free to the "End User" which is you or I on our local computer. If you want develop an application using DNxHD you have to license it from Avid and pay whatever it is they want. I have heard over the last few years from several solid sources that this is what originally turned RED off of Avid.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 2:38 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,407
    • Points 41,115

Hi Terry,

That is sort of what I was wondering, but on the other hand I had to wonder why I could sign up with Avidand get an SDK?  Why would I need an SDK if I am not developing a use?  Well, I guess it could be for an in house application ...

Whatever, I still say Avid should publically offer a free license deal to AJA for DNxHD.

I know, I know.  I like to read Science Fiction novels as well ...

Cheers,

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 2:21 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

jef:
    Whatever, I still say Avid should publically offer a free license deal to AJA for DNxHD.

When I have asked Avid folks in the past about this issue, it apparently comes down to legal reasons that they have to charge.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 3:06 PM In reply to

• vince_429
    • Not Ranked
    • New Jersey - USA
    • Posts 32
    • Points 460

Removed my previous comments since it was pushing the thread towards speculation.

My mistake.

MC 4.0.5, MOJO, HP xw8600, single XEON X5460, 12gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500, Allegro FW400 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 3:39 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Guys, this is veering dangerously into specualtion territory. It's all well and good to leave the question for Kirk here but let's not get into specualtion on the costs for licensing. Keep it in the center of the road please.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Apr 30 2009 7:05 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,407
    • Points 41,115

Agreed.  All I ask is MAKE A DEAL !!

I don't believe that is speculation.  I see that as a plea!

Cheers,

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Apr 30 2009 8:24 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Is it not too late to make a deal, the product is out very soon it would need major work to put in the Avid codec chips i would have thought.

Avid needs to work better with Quicktime codecs.

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 2:34 PM In reply to

• fiendish
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 511
    • Points 6,275

Avid works great with Quicktimes per se, it just does not allow you to drop them into bins willy nilly without import. This insures reliable playback and good media management, features not available on FCP. AMA though has the ability to change all that in a straight forward way, though probably at the expense of the two things I just mentioned.

Back to the subject at hand. AJA must have a deal with Apple. It would be a complete no brainer to have a product with DNxHD / ProRes switching, something that would be attractive to almost all productions, and therefore camera rental houses, and steer the KiPro into high end projects.

i7-2600k Home Build - MC 7.0.6 / 8GB RAM xw8600 Dual Quad 3ghz - MC 5.0.4. on Win 7 x64 with Mojo SDI - 12gb RAM / Quadro 3500 and 3ware 9650SE Raid 5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 9 2009 10:45 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,407
    • Points 41,115

Totally agree.

There are several products which support both DNx and ProRes.  So there must be "a deal with the devil" between AJA and Apple. 

Please Avid, do what you can to change this.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sun, Oct 4 2009 9:48 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

Any news here?

EVS support ProRes and DNxHD

The BBC ingex project works with DNxHD and is open source - so presumably it is possible to use the DNxHD in a non-commercial way?

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller