Latest post Sat, Apr 25 2009 9:02 PM by kta. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 24 2009 7:47 AM

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 9 2008
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Transcode - Missing Audio?

I have just run some tests doing a transcode of a 5 minute sequence.

I was sure to activate all audio and video tracks. When I transcoded the footage (stock footage on various drives) to one seperate drive, the transcoded sequence had all the audio. The transcoded subclips created in the bin showed up in the source monitor but no longer contained the audio.

Just to see if the audio in the transcoded sequence was linked to the original footage, I turned off all the drives from that original footage, replayed the transcoded sequence, and the audio was no longer there at all.

My conclusion was the I only transcoded the video, and when it created seperate files - there is no audio attached to it at all.

I recall doing this before, and the audio would be a part of those transcoded subclips in the past. Is there a setting that I changed? Or is there a specific method to transcoding i must do in order to have the audio attached to it? Thank You.

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 5:14 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,500

Re: Transcode - Missing Audio?

Are you selecting Video and Audio on same drive?

-Matt M.

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 8:50 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Yes, I made sure that box was selected. When I do that, check the 3 "convert audio" boxes correct?

This is an HDV timeline - for the 3 boxes:

1. Convert Audio Sample rate: select 48 kHz

2. Convert Audio Sample Rate Bit Depth: select 16 Bit or 24bit?

3. Convert Audio format: select MXF(PCM)

Are these settings correct?

I think something got messed up after I cleaned up some old files in my drive, I'll continue to run a few transcodes and see what I get.

Media Composer 3.1.1, MacBook Pro, 4gig RAM, OSX Leapord 10.5.7 [view my complete system specs]

- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 10:52 PM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Okay, I think I've come to a conclusion about why some of the transcoded subclips do not contain audio, and some do.

In my timeline, I have 2 Video Tracks & 8 Audio tracks.

V1's audio is synced to A1 & A2. This is my interview footage, my B-roll is in V2 and the audio that is synced to that footage sits in A3 & A4.

When I transcode my footage, it consolidates both video tracks & creates subclips from them in my bin. Those subclips that are layed out in V1, A1, & A2 are the only ones that have sound to it.

So my conclusion is that the transcode does not recognize V2, A3 & A4 to be synced to on another, and so it does not capture the audio with it when it creates a subclip.

Is there a way to fix this, or perhaps are my editing techniques the reason for this problem?

- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 11:59 PM In reply to

Kevin:

Try this. Using CMD + Shift (or possibly CTRL + Shift, doesn't Mac have CTRL now?) Drag your B roll down to V1 - the key combinations will keep them vertically constrained - so you wind up with everything on V1, then try another transcode and see if it picks up the audio on A3 and A4.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 1:05 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Hi Larry,

I tried to drag the B roll down by using a lasso and the lift/overwrite arrows, also by clicking V2 as well, but it did not work.

It seems to be unresponsive when I do the CMD + Shift, when I do CTRL+Shift, the cursor becomes a notebook icon, and when I click, it acts as my right click and activates a drop down window.

What is the name of that function when you use CMD + Shift? I will do a search to see if it may be different for a Mac.

Thank You Larry.

- Kevin

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 1:11 AM In reply to

On my PC, when in life/overwrite segment edit mode, I select a segment or cluster of segments, hold down CTRL + Shift and drag the clip(s) vertically (in your case down from V2 to V1) and they stay constrained so that there is no horizontal movement of those clips on the timeline. On a Mac, I thought it would be either CMD + Shift or CTRL + Shift on newer Macs that would do the same thing.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 1:19 AM In reply to

Found it. For you, CTRL+ drag the segment selected clip(s) to keep them vertically constrained.

Source: Media Composer Keyboard Shortcuts

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 1:56 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Good lord, the keyboard shortcut chart is amazing, i just printed them and put them on my wall. Thanks for that link.

As for the CTRL+Drag, it was SUCCESSFUL! My subclips now contain the audio. There are some parts in the A1 & A2 that I used for smoothening out the audio (ambience), but that was not created in my bin either.

The problem I have when doing the CTRL+Drag function, is that it pushes some clips back further into the timeline.

If this is the only way to create the transcoded subclips w/ its audio, am I just doing the whole editing process wrong?

For HDV Should I:

1. Capture Footage

2. Create a sequence/ Rough Cut using only V1, A1, and A2

3. Consolidate/Transcode

4. Edit the transcoded timeline, creating layers of Video and Audio Tracks.

5. Effects, Transitions, Voice-over, Music, etc.

6. Finish - Output

What I did before was:

1. Capture HDV footage

2. Edit sequence (in the process creating multiple layers of Video and Audio tracks)

3. Add effects & transitions, music, voice-over, etc.

4. Consolidate/Transcode

5. Finish - Output

I feel this way now is exteremly inefficient and time consuming, because I would always have to go back to this footage to create a new sequence from scratch using the HDV footage, and not the transcoded, because it didn't have audio or anything. Am I on the right track to improving my workflow?

- Kevin

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 2:03 AM In reply to

Recommend you ingest your HDV material and then immediately transcode the source material to a DnX resolution before any editing, that way you're editing in an entirely Avid native environment.

As for the CTRL + drag, it should NOT have allowed any horizontal movement of the clip at all when you pulled it down from V2 to V1 - that's the whole point of vertical constraint. Very odd. Does CMD + drag do anything?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 2:23 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Yes, it did the same exact thing as CTRL+ drag. After I select my clips, I tried both the lift/overwrite arrow - which didn't cause horizontal movement, it just overwrote the footage, the extract/splice in was the one that cause the horizontal movement.

As for the DnX resolution situation, that was where I made my biggest mistake eh? I did try a few times, http://community.avid.com/forums/t/67007.aspx, but in the middle of the transcode, and error would pop up saying "unable to capture essence".

- Kevin

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 2:31 AM In reply to

From your other thread:

"The footage is split between a few hard drives plugged in using USB..."

Bingo. Avid does not support drives in USB connected configurations. USB connect can work for relatively simplistic timelines in SD, but for anything HD you're really pushing the envelope. Firewire connectivity or E-SATAs on SCSI is where you want to be.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 2:45 AM In reply to

• kta
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,880

Aha... I just purchased an e-sata adapter for my laptop. It can only plug in 2 at a time, so I'll take the weekend to transcode all the HDV footage from one hard drive to the other. I think this will make my editing experience much more pleasant from this time on Big Smile

Would it be safe to transcode all the footage into one drive, will it slow anything down, I recall you saying in the other PMM_insuffiicient_media forum that Avid works faster when there are multiple drives.

If it should be okay, I think i'll save up for those honker RAID drives.

- Kevin

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 2:55 AM In reply to

If you have multiple drives, it's always best to balance the load across the drives by "spreading the wealth" as evenly as possible. Use the hardware tool to monitor your various drives/partitions occupied space and capacities. Avid creates fragmented media streams of the files you ingest and scatters the fragments across drives/partitions/RAID arrays for the most efficient storage, retrieval, cueing and seamless playback in real time. This is the reason why you NEVER, EVER defrag your media drives. Don't allow any drive or partition to exceed 85% capacity - you will see ever increasing performance and response time issues.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 2:58 AM In reply to

And since you currently can only connect two drives, I'd recommend creating 4 partitions per drive for the most efficient use.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller