Latest post Tue, Apr 28 2009 2:15 PM by Moses.M. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 24 2009 12:16 AM

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 350

SD Monitor replacement

This may be a stupid question, but I'm fed up and need help. We have 5 old Meridien Avids and a Unity server. I think in the next year or so we hope to upgrade to HD. But in the meantime, our SD tube monitors are in sad shape, really unusable and getting harder to fix as tubes aren't being made any more. I need something to tide us over until we upgrade. Our machine room has the only accurate reference monitors now and they're questionable, but we go by them. I'm thinking that in the meantime we could use off the shelf LCD TV monitors with component inputs. I'm concerned about a few things.

1. How will I switch aspect ratios (16x9 and 4x3)? Will they automatically switch like my TV at home does (I don't think so, tho, that's probably handled by the broadcaster or the DVD player?)?

2. Is there a box that will unsqueeze 16x9 that I can put between the avid and the monitor?

3. Will my RGB BNC outputs from the Avid work with just a simple adapter or will I have to go composite? THANKS!

Adam 

Avid MC 5.0.4, Adrenalin, Mac OS 10.6.8, MacPro 1.1, 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core, EuControl 2.7.1 (latest version for Snowleopard), Unity [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 2:15 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

Re: SD Monitor replacement

ad 1.) most LCD TV have a button to reformat the video 4:3 / 16:9 / zoom....

ad 2.) no need

ad 3.) check the specifications of the monitors: some have a RGB input (scart) others have a component (YPbPr) input (chinch).

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller