Latest post Wed, Mar 9 2011 6:10 PM by Adman. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 17 2009 7:09 PM

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,163
    • Points 57,905
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

My start in the ad biz...

I suppose my advertising career really started as a youngster. In addition to baseball, football and basketball... I loved to draw, build/photograph model cars, construct wooden go-carts (and coast down the steep hill on my street) and play drums. I was building "sets" and doing "photo shoots" and (after getting a drum kit for Christmas) learning about music. I would set up a drag strip with the model funny cars and rail dragsters doing "wheelies" with cotton placed around the rear tires to look like smoke and photograph them with my Polaroid camera. I also built model ships, only to rig them with M-80's and firecrackers with underwater fuses and take them, along with my beloved German Shepard, "Napoleon," down to the creek -- climbing out on a limb to light the fuse -- to watch them explode. So, as a little kid I was setting up scenes and producing/directing live events.

Wink

Around eighth grade I became involved in amateur radio, joining an Explorer Scout troop specializing in ham radio. We met at Civil Defense in the basement of the city's courthouse. I had to study electronics and learn Morse Code in order to get my license. This experience probably helped me to become acclimated to using computers and working in broadcast advertising.

I kept a notebook of my drawings which were mostly hot rod cars. In tenth grade, a friend who lived on my street, showed them to his dad who owned an offset printing company. I was immediately hired to work for him in the art department...nights, weekends and summers. I learned the printing business and eventually became the art director. He sent me to commercial art school after I graduated from high school. I studied graphic design, typesetting and type specification, layout, paste-up, etc. My computer experience began with Compugraphic computerized phototypesetting equipment -- long before the first PC.

Later, I worked in the corporate advertising department for a regional furniture store chain. The advertising department worked closely with merchandising and marketing departments, so I began to see the creative process as an integrated aspect of the overall retail marketing effort. I later worked myself through business school (GA State's, Robinson School of Business) while working as a graphics department supervisor and graphic artist for a large, web fed creative printer. I majored in marketing with a focus on computer science.

As VP of the marketing fraternity in college I developed the first place written entry (out of 50 universities) in a national marketing/advertising competition. This led to an advertising agency job. The agency's billings were about 80% broadcast television and we handled advertising for an Atlanta television station that owned a leading video production facility. Awards covered the walls and shelves in the agency conference room -- including a Clio. I worked for several advertising agencies, both full time and freelance, over a period of several years, gaining extensive experience in all media, including broadcast and cable television.

Due to computer science studies in college and experience with computerized typesetting equipment on the job, I became enamored with the possibilities of having computer typesetting and graphics available as the first desktop publishing and photo editing software emerged on the scene. In fact, I had eagerly anticipated the inevitable development of computer software for graphics and typesetting on the PC...even accessing a type shop, via modem, that accepted *.txt files with embedded typesetting codes, similar to the codes used in phototypesetting equipment I had used for many years...including a million dollar behemoth -- The Compugraphic® Advantage® Page Makeup System.

Even after the debut of early desktop publishing software, I was surprised at the difficulties I had convincing agency principles (nice people who suffered from computer phobia) to adopt computers in the creative department...one of whom said that computers would "stymie creativity." The "horse and buggy" mentality was rampant in the early stages of computer graphics.

Anyway, after having worked at several full-service agencies, my advertising agency was borne partly out of my desire to pursue these emerging technologies without the burden of convincing others of the feasibility and potential of a changing technology landscape. In addition to computer graphics (Illustrator®, Photoshop®, Corel Draw®, Painter®, Flash®, etc.) I was eager to pursue Pro Tools® audio recording and Avid® Media Composer® video editing and Softimage|XSI® 3d modeling/animation on the personal computer as these technologies emerged. It fascinated me that systems that previously cost millions had become available on the personal computer with greatly enhanced capabilities.

I was recently asked by Boris to write the following article about my shop, and how we use Boris effects:

http://www.borisfx.com/userstory/davis.php

"Studio D"

MC 8.0, Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), 17" Macbook Pro i7 with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive. Suite 2. MC5, Dell Precision 650, 3.06 Ghz, Two internal... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 21 2009 1:34 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,134
    • Points 28,820

Re: My start in the ad biz...

Studio D is the kind of place I would just love to work!  My studio (Studio A, since I only have one at this location) has a Vox amp, one Stratocaster, and another hand-made guitar set up for slide, for me to my clients to pick on during a lull or creative break in an edit session....very very cool, Robert!

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Oct 21 2009 5:09 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,163
    • Points 57,905
    • BlogAuthor

Thanks Scott... I like being surrounded by creative toys. When working in "Studio D", I try to keep my Les Paul within arm's reach. Cool

MC 8.0, Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), 17" Macbook Pro i7 with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive. Suite 2. MC5, Dell Precision 650, 3.06 Ghz, Two internal... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 9 2011 6:10 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,163
    • Points 57,905
    • BlogAuthor

switthaus:

Studio D is the kind of place I would just love to work!  My studio (Studio A, since I only have one at this location) has a Vox amp, one Stratocaster, and another hand-made guitar set up for slide, for me to my clients to pick on during a lull or creative break in an edit session....very very cool, Robert!

The "D" in "Studio D" stands for "Davis," fwiw. Wink

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller