Latest post Fri, Apr 10 2009 12:45 PM by jwrl. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 9 2009 9:31 PM

• tsryan258
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Import issues with .mxf AND QuickTime .MOV files to AVID Express Pro HD ver 5.2.4

Anyone have experience with both Final Cut Pro and Avid Express Pro HD (and P2 .mxf files)?

I sent a client's editor DVCPRO 50 (SD) footage shot with a Panasonic HPX170 (at 30P) on P2 cards as .mxf files saved to an external hard drive. He uses an AVID Express Pro HD v. 5.2.4 and said that he could not edit with the .mxf files.

So, via Final Cut Pro, I then Logged and Transfered all of the P2 footage so that it was converted to .MOV files within a FCP capture scratch folder. I copied all of these files onto a new FAT 32 formatted Hard Drive and Fed Ex'd the new drive with the .mov files. He said that he cannot open these files either.  He uses AVID Express Pro HD ver 5.2.4 with QuickTime 6.5.2. But, he also tested the recent QuickTime .MOV files on his non-editing PC which has QT 7.6 and the files still did not open.  Both drives I sent were formatted as FAT 32.

Both the .mxf files and the .MOV files work fine on my Mac Book Pro and Quick Time Player v 7.6.0.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on how we can get these files to work on an Avid platform?

After reading Avid forums, it appears that Avid Express Pro HD works with the P2 workflow and .mxf files???  What are we missing here?  

Other info: 

Footage was initially exported from camera to external drive and saved in the P2 file format (i.e. Contents and Lastclip.txt).  When the editor was not able to use these files could not be used, the footage was Logged and Transfered via Final Cut Pro v.6.05 which created .mov files saved to a Capture Scratch folder.  These files were than copied to a new FAT 32 formatted external drive and shipped.  

If it matters, all the footage was tested on a MacBookPro prior to shipping with no issues (I even created a couple of short synopsis vid's saved as H.264 to show client sample of all footage captured each day). 

• Thu, Apr 9 2009 11:50 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,084
    • Points 93,370

Re: Import issues with .mxf AND QuickTime .MOV files to AVID Express Pro HD ver 5.2.4

You will find a full explanation of how to import P2 media into Avid here.  Although this is for Media Composer on a Mac, the same techniques apply for Xpress Pro on a PC.  It's at the end of the thread, and gives not only the extremely simple method, but a detailed explanation of the process.

The problem with using FCP to convert the media is that when exporting you must use a codec that Apple have chosen to make available to the broader post-production community.  The simplest method if you feel that you must go that way would be to export your media using the QT animation codec, but this will give you huge files.  A better approach would be to download the Avid DNxHD codecs (the LE versions are free) and export from FCP using one of those.  They can then be fast-imported into Avid.

But I still feel that you should really use the P2 media in Avid natively, as outlined in the thread above.  It's simplest.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 9 2009 11:57 PM In reply to

• tsryan258
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Re: Import issues with .mxf AND QuickTime .MOV files to AVID Express Pro HD ver 5.2.4

Thanks for the reply.  

I might try the Avid DNxHD codec if it's easy to plug-in.  

I found out that the reason the editor cannot import the P2 files is because his version of Avid Express HD does not offer a "P2" option in the File > Import menu.

• Fri, Apr 10 2009 12:45 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,084
    • Points 93,370

That version didn't handle P2 by import, but only by direct file copying.  That method as outlined in the link above will still work.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller