Latest post Thu, Jul 4 2013 10:29 PM by BarkinMadd. 149 replies.
Page 1 of 10 (150 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 5:53 PM

• AvidNut
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,510

Show off the Suite Baby!!!

Hey all, I'm trying to re-design my dinning room into an edit suite future clients will appreciate and feel comfortable in. I am in no way an interior designer and get a mental block when I try and imagine what the room could look like. Funny, It's the same sort of block I get when the wifey drags me to the mall to look for clothes. It actually hurts my head. Anyway, I did a Google search for "edit suites" and "post production edit rooms" but it either turned up $100,000 rooms or the some guys dorm room with florescent lighting and a bed for a desk. So I'm calling on you to link some pictures to your room or suite that I can look at for ideas as I plan my own room. In return, you get to show off your environment to all your pals here and they get to admire your style and creativity or lack there of in some casesBig Smile

WORK SYSTEM: Avid Adrenaline Version 2.2.3, HP xw8000, 2gb/Ram, NVIDIA Quadro 4 980XGL Graphics Card, 1.120tb Internal Storage, Dual 20 Inch Mitsubishi... [view my complete system specs]
    Greg G. Avid Adrenaline Editor
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 8:25 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,402
    • Points 97,185

Re: Show off the Suite Baby!!!

It depends what level of professionalism you wish to provide.  For instance, can you provide direct access to your room so your clients don't pass through family areas?  Does your room have access to dedicated bathroom facilities?  Are you going to provide a client holding area?

Secondly how much hardware are you going to accomodate?  If you're dealing with just DV, maybe a large computer desk is all you need.  You will still probably need to provide a separate stand for your output monitor.

Think about storage.  You will need shelving for tape storage, DVD media, print media and paperwork

Finally, think about client comfort.  Good seating is a must both for you and your clients.  A good comfortable sofa and comfortable office-style seating should be provided.

A small bar fridge and coffee making facilities would also be a good idea.

So there's a few "seed" ideas.  Take any or all of it how you will.

And good luck.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 9:12 PM In reply to

• AvidNut
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,510

Thanks for the tips but I wanna see some pics. The room is already set up with the Avid in place, I just want to see some ideas on paint schemes, decor and furniture. I was a bit vague on who my clients will be but they aren't the high-dollar tightwads that most of us deal with who expect leather couches and straight shot to the bano (commode)(throne)(water closet)(bathroom). My clients are everyday people who just want to come over, relax and be invloved in the post production process. So thanks for the tips and I will use some of your ideas but like I mentioned in the original post, I need to see visuals and not written ideas becuase then the brain starts to hurt.
    WORK SYSTEM: Avid Adrenaline Version 2.2.3, HP xw8000, 2gb/Ram, NVIDIA Quadro 4 980XGL Graphics Card, 1.120tb Internal Storage, Dual 20 Inch Mitsubishi... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 10:13 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

here...look at ours.  been described as a brothel room or dracula's reading room, but 'fun to work in' is the overall quote...next redesign, I want mine to look like your dining room.  Just remember, Joe has first dibs on the red couch when do to the 'extreme makeover'.  LOL

greybox.cc

click on 'shop'

* EDITED by grafixjoe - MADE LINK ACTIVE (Scotty - you gotta get Firefox Wink [;)] ) *

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Jan 11 2006 10:25 PM In reply to

• AvidNut
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,510

BINGO!!!! Now that is what I'm talkin' about. Never been in a brothel but seen one on TV. That is a beautiful suite and it gives me some really hip ideas. Keep it comingBig Smile [:D]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 10:47 PM In reply to

• grafixjoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hurricane Alley
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,860

Here's my old workstation. It's been upgraded to a G5, but the arrangement is still the same. The stations are standing stations and the chairs are tall - like barstools:

HOME STUDIO: Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM / AMD Radeon HD 6750M / OS 10.6.8. / Apple Final Cut Studio / Adobe Production Premium CS6 ... [view my complete system specs]

Joey Morelli

Senior Video Editor / Compositor

EA Sports

www.easports.com

"IMAGINATION is EVERYTHING. It is the preview to life's Coming Attractions" - Albert Einstein

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 3:43 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

I think if I were to do it over again, I would try to orient the console so my back was not totally towards the client.  Maybe a profile set up, so if I had to make a face at some really bad idea, I could turn away a little bit and get away with it!  But I think the eye contact with the client could be better next time around. 

Scott Witthaus

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 3:29 PM In reply to

• AvidNut
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,510

grafixjoe wrote:
    The stations are standing stations and the chairs are tall - like barstools:

Sometimes when my back is hurting or my knees get stiff, I'd wish our edit bays had some type of raised platform like yours where we could put the keyboard and stand and edit for a while. The idea seems pretty cool but without back or lumbar support, do you sometimes wish you could sit in a typical chair and edit? Also, I like how you used the Suitcase 10 box as a wedge to level out the computer ontop of the raid drives. Did the interior designer charge extra for that?Wink [;)]

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 3:37 PM In reply to

• AvidNut
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,510

switthaus wrote:
    I think if I were to do it over again, I would try to orient the console so my back was not totally towards the client.  Maybe a profile set up, so if I had to make a face at some really bad idea, I could turn away a little bit and get away with it!  But I think the eye contact with the client could be better next time around. 

Ha! I do plenty of sighs and eye rolls and have two big 22'' monitors to hide my face behind though I have to slowly slouch down in the chair to get away with that. How many people sit on the beanbags? It makes the room look cozy but can the 30 somethings get back up?Smile [:)]

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 3:41 PM In reply to

Walter Murch prefers to edit standing up ... here's just one article ...

http://www.filmsound.org/murch/talented.htm

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 3:43 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

AvidNut wrote:

How many people sit on the beanbags? It makes the room look cozy but can the 30 somethings get back up?Smile [:)]

Yeah, that bean bag thing was in the FCP suite when we started, but it is long gone now.  tired of pulling clients out of that thing!

Scott Witthaus

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 4:09 PM In reply to

• AvidNut
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,510

Randall L Rike wrote:

Walter Murch prefers to edit standing up ... here's just one article

Great article. I love the way he explains why standing up provides a different creative focus. Very cool. I think the idea of having the keyboard table (if you will) be an architech's table because it would give you the option to sit in a high chair or imeadiatly stand up. I am always re-adjusting myself in my chair either because my rump gets numb or my legs start hurting and sometimes have to just stop what I am doing just to stretch out. The problem, it breaks my focus. I'd much rather have a multi-role desk that allows sitting and standing without having to stop editing. Hmmm. This is good stuff. Keep it coming.

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 4:28 PM In reply to

• Andy Browne
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • Posts 1,505
    • Points 21,000

Big Smile [:D] Re: Show off the Suite Baby!!!

Here is a little video I made about 2 years ago of my edit bay.  Much of the equipment has been upgraded.  Monitors replaced by LC displays.  PC upgraded to 3.0 ghz.  Scanner dumped in favor of capturing photos with 3 chip camcorder.  Printer relocated beneath desk.

The desk is a custom job made by a friend.  It was a copy of one I saw in a catagog that cost $2300.

http://dmvideo.net/wmv/office.wmv

Asus P5B-E, P965/ICH8R, 1066 FSB, 2GB Kingston DDR2 800 - Intel Core2Duo 2.13 GHz - Audigy2 ZS Platinum - Radeon HD4800 Series - 1GB - 3 Sata3 HDDs for... [view my complete system specs]

Andy Browne Boomers Offshore My Streaming Videos Call me on SKYPE @ abrowne1950

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 4:40 PM In reply to

• James Jones
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Posts 844
    • Points 9,545

Wow Andy...your are waaaaayyyy too neat. Am I detecting a hint of OCD?Big Smile [:D] I keep my area squared away, but yours made mine look like a city dump....lol

JJ

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 4:54 PM In reply to

• AvidNut
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,510

Digging the 10' table. Where did you get it for $500? I need that much room.
Page 1 of 10 (150 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller