Latest post Mon, Nov 13 2017 2:54 PM by Miguel Cunha. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 5:16 AM In reply to

• Nik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York
    • Posts 287
    • Points 3,630

Re: handwriting title effect

Douglas, thank you for creating that tutorial. My problem is I didn't realize Avid FX is an additional $200 for the the program. I just upgraded to MC last week and I assumed (we all know what that means...) I had Avid FX. I only have BCC. Ra-ey, I have photoshop, would you mind posting your steps? Thanks!

Media Composer 2.8 MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) [view my complete system specs]

"A Good Editor Never Sleeps"

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 5:44 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Nik:
    Douglas, thank you for creating that tutorial. My problem is I didn't realize Avid FX is an additional $200 for the the program. I just upgraded to MC last week and I assumed (we all know what that means...) I had Avid FX.

Later if you have the wish and the money take a look at this offer:

http://store.avid.com/us/index.cfm?page=templates/product_detail&PartNumber=7010-30098-01&categoryid=1400

In the meantime you will have to wait for Ra-ey's instructions.

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. The whole thread has led to 2 positive things for me.

1. I found a topic for a new tutorial   and
    2. I found out how to do that effect for the first time! Geeked

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 7:01 AM In reply to

Nik,

Unfortunately the Photoshop way won't help, as you need AvidFX as a Gradient Wipe "engine".

Okay, here's the Paint Effect way.  It's Old School and a little down and dirty, but should work ok.

Set up your timeline as follows:

V3  Paint Effect (on Filler)

V2  Title (Script Font)

V1  Video

Open up your Paint Effect.  Leave everything in its default (i.e Mode: Solid).  Select the Brush.  Pick a size that will easily draw over the line of the Script text.  Change the Colour to Black, and add a touch of Featuring (i.e. 2 points).  Draw over your Text, using only one key stroke (this is tricky and may need a couple of attempts).  Once you let go of the pointer the Brush tool deselects and you automatically enter Selection tool mode, which is what you want.

Select the first keyframe and change the Path amount to '0'; select the last keyframe make sure it is '100'.

Almost there...

Now in the same effect, select the Rectangle Tool.  Draw a box that covers the Brush Stroke you made, it just has to be big enough to completely cover it.  Change it's colour to White.  Go to the OBJECT menu at the top of the Avid and select 'Send Backward'.  This should send the box Back and bring the Brush Stroke to the front of your composition.

You should now have a Black swiggle on a White Box.

Now hold down ALT and drag the Matte Key Effect (from the Key Tab of the Effect Palette) onto the Paint Effect (V3).

There you go...

(lucky I'm working on a Saturday and need a distractionSmile).

Any probs, let me know,

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 7:10 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,850

That tutorial looks great, Douglas, although it only seems to play halfway through for me and then stops. I'll try again later
     and see if it works.

Nik, because I couldn't watch all of it I'm not if Douglas's method achieves exactly the same result as what I suggested but I think it does. If you don't have Avid FX you should give the animatte effect a go, bearing in mind Douglas's method which is perhaps simpler than what I explained. You should be able to do what you want to do using a combination of my method with Douglas's. Animatte really is an effect worth learning, there is nothing else like it in any video programme I've used and although it has a couple of limitations (don't add a PIP or 3D warp effect and start moving things round cos things get messy) generally it is extremely powerful for making masks that can be animated with keyframes.

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 7:51 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,850

Ra-ey Saleh:
    Draw over your Text, using only one key stroke

Nice one Ra-ey, this is essentially what I was getting at but using the Paint effect instead of animatte. But you should know that you don't have to do the whole text in a single paint stroke. You could use a different paint stroke for
     each letter and then key frame them so the first letter has the path "0" at the start of the clip and "100" after 25 frames, then the brush stroke over the second letter has a path keyframe
     of "0" at 26 frames and "100" after 50 frames, the third letter's brush stroke has the path keyframed "0" at 51 frames and "100 at 75 frames and so on. You can hold down the
    "alt" key and slide the keyframes around a bit to get the timing right. You'll find this a lot more accurate than trying to do the entire block of text in a single paint stroke.

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 8:05 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

gumbycat99:

That tutorial looks great, Douglas, although it only seems to play halfway through for me and then stops. I'll try again later
     and see if it works...........................

cheers

Campbell

Don't scare me like that Campbell!  Stick out tongue
    I had to take a look and see for myself.
    I hadn't had time to test the tutorial after I had uploaded it.............

However it did play through all the way................ Wheeewwwwww  Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 8:11 PM In reply to

Yeah Campbell, I was just trying to make it simple for Nik, but you're right I should have explained that bit in more detail.
    Intersestingly, the Photoshop > AvidFX way has to be done in one stroke, but you have a lot more controls in Photoshop to tidy up your initial stroke.

Good call though.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 8:43 PM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,850

Douglas - sorry, didn't mean to give you a fright. I could tell from Nik's comment that you'd posted it correctly, I figured the problem was at my end but tried several browsers last night and it always stopped at the same point. Today it played perfectly.

Ra-ey - as for making it simple, you're right of course. That's the best part of Douglas's tutorials, he manages to keep things simple and not at all scary. But I think it's good to mention how to make things more advanced - I think some of the discussions on Douglas's tutorial posts have served this. Start simple but help people get advanced if they want to. (This is where tutorials are better than manuals - instead of just explaing how each parameter works, we can give "real" examples of how to use them).

For example, in both Avid FX and the Paint Effect (or Animatte) you can use the pen/bezier tool to go back and tidy up the line that you've drawn, to make it tidier. You could probably also keyframe the width of the stroke if you wanted to get really fussy.

Actually the thing I like best about this thread is that it shows how three different people can use three different methods in Avid to achieve the same result. If you'll forgive the pun, different strokes for different folks Embarrassed

cheers

Campbell

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 8:59 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Nik, Ra-ey and Campbell,

I am glad to have been able to help.... and I am happy for the help I have received from you as we have looked at this question together.

Now the next step for me is to make a short tutorial this morning (after my coffee Geeked ) about a misconception I was responsible for starting .
    The new (short) tutorial will be called "Handwriting Revisited"
    In the first tutorial I stressed the need to do 1-stroke!
    This has started a rumour that it MUST be 1 stroke in AvidFX.
    That is not the case.
    I was making the Tutorial specifically for continuous handwriting, and for me, to get the correct feel of the handwriting I wanted to make it continuous.
    In fact multiple strokes are just as easy and feasible.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 9:52 PM In reply to

Very true Campbell, and to be honest, I'd forgotten about the beszier tools in Paint in AvidFX (which you also have in Paint Effect).

I love that fact that this effect can actually be done all with the Avid environment.

The only downside is that you either have to individuallly keyframe every stroke, which I've done and can be very time consuming.

The main benefit to creating your Matte it in Photoshop is that you can literally make the Stroke Gradiate/Fade from one side to the other (and decide the amount of 'steps' it will take), and of course you also have the additional 'Smudge' tool to tidy it up.  This can be done very quickly.

The downside is that this HAS to be done in one Stroke.

I made some notes a long time ago on this method.  Maybe I should post them on the Tip forum, though I think Douglas's way is actually more practical.  I wonder if you can decide on the amount of 'steps' the gradient will take in AvidFX on the Path setting?

Have to wait till I'm back at work, unless...

Good thread though, made me think!

Ra-ey

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 10:29 PM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,850

Sounds great guys. Douglas - I'd love to see your next tutorial. This is a very cool effect that people have been using for a few years for more than just a handwriting effect. There are lots of motion graphics sequences where lacey/filigree type patterns are slowly revealed, as though they are growing. This is done with the same method and in fact you could use it on any type of image to gradually reveal it using any combination of paint strokes and animated shapes. So it is a technique that can be used to really make beautiful graphics sequences.

Using Avid FX allows for greater flexibility than Avid because it is easier to take your handwriting effect and then make it move in 3D space over the background. This might be possible with Ra-ey's Paint Effect/Matte Key by collapsing the layers into a single effect and then adding a 3D warp, but I'm not sure, it may mess up the background layer.

In any case, I'd forgotten about the photoshop method - Ra-ey, do you know of any tutorials that explain how to do it properly? I think you're right that it might have some advantages depending on exactly what effect is desired.

Also, I wonder if it is possible to get all our discussion moved/copied over to Douglas's tutorial thread, so that people who watch the tutorial can get the benefit of hearing about the other methods we've been talking about.

Thank you again for such an interesting thread. Nik - how is your project going? Did you manage to get the effect to work?

cheers

Campbell

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 10:40 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Here is my "Handwriting Revisited" tutorial  to dispell any rumours that may have been inadvertently started by my first one.

I haven't been able to add this to my Tutorials list yet (due to problems with the MC forum at present - as soon as things are back to normal I will update there as well)

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. Campbell I will see what I can do about moving the relevant posts over to the Tips & Tutorials section.

• Sun, Mar 22 2009 12:19 AM In reply to

Great Douglas.  I didn't know that if you select all your Strokes and applied the Path animation it did them one after the other.  This is a massive time-saver and therefore beats the Paint Effect way.

Campbell, happy to post the Photoshop way when I get a second, but might take me a week or do - flat out at work and needs a little finessing.  Email me and I'll send you what I have now.

It stirkes me that essentially Douglas last tutorial is the best way if you have AvidFX, hands down.

The annoying thing is that each way is basically the same, it's the "engine" that is different.  If only you could specify a Path's "hardness" in Paint Effect - in other words, how the Avid interprets the gradient from Black to White, with a soft edge or hard.  Obviously, for handwriting you'd want a harder edge.

i.e. In Paint Effect (as I described earlier), if you then made the first kefriame White and the last Black, this would "fade" over the duration.  Unfortuantly, this gives the impression of the text just fading all up at the same time.

It would be great if you could tell it to interpret the Gradient more harshly...

Me thinks this should be a Feature Request!  Will do it now...

In the meantime, as I'm no AvidFX wiz, I was wondering if it was possible to take your Strokes then apply a library effect to it, i.e. one from the 'Gradient Wipe Transition' tab, 'Geometric Gradient Transitions' called "Brushstroke.without". Wouldn't this have the animation already, but then allow you to pick various "engines", i.e. soft edge or hard?

Ra-ey

Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 &amp;lt;!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Helvetica; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073711037 9 0 511 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Wingdings 3"; panose-1:5 4 1 2 1 8 7 7 7 7; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB; mso-fareast-language:EN-GB;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --&amp;gt; 

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Sun, Mar 22 2009 12:27 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Ra-ey Saleh:
    Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 &amp;lt;!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Helvetica; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073711037 9 0 511 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Wingdings 3"; panose-1:5 4 1 2 1 8 7 7 7 7; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB; mso-fareast-language:EN-GB;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --&amp;gt; 

Ra-ey,
    Who am I to disagree with the above?  Huh?

Seriously though, is that a misinterpretation of your code by the Forum's engine... or is it just for those who understand the codes?

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sun, Mar 22 2009 12:45 AM In reply to

Seriously, tried to delete that rubbish, but can't.  It's not in my composition, but appears when I post.

Weird.

Ra-ey

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller