Latest post Mon, Nov 13 2017 2:54 PM by Miguel Cunha. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 7:38 PM

• Nik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York
    • Posts 287
    • Points 3,630

handwriting title effect

Hi,

Is there a way to make it look like words in a title are being "written"? You know, letter by letter as if I was writing them across a page? I have sapphire effects, if that helps. Thanks!

Media Composer 2.8 MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) [view my complete system specs]

"A Good Editor Never Sleeps"

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 7:45 PM In reply to

• ThomasDubiel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 28 2009
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 75
    • Points 975

Re: handwriting title effect

Im pretty sure you can use the paint effect to create this.

Avid MC v3.0, windows vists sp1, gigabyte ga-ex58-ud4p mobo,6GB 1800 Mhz ram, nvidia quadro fx 1800, 500 GB 7200 rpm boot drive, 1TB 7200 rpm media drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 7:47 PM In reply to

• Nik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York
    • Posts 287
    • Points 3,630

Would you be kind enough to tell me how? I am unfamiliar with the paint effect. Thanks!

Media Composer 2.8 MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 8:02 PM In reply to

Do you want to handwrite in your own handwriting or animate a 'script' font onto the screen?

If it's the first, then you can bodge it in Paint Effect.

You can also use AvidFX, but it's pretty indepth, there's a tutorial here:

http://www.borisfx.com/red/Paint/Red%20Paint.html

Heroglyth is FAR easier and very easy to learn.  Get the free demo here:

http://www.prodad.de/gb/download.html

If it's the latter, then it's a whole other process!  Not impossible, just trickier and involves Photoshop (but actually might be quicker).  I can send you some notes if you message me off forum.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 8:23 PM In reply to

Hey Nik,

Ok, it sounds like you need to do something pretty basic, not needing anything like additional plugins. Paint Effect is the way forward. Drop the Paint Effect onto your clip (in Image Tab). Select the 'brush' tool and size, colour you want (you can change these later). Draw on your screen. When you let go of the mouse, the shape will select itself (the pointer tool in the Effects Editor will highlight, it looks like an arrow). This is good. Now select your first keyframe and move the Path slider to '0'. Now go to your last keyframe and move your Path slider to '100'. You'll have to do this on each stroke.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:01 PM In reply to

• Nik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York
    • Posts 287
    • Points 3,630

Ok, I see how to write my own words on the screen but I don't want to do that. Maybe I am misunderstanding you. I want to type quotes in a certain font (agnes) in my title tool and then make it look like they are being written across the screen. Can you help me with that? Thanks in advance!

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:08 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Nik,

If you have AvidFX then it is relatively simple.
    Below are 2 tutorials.
    The first one is the main one for you.
    It deals with drawing a route on a map. You just have to use the same method to do the handwriting.

The second tutorial is just some extra things you can do with the effect. You could use this idea to write different words that would appear after each other.

Good luck,
    Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:11 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Nik,

Apologies!
    I am just waking up here..... didn't even get any coffee yet.
    Saw your first post and rushed to put the 2 tutorials up.

THEN..... I saw that you don't actually want to write as the tutorials show.

Regards,
    Douglas

Edit: PS. Do you want the letters to appear as if they were written by a typewriter?
    or do you want them to fly onto the screen?

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:17 PM In reply to

• Nik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York
    • Posts 287
    • Points 3,630

Douglas,

No need for apologies!! Get to that coffee as fast as you can-I know I do!! I would like to see the words appear as if they are being written by hand, left to right on a piece of paper. I am using "agnes" font in the mc title tool and that is a script font. Is there a way I can do that? Thanks in advance!

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:26 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Nik,

I just had a quick mouthful of coffee.

I think I know one idea how you can achieve your wish, but I have never done it myself.

You would put the whole message on screen using your font.
    Cover the message with a mask (maybe not the correct technical term)
    Then move the mask slowly to the right... thus revealing the message which would begin to appear from the left.   (In Japan I would have to move it the other way.... or even vertically!!)

That is the idea.
    I think I will take a look at how to do that for my own satisfaction.
    However, it will probably not be done quickly. So, in the meantime, I hope someone else can come in here and help you out.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 12:52 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Nik! Big Smile

I figured out how to do it in AvidFX.

It is a little complicated to describe in words.... so I will start making a Tutorial about it.
    It should be online later today (my Japanese today! -  maybe tomorrow for you....)

Just be patient a little longer

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 1:47 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,850

Hi

I think what you want is called a "write-on" effect in After Effects. Perhaps Douglas will get a tutorial of how to do it in Avid FX for you (which will probably be a more accurate way of doing it) but you can try the following system out if you like. My method uses the Animatte effect, which is one of the coolest things in Avid. It is sort of the inverse effect of the paint effect, so if you watch Douglas's tutorials on the paint effect it will help you get familiar with the tools.

1. Make a title with the text you want. Edit it into the timeline.

2. double click on the title to open its layers. Drag an animatte effect (from "keys" section in effects pallette) onto the "Graphic Fill" layer - the bottom one of the two.

3. Read the help/manual about animatte. But basically the idea is to grab the paintbrush tool (or the linetool) and draw a continuous line that covers each line/letter in the text you want to write out. Go backwards, starting from the end and finishing at the beginning.

4. Now click on the arrow tool and select the line you've just painted. You can adjust the size of the brush to make it narrower or fatter. Make sure the mode is set to "Key out"

5. Here's the important bit. Click on the first keyframe and set the "path" to 100. make a new keyframe at the point where you want the text to be completely written out and set the path to 0. Now as you play the animatte will gradually reveal the text that it covers. (You might need to render it or just step through frame by frame as it isn't a real-time effect).

6. If you understand all this then you can do a more complicated version, with a new brush stroke for every line or letter that you want to reveal. With lots of keyframes you can animate them one after the other to "write" the text onto the screen.

A couple of tips to make working easier - when you're in effects mode use the magnifying glass tool to zoom in on the letter you're working on. Then hold down ctrl-alt to make the "hand" tool appear which will let you move the image around so you can get to the letter you want.

It's a lot of work but you should be able to do a hand-writing effect as good as anythin people do in After Effects.

Good luck.

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 21 2009 4:17 AM In reply to

• Nik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York
    • Posts 287
    • Points 3,630

Wow! Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. Douglas, I am looking forward to your tutorial later today (or tomorrow...) Thanks again!

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 4:31 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Here it is Nik!

Still hot!

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sat, Mar 21 2009 4:45 AM In reply to

Douglas, great tut.  I know a way of doing this using Photoshop that allows a little more finessing, but to keep it all within the Avid world is fantastic.

Kudos.Smile

Ra-ey

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller