Latest post Sun, Oct 5 2014 11:19 AM by Tiger_XP. 169 replies.
Page 7 of 12 (170 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:25 AM In reply to

Re: The First 100 Basic MC Tutorials - Completed May 11th, 2009

Hi,

AdrianMess:
    Well, it doesn't take long to see that the vast majority of the people on this forum are whores for MC5.  Most of you probably didn't even pay for the app, but downloaded it from a pirate app site.

This is a warning to keep your tone civil and your posts professional.  We're happy to listen to valid frustration and try to provide helpful suggestions about how to deal with it, but if all you're planning to do is vent unprofessionally, I'm going to moderate your account.

I'm going to send you this in an email and in a PM, and this is the only warning you're going to get.  The next unprofessional post from you will result in you being moderated.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 12:33 PM In reply to

Adrian:

I just want to reinforce Carl's warning to you and to let you know that I'll be keeping an eye on you and your posts as well. Read the terms of use which you agreed to abide by when you joined. We don't tolerate that kind of attitude.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:20 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Just got back from some classes and saw this Mess.

I add my support to Carl and Larry.

Another pair of eyes is watching.

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:38 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

The following is from our Liquid to Media Composer migration guide posted on our website:

Is Media Composer hard to learn?
    No it is not. One of the biggest problems most folks have migrating from Adobe Premiere, or Apple Final Cut Pro or Avid Liquid or any other NLE to Avid Media Composer is that they try to make Media Composer work the way they did before. That was my problem the first time I sat down with Avid Xpress DV so many years ago. I was getting frustrated because the Avid software was not doing what I wanted to do. One of our sales guys is an experienced Avid editor and he walked into the demo room while I was muttering under my breath. He asked me if he could help, so I said sure. He had but one simple piece of advice. "Avid is not Premiere/Liquid, so stop trying to use it like Premiere/Liquid. Clear your head and pretend you have never used any editing software. Allow yourself to become an Avid editor and edit the Avid way" That was the best piece of advice I have ever received about video editing, and it is now MY #1 piece of advice for all new Avid editors!

DO NOT FIGHT THE AVID WAY! Have an open mind and start from the very beginning accepting and learning the Avid workflow. Media Composer is designed for people who edit for a living, who face impossible deadlines and even more impossible directors or producers. That's why so much emphasis is put on the media management and the workflow. To watch an experienced Avid editor at the helm is a thing of beauty. Over time you will make Media Composer your own with keyboard shortcuts and your workspace will become customized for your most important tasks. One of the coolest things about being an Avid editor is that you can save these presets and take them with you to any other Media Composer editing suite.

The #2 piece of advice I give is this:
    Don't be afraid of Avid, it is not that tough or complicated. Just because it is designed to handle the highest pressure editing environments doesn't mean it's not for you. It is for everybody who wants to edit video as efficiently as possible. If you follow rule #1 above, you will find that you will take to Avid very quickly and it is actually the most logical NLE of them all. Don't try to master all aspects at once. You will be amazed how with each new editing job/project you pick up another tool or shortcut or feature that you never realized Avid had, but it had it all along. Invest some time in a good Avid training DVD, book or online course and you will find it worth every penny.

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:00 PM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 8 2005
    • North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,550

AdrianMess:

I still use Liquid 7.2.  It's the champ.  I have hardly ever needed to look at the manual from the time I first used it.  I can't understand why the ease of use in Liquid was not transferred over to this Media Composer monstrosity.  The rank audacity (or stupidity) of it's designers is an affront to faithful Avid users.

Wake up, Avid!  Give people something that they do not have to attend a year's worth of seminars to gain any degree of proficeincy!

Adrian,

When I started using Liquid I also found it totally unintuitive and confusing after having been used to editing with Premiere.  I used both the excellent book by Paul Ekert as well as tutorials by Adita and Paul Mitton to learn it.

Now with MC5 I find that Avid actually has included a lot of the Liquid workflow and with Douglas's tutorials I am getting a handle on MC5, probably faster than I did with Liquid at this point in my learning curve.

Media Composer 6.5 (software) Mobo: ASUS P9X79 PRO, CPU: Intel i7-3930K (six core), Memory: 32 GB DDR3, Graphics: nVIDIA Quadro 2000D with 1 GB GDDR5... [view my complete system specs]

Igor

• Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:02 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

No new tutorials added.

I was just making the titles for the two series simpler and easier to understand for newcomers.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 20 2010 3:46 AM In reply to

Re: Basic MC Tutorials - Series 1

You are so cool! Thanks a lot.
  • Thu, Sep 23 2010 8:42 PM In reply to

thanks for your efforts!!!

I use avid since xdv in 2003 and even i've not attended any avid course after using the demo project and reading a little the manual i easily succeded to make my editing as well as foolishing the software and getting what i spossible to get now with AMC. So, I suppose many people are attract (maybe) from money or TV business and want to be editor without having the mind for it.

I suppose is not a matter of easy or not workflow cause the workflow has to be in your mind first.

I taught editing in classroom using AXPro and many of my students succeeded to use the knowledge acquired to edit with FCP and are earning their living.

So, why to be frustrated or nervous. I suggest to approach this job with patience since the learning curve if needed. Just, last consideration. If instead of learning MC was a client that repetitevely ask us to change and rechange the editing cause he wants in that way what would be then the acting?

This job seen from outside is frustrating by itself, it keeps you sit for hours maybe to achieve the idea that only one frame was needed to change..........I wish anyone good luck and enjoy this job first!

Thanks again to you to write these tutorials very useful for anyone...my motto i taught to students was "never feel stupid if you don't remember how to use one button or function, just recall the help and go on!"

Bye

Angelo

XpressPro 5.6 on windows xp sp2 - toshiba A-100 mobile pc T2300 @ 1.66Ghz with mobile intel graphic card 945 GM Express chipset 2Gb ram internal sata... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 20 2010 11:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

wocmultimedia-italy:
    thanks for your efforts!!!

wocmultimedia-italy:
    Thanks again to you to write these tutorials very useful for anyone..."

Thanks for the kind words Angelo.

In case you missed it, here is a video on my latest addition to help users find their way around the 200 tutorials.
    You will have to visit my site to get the full story.

HERE IS THE VIDEO

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sun, Nov 21 2010 7:55 PM In reply to

Hi Douglas,

My are not just nice word but appreciation for your effort to teach tips to other.

I myself I realized a simple tutorial, entry/medium  level in Italian about MC5 and is very fascinating the teaching world. It helps to test myself and share my 30 years know-how with others.

I wish we can make something together.

Please, visit my website and let me some note in my email

http://www.wocmultimedia.com

Kind Regards,

Angelo Giammarresi

XpressPro 5.6 on windows xp sp2 - toshiba A-100 mobile pc T2300 @ 1.66Ghz with mobile intel graphic card 945 GM Express chipset 2Gb ram internal sata... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 22 2010 9:02 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

wocmultimedia-italy:

Please, visit my website and let me some note in my email

http://www.wocmultimedia.com

Wow Angelo!

that was an impressive collection of videos on your site.

I will take some time later this week and watch more of the samples.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 22 2010 9:09 AM In reply to

Hi Douglas,

Thank you!

I wait for your contact, i have some ideas...

I wish you a great week!

Angelo

• Thu, Dec 16 2010 2:48 PM In reply to

hi Douglas,

Have you visited my website again?

When have time you can contact me.

Regards,

Angelo

• Thu, Dec 16 2010 3:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

wocmultimedia-italy:

hi Douglas,

Have you visited my website again?

When have time you can contact me.

Regards,

Angelo

Hello Angelo,

Right now I am completely occupied with my classes and website.

I will probably not have time to contact you until after Christmas and New Year.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Dec 16 2010 4:42 PM In reply to

• Liquidator
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 30 2005
    • Wisconsin
    • Posts 65
    • Points 910

Win 7 64 bit, IE 9(beta). Tried to open with Safari and it gave me the error message about not being able to open WebResource.axd. I updated Flash and Java. On this machine I‘ve never had any problems opening Flash videos including your tutorials. Probably one of Windows updates knocked smth off?  Other people’s tutorials open just fine. Our office Win 7 with IE7? opens your tuts fine though. OTOH my Mac Book air does not open them - it just spins the loading thingy forever. Go figure.   Sorry, Sergei
    No1: Intel QX6700 2.66 quad CPU running at 3GHz on Intel BadAxe2 -975 mobo, Corsair PC6400 2Gb mem, ATI X1950XTX 512Mb video, Philips BD Burner, Audigy... [view my complete system specs]
Page 7 of 12 (170 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller