Latest post Tue, Jan 15 2019 6:52 PM by luca.mg. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 7:12 AM

Rebuilding databases

Back when I was an assistant editor, when Avid started acting up and media was going offline and not relinking (Meridian and ABVB) what I would do is trash the media databases and when I relaunched Avid, or just went back to it (after hiding it) Avid would automatically rebuild the databases...noticing they are gone. 

Well, here I am with Avid 3.0.5 and I was having relinking issues, so I trashed the media databases...only Avid didn't recreate them.  Does it no longer do that?  How can I rebuild these now trashed media databases?  I tried that option in the menu, but it didn't do it.

Help?

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 7:39 AM In reply to

Re: Rebuilding databases

"... Does it no longer do that? ..."

Yes, it still does it.  Although, since ABVB & Meridien, a new media type is available, MXF.  The media is in numbered folders, under \Avid MediaFiles\MXF.  If the databases don't automatically rebuild, it could be that the parent folders are corrupt.  You might try creating new folders, and moving the media.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 9:20 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

If you use a workspace on a unity server look at the names of the folders. If you digitize with Avid01 there will be a folder named \Avid Mediafiles\MXF\Avid01.1. If you trash the database in this folder only Avid01 will recreate them. So if you work on Avid02 rename the folder to Avid02.1 then launch Avid and it will scan. Or mount the workspace with Avid01 and launch Avid.

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 5:12 PM In reply to

Ahhhh...the "avid01.1" issue makes total sense.  We are on a Unity here with 4 Avids...so we have 4 folders inside the MXF folder. 

I guess I should mention that I have transferred all of this footage to an avid that is NOT on this Unity network.  I have copied the footage and exact file structure on a drive for use on my home system.  Since the company will shut down for a week after Christmas...mean serious lockdown...and I need to continue to work, so I was going to continue at home.  What should I do in this case?

My stop-gap measure is to copy all of the database files from the Avid's at work and replace the ones on the drives at home.  That might work.  Next time I will have to not do this on the finder level (although this worked for 6 weeks before yesterday) and instead use the CONSOLIDATE method.  Only that ties up the Avid when I am trying to work. 

Gah.

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 5:31 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Shane Ross:

Ahhhh...the "avid01.1" issue makes total sense.  We are on a Unity here with 4 Avids...so we have 4 folders inside the MXF folder. 

I guess I should mention that I have transferred all of this footage to an avid that is NOT on this Unity network.  I have copied the footage and exact file structure on a drive for use on my home system.  Since the company will shut down for a week after Christmas...mean serious lockdown...and I need to continue to work, so I was going to continue at home.  What should I do in this case?

My stop-gap measure is to copy all of the database files from the Avid's at work and replace the ones on the drives at home.  That might work.  Next time I will have to not do this on the finder level (although this worked for 6 weeks before yesterday) and instead use the CONSOLIDATE method.  Only that ties up the Avid when I am trying to work. 

Gah.

If your home machine is not unity then the media files folder structure may be different (can't remember, haven't done any maintenance on unity for years).

The correct one is now /Avid(or OMFI) MediaFiles/MXF/1 (, 2, 3 etc) So you may want to check that. I wouldn't try to take the databases from another system, but I don't actually know that there's anything wrong with doing so, perhaps BLKDOG or someone else can comment on that.

With regards to rebuilding media databases, I think it makes a difference what media type you have selected in audio and media creation settings. If you have MXF selected it won't scan the OMFI folders and vice versa. If you leave the audio as OMF and the video as MXF it'll always scan both. Or just toggle it, force a rescan and then switch back. Depends if you will be adding more of a particular media type or not.

EDIT: For this sort of thing there's no reason you should have to use consolidate. I only do so when the media I need is scattered all over the place or I'm consolidating a locked show to free up drive space. If I can find what I need by sorting on date in the finder I find that to be a quicker and simpler option. The only problems I've had with databases rebuilding have arisen due to my inadvertently messing up the folder names/structure (typos, putting media in the top folder instead of MXF/1, stuff like that.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 5:38 PM In reply to

And remember Shane, that each numerical folder inside the MXF folder will have media database files that need to be trashed to rebuild.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 5:58 PM In reply to

Yeah, I know that they will all have to be rebuilt...but how can I do that when I copied the exact Unity file structure on the drives and use this on a machine at home...it isn't connected to the Unity so I can't trash the databases and have them rebuild.  As stated earlier, they can only be rebuilt on the machine that made them...since we have 4 subfolders in the MXF folder.

Before yesterday all the footage showed up fine.  Then yesterday a few bins of footage didn't, and wouldn't relink.  I trashed the DBs and now they ALL show as offline and the media directories will not rebuild.  Guess I tried to be slick here and ended up messing a few things up.  I will be brining the databases from work and copying them to the home machine.  That should fix things...I hope.

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 6:38 PM In reply to

You might want to ping Randall Rike on this. He and Doc Avid are our resident Unity experts.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 7:11 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
      Avid Certified User

Just replace the unity folder structure with the non-unity one. Then the databases will rebuild.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 7:34 PM In reply to

OK...how do I do this?  Because if I move the files out of the individual folders into the MXF folder root level, it COPIES the files, it doesn't move them.  So that eats up space quick!

Or am I doing something wrong?

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 8:36 PM In reply to

Under Avid MediaFiles\MXF ... you can have as many numbered folders as you want.  You can create them manually.  Name them 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.  Take the media that is inside the folders that were originally named after the Avid systems, and drag the media to these new folders.  Since it's on the same drive, it should move, not copy.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Dec 17 2008 8:41 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
      Avid Certified User

I think that must be a unity read/write permissions thing. Just like the databases thing, I don't think any machine but the one that 'owns' the particular folder can modify it at all. Can you check the permissions on those folders/files?

How many subfolders are in each unity users mediafiles folder? ie what is the full folder structure? If there are no further sub folders within the initial avid0x.1 folders then you should be able to change the ownership on them to your admin account and rename them to simply 1, 2, 3 and 4 (just delete the avid0x. from each of them). The databases should then rebuild when you activate avid.

If there are further subfolders it'll be a bit more complicated as you'll need to renumber these as well and move them to the MXF folder.

Depending on how many files we're talking about here, it might be simplest to copy the contents of your first unity folder, then delete the original , then move on to the next. But you don't want to put your media at the root level of the Avid MediaFiles folder anyway. The normal non-unity structure for MXF media is Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 The first 10,000/5,000 files (depending on the version you're on) go in the '1' folder, then avid creates a new '2' folder and so on. So if you're doing this manually you'd create the 1 folder, add 5,000 files, then create a '2' folder and add the next 5,000 etc. For OMF media there are no subfolders (in a non-unity setup), just the OMFI MediaFiles folder.

• Thu, Dec 18 2008 6:16 AM In reply to

OK, you guy just plain ROCK!  I took the clips out of the Unity folders, put them into numbered folders in the MXF folder...1, 2, 3...and then launched Avid.  BOOM...database rebuild.

So now all I need to do is grab the new files that are captured at work, and drop them into a numbered folder and trash the database...and boom, they relink.

Awesome.

• Thu, Dec 18 2008 4:02 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
      Avid Certified User

Glad to have been of help.

• Tue, Jan 15 2019 1:20 AM In reply to

• tristanb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 9 2015
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

I'm having almost the exact same issue. Project formerly on an ISIS now moving to a sinlge drive. Everything was actually relinking just fine with except one piece of audio. The VIDEO mxf files and accompanyng AUDIO mxf files are together in the same folder and the VIDEO works but the audio is offline. I discovered I was unable to re-gerenate DB files as that was my first plan of action since dumping them and regenerating them solves lots of issues. Moved all the files into a new "2" folder, DB files renegerated - great! - still have the audio offline though. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller