Latest post Sat, Oct 15 2005 7:10 AM by Dave G. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 13 2005 11:11 PM

• oedipus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Hmm [^o)] Install advice - Xpress Pro to Studio

I'm installing four seats of Studio Essentials at the weekend on xw8000 equivalent boxes that have Xpress Pro HD on them and the data on hardware raid drives. Here's the questions:
    1. Clean install of XP Pro recommended?
    2. The raid drive (2x250gb) should survive reformatting the boot drive if it's a hardwire RAID?
    3. Can I bump whatever AVID version comes with Studio up to 5.2?
    4. Can I bump the other apps up to current versions and am I eligible for the Pro Tools v7 free upgrade?

There's more but I'll save myself something to do while I get yet another reminder of the wonderful features in WinXP (again)
    Hmm [^o)]

Tyan Thunder i7505 2x2.8 xeon Nvidia FX5700 2gb Ram 160GB system drive 2x250GB RAID ===== MacPro 2x2.8 Quad Core 2GB Ram 1x250GB 1x320GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 15 2005 12:10 AM In reply to

• Dave G
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 157
    • Points 2,190

Cool [H] Re: Install advice - Xpress Pro to Studio

1. You probably don't need to clean install, but depending on the current condition of the systems, you may find that it produces a cleaner end-result.  I went from Xpress Studio Complete to Studio HD without a clean install and it works fine.

2. The raid drive should be fine.

3. I'm a bit wary of 5.2 because of FX rendering issues I've experienced (stalls on rendering).  I'm sticking with 5.1.7 at the present time without any problems.

4. The applications that come with the Studio HD version are the latest that are tested to full compatibility.  Some people have installed newer versions of Protools, but I havn't heard definitively that it's an improvement.  I don't know of any newer versions of the 3rd party tools, but I may have missed them.

BTW: The method I use for upgrading my Studio HD systems at work is this (they're all on identical platforms):

-Set up one system exactly the way I want it
    -Use Acronis True Image ($40?) to take a snapshot of the HD and burn it to a DVD-R
    -Use the DVD-R to image the other systems

Makes it a snap to re-install if my students mess-up my machines, and much easier than having to set each one up individually with all of the support software I have on them (Adobe Suite, etc).

Dave

Television & Video Production Instructor, Online Editor & Post Tech.

• Sat, Oct 15 2005 6:59 AM In reply to

• oedipus
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Re: Install advice - Xpress Pro to Studio

Thanks Dave.

One question I have of Acronis True Image  - my machines are identical apart from XP licence codes and any software codes - how does Acronis True Image handle these - do you have to go through Windows activation each time?

Tyan Thunder i7505 2x2.8 xeon Nvidia FX5700 2gb Ram 160GB system drive 2x250GB RAID ===== MacPro 2x2.8 Quad Core 2GB Ram 1x250GB 1x320GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 15 2005 7:10 AM In reply to

• Dave G
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 157
    • Points 2,190

Re: Install advice - Xpress Pro to Studio

Well, the end result will be that all of your machines will be using the same windows installation code and will all be activated properly because all of the machines are running on the same hardware.

If you tried to use this image on a machine with a substantially different hardware configuration, windows would complain and de-authorize itself, but with a disk image installed on identical machines, there is no conflict.

I don't think there's any legal problems here either because you do own a seperate Windows license for all of your machines.

Of course, in my case, none of the machines I manage are connected to the internet for security reasons to reduce the possibility of contamination, so I can't be sure how online update services (windows update for example) would respond to it, but I suspect it wouldn't be an issue.

Dave

Television & Video Production Instructor, Online Editor & Post Tech.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller