Latest post Tue, Dec 9 2008 7:08 PM by cuervo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 30 2008 6:22 PM

• ccarnazzo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 23
    • Points 275

Best HD Export Settings

Hello,

I've got an HD project i cut in Media Composer 3.0.  My source was Sony XDCAM EX (solid state) at 1080i (60 fps).  Edit has gone well, but I've only got a Mojo SDI.  I cannot layback to HDCAM tape, my delivery format.  Sooooo, I've got to export from avid to re-import into Final Cut Pro (our only edit station with an HD Capture card).

My question is, what would be the best settings?

There are some limitations on my files.  XDCAM EX only shoots in 8 bit color space, so I don't need 10 bit format.  But I want the highest quality HD 8 bit file.  However I choose to export, it will then be transcoded to the ProRess 422 codec for output.  

So, what's the best solution?  QT with animation codec?  Uncompressed?  Can I do QT with ProRes codec, eliminating the need to transcode.  Or do I kick it old school and spit out a bunch of targa sequences.

It's a 28 min show, broken up into 7 min segments.

Thanks

Chris

Avid Media Composer 3.0 Mojo SDI Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 Duel Core 6600 @ 2.4GHz 2.00 GB RAM Sony XDCAM EX1 Sony Clip Browser 2.0 [view my complete system specs]

Filed under:
  • Sun, Nov 30 2008 9:48 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 1,743
    • Points 21,735
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products
      Moderator: Avid Symphony Nitris

Re: Best HD Export Settings

Your best bet would be to take the project and media to a post house with an Avid with DX hardware and lay it off to tape. The other option is to install Media Composer on the FCP system and move your dongle, media and project to that system. You now should be able to export out of the Avid as ProRes422. I have no idea how it will look.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Dec 1 2008 8:07 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 4,563
    • Points 53,885

Good day Bob, how about installing the Avid DNxHD codec on the FC box and exporting in such a format from MC?

MC 7 MXO2, P9X79 Pro i7-3930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro 600, StarTech PEX1394B3 FW controller, two 2x1TB raid 0 stripes + MC 3 on G4 MacBook 17" [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Dec 1 2008 1:00 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 1,743
    • Points 21,735
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products
      Moderator: Avid Symphony Nitris

This should work but would requre the EX footage to be transcoded to DNxHD and then to ProRes. That's a lot of transcoding and I have no idea what the picture quality would be in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Dec 1 2008 2:03 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 895
    • Points 11,995

Try the SHEER codec at www.bitjazz.com or the cineform codec at Cineform.com. They're both excellent cross platform codecs. DNx175 would also give you excellent results.

SYS1: ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz - 32Gb RAM - Quadro 4000 - Echo Mona ///SYS2: MacBook Pro 15 2014 Mavericks 10.9 ///SYS3: Lenovo... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Business Behavioral Performance Enhancement, Digital Imaging Canon 7d--Sony XDCAM EX1--Sony NEX VG10--Sony FS700U

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• ccarnazzo
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 23
    • Points 275

Well, after looking into your suggestion, I may be able to install the DNX codec on the FCP station.  So that way, I wouldn't need to transcode to ProRes.  But would a targa seq or uncompressed do the trick?  I'm not worried about file size for the transfers.  As long as they are under 750 GB and can transfer via firewire drive.  These files will be short lived.

One last question.  What are the best settings to use?  I've heard to always export in RGB color space, or the blacks will get really milky.  And I'm confused about the field order.  I usually go odd, but are these codecs progressive?  Am I missing something?

And if you have a suggestion on the best codec to IMPORT transcoded EX files, that would be appreciated.  I posted this question on a seperate thread, but figured I'd ask while I had your ear.

Thanks for the help.

cc

Avid Media Composer 3.0 Mojo SDI Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 Duel Core 6600 @ 2.4GHz 2.00 GB RAM Sony XDCAM EX1 Sony Clip Browser 2.0 [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 9:21 PM In reply to

• catwoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,355

You don't actually need to transcode your sequence to DNxHD. Just open a new video track in your final sequence and dump a "submaster" effect on the filler (it has to be the highest V track). Then, make sure your render settings (in "media creation") are on DNxHD 185. Then, mark the whole sequence and select only your audio and the highest V track with the submaster. Render In/Out. Export as QT "same as source" (leave markers and selected tracks like before).

If you install the Avid DNxHD codecs on the FCP machine, you should have no problem opening the QT file.

• Sun, Dec 7 2008 8:08 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 4,563
    • Points 53,885

Targa is fine and the fastest option, uncompressed is going to take a while to export huge files, I would avoid.

MC 7 MXO2, P9X79 Pro i7-3930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro 600, StarTech PEX1394B3 FW controller, two 2x1TB raid 0 stripes + MC 3 on G4 MacBook 17" [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 6:28 PM In reply to

• ccarnazzo
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 23
    • Points 275

Update.  I was able to install the DNX codec onto the FCP station.  It reads it just fine.  But the quality suffers a little bit.  Specificly, the blacks don't look as dark, as if someone cranked up the contrast.  And the highs look blown out.  Plus, I think there was a slight phase shift, or i'm just seeing things.  Did I add a large layer of compression, or did I export it incorrectly.  I'm thinking color space.  Should I use RBG or 701?

animation codec, on the other hand, looks a lot better. 

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 7:08 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 895
    • Points 11,995

ahhh...there's some funny things going on with the exact issues you mention....luma shifts, or perhaps gamma shifts. Importing at RGB and exporting as RGB will maintain the proper luma values (RGB16-235), however, the colors get slightly distorted. Could be a REC601->REC709 problem, but, I've never traced this down. There are some well publicized issues with QT distorting gamma values, which may also be the source of these problems.

SYS1: ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz - 32Gb RAM - Quadro 4000 - Echo Mona ///SYS2: MacBook Pro 15 2014 Mavericks 10.9 ///SYS3: Lenovo... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Business Behavioral Performance Enhancement, Digital Imaging Canon 7d--Sony XDCAM EX1--Sony NEX VG10--Sony FS700U

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller