Latest post Wed, Jun 18 2014 5:13 PM by Marianna. 60 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 22 2008 11:25 PM

• Rich
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Florida
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,450

"segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

Did a search but nothing seemed to apply to my situation.

I just upgraded to Leopard 10.5.5 using archive and install on my MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/4GB's of RAM. Installed MC 3.0.5, MOJO not connected, and I keep getting this error message when it hits the AVX2 part of the start-up screen. Hit OK an I get the "Media Composer unexpectedly quit" message. Is this a result of not doing a clean install?

Symphony 7 MacPro 2 x 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon OSX 10.8.5 *MC 6.5 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 17" OSX 10.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 23 2008 12:55 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 6,036
    • Points 75,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: "segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

Very possible.....  

Before 3.0.5 what was on the system?
    When upgrading from Tiger to Leopard if that is what you did, then you need to make sure you do  not upgrade, but rather does a clean install of the new OS.

A clean install helps prevent problems down the road, and decreases incompatibilities that might crop up.

Avid doesn’t really support the Upgrading of an OS with any detailed instructions but we prefer a customer does a clean install.    It’s mentioned in the ReadMe files, but letting you folks know so you can encourage on the forums is a good thing.

HTH

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 23 2008 2:29 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • South Florida
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,450

Thanks Marianna. I did the clean install on my main system and it's been working flawlessly. I guess I need to start backing up the important stuff on my laptop and do the clean install. Dang!

Symphony 7 MacPro 2 x 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon OSX 10.8.5 *MC 6.5 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 17" OSX 10.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2009 1:16 AM In reply to

• musikwerks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 17 2007
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

I am having this problem at least 3 times a day.

Clean install of OS 10.5.5. Everything running as per Avid spec. I cannot quit MC3.5 without it giving me this error message and today it just quit on me while applying an effect to a shot.

I am running 3.5 with Mojo DX hardware.

Please advise a solution. Getting very tired of it.

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 10:33 AM In reply to

• TomSharp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 7 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Yes I am having this problem too, anybody with solutions or more information?

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 2:59 PM In reply to

With the current iterations of Avid, the very first thing you should try for most issues is trashing the .avs file from the problem project and then restarting Avid.  I'm finding the the project settings corrupt quite easily nowadays, and further, if you recall older shows the .avs file should be deleted prior to launching Avid.  Almost every old show I bring back causes me issues until I trash that file.

MC / Symphony 6.5, Nitris DX, 12-Core/2.4ghz MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 12 TB ESATA G-RAID [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:53 AM In reply to

I'm getting this exact error message upon attempted startup.  I have to force quit.  This is on a very recently installed clean Leopard install.  I'd upgraded to Snow Leopard, but then re-installed Leopard, formatting the partition, after I found that Marquee didn't work in Snow Leopard.

I had re-installed Leopard, then re-installed MC 3.5.4.

I had JUST been working on a project without any problems whatsoever, and had been working quite a bit with the software with no problems at all.  This most recent project file was in a subfolder in the shared Avid projects folder, and was using .OMF media on a FireStore FS-4 ProHD.  There are no other differences between this project and any other, as far as I can remember.  I have tried suggestions in this thread to no avail.  Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.9.5, Avid Media Composer 8.2.0, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 13 2009 1:43 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,673
    • Points 225,575
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Look in Library/Application Support/Digidesign and see if you have the Stereo Mixer and Surround plugs in there. If you do, dump them and try the launch again.

[Edit] Sorry, went one folder awry. I corrected the path. [Edit]

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Sep 13 2009 2:13 AM In reply to

Neither of the two plug-ins is there.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.9.5, Avid Media Composer 8.2.0, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 13 2009 2:16 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,673
    • Points 225,575
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Ok, can you tell me, when EXACTLY in the boot process does the error occur? Watch the splash screen and tell me the last thing it says at the bottom before the error occurs.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Sep 13 2009 3:24 AM In reply to

The last thing I see in the process is "Initializing Media Streams Manager."

Along with the actual error message is a second dialog box, with title bar "Avid Media Composer" and an "OK" button, but no actual message in the box.  Neither of the "OK" buttons is clickable.  At this point, the application freezes and I can't click "OK" in either box.

• Sun, Sep 13 2009 9:34 AM In reply to

• gerbow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 3 2007
    • Wales, UK
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,720

Try deleting the following two files: mmsFMID and msmMMOB files from the avid media files folder. This worked for me with a similar problem with avid failing to launch when initializing media streams manager. Hope this helps.

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 2.8GHz Nvidia Ati 5770 graphics card, 1TB system drive; 3 media drives set as raid 0. Mac OS 10.7.3 Black Magic Design Intensity Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 13 2009 12:57 PM In reply to

gerbow:

Try deleting the following two files: mmsFMID and msmMMOB files from the avid media files folder. This worked for me with a similar problem with avid failing to launch when initializing media streams manager. Hope this helps.

Problem apparently solved.  I'd done that on my FireStore, but not yet on my Mac HD.  Doing it on the Mac HD freed up whatever was jamming that up.  Thank you very much.

• Sun, Sep 13 2009 3:38 PM In reply to

• gerbow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 3 2007
    • Wales, UK
    • Posts 132
    • Points 1,720

You are welcome.

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 2.8GHz Nvidia Ati 5770 graphics card, 1TB system drive; 3 media drives set as raid 0. Mac OS 10.7.3 Black Magic Design Intensity Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 13 2009 10:06 AM In reply to

• emmagoude
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 11 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

I'm having the same problem after an upgrade to MC3.1.2 and Leopard install.  It only happens when I attach a drive that's pretty full.  I've tried all the suggestions above but nothing works.  Is there any way of fixing the problem without having to delete some media from the drive?

error segmentation fault in main thread at address 0x0

when Initializing media streams manager.

Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller