Latest post Tue, Dec 3 2019 10:06 AM by Matt Janda. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 25 2008 4:37 PM

• MG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,025

Mezzo backup software

Years ago i backed up my media to DLT tape using backup software from Mezzo technologies called Mezzo. a couple of years ago I changed my backup method but now i need to get some old media off the DLT tape. Mezzo used a type of copy protection call challenge response  - which the program produced a string of letters that you send back to the company and you get a response to unlock the software.  The problem is you needed to do this EVERY SIX MONTHS. Now Mezzo technologies went out of business and i cannot get a new response so i cannot use the program. Does anyone know of any software that can read these DLT tapes?

MacPro 2013, 16Gb mem, os 10.10.5, MC 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 9 2009 5:24 PM In reply to

• MG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,025

Re: Mezzo backup software

Does anyone have an old iLok key for mezzo technology backup software that I can borrow to get some old DLT backups off.  see message above for problem.  that company went out of business and now i need an old backup.

• Thu, Apr 9 2009 5:31 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,043
    • Points 12,980

Did you try them here? Their website is still alive. We used to use Mezzo as well but I don't have a key anymore.

http://www.mezzotechnologies.com

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 9 2009 8:52 PM In reply to

• MG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,025

yea - no response from tech support, phone numbers disconnected, etc. If they would just unlock their program I could get what I need off the DLT tapes and be done with it.  Or find someone with an iLok usb key.

• Thu, Apr 9 2009 9:28 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

I suppose an old key wouldn't work if you simply rolled back the date on your computer...

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 10 2009 2:42 PM In reply to

• MG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,025

pianoman72:

I suppose an old key wouldn't work if you simply rolled back the date on your computer...

I thought that might be crazy enough to work... but it does not.  That company also had an option of a hardware key.  (like avid's)  Does anyone have an old mezzo hardware key laying around?

• Fri, Apr 10 2009 3:10 PM In reply to

The Old Hardware key. What a brilliant concept that was.

I wonder if in the future there will be a plea on some forum for the key that was needed to run an editing software........

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 12 2010 7:30 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

Hello:

As of November, 2010, I have an old Mac running Mezzo 4.7.4 with and AIT-3 drive attached. Let me know if you need help restoring something. If it's just a few files, I'll do it at no charge. If it's a big project, then we'd have to work something out. If you have another type of media, you might have to send me the drive along with the media.

I am currently in the process of restoring and re-archiving several hundred old Avid / Mezzo projects with Retrospect. At least with Retrospect, I don't have to worry that the authorization will stop working. I can move it to another system just by entering the license key. Hopefully, sometime in 2011 I'll finish this project and retire the Mezzo computer. I don't have an iLock device. I wonder if I can transfer my license to one just in case?

You can contact me at engineer (at) efxmedia.com

Bruce Dixon

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2019.9 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 4:56 PM In reply to

• MG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,025

Good to know you mezzo software still works. And thanks for the offer (I'm in DC too) I have no idea why ours needed  a new code every six months, which was automatic til the company went out of business. I think a lot of people got stuck. I ended up renting an iLok usb key from someone in LA to get what I needed and a few others off the media.

bdefx:

Hello:

As of November, 2010, I have an old Mac running Mezzo 4.7.4 with and AIT-3 drive attached. Let me know if you need help restoring something. If it's just a few files, I'll do it at no charge. If it's a big project, then we'd have to work something out. If you have another type of media, you might have to send me the drive along with the media.

I am currently in the process of restoring and re-archiving several hundred old Avid / Mezzo projects with Retrospect. At least with Retrospect, I don't have to worry that the authorization will stop working. I can move it to another system just by entering the license key. Hopefully, sometime in 2011 I'll finish this project and retire the Mezzo computer. I don't have an iLock device. I wonder if I can transfer my license to one just in case?

You can contact me at engineer (at) efxmedia.com

Bruce Dixon

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 5:22 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

I'm glad you got your files back. 

I think the way the software license worked was that the default option was the six month re-activation method. The second option was to pay an extra fee (I think it was about $50) to get permanent activation. The third option was to buy an iLok hardware key.I don't think I should have to pay extra for my software to keep working even if the publisher goes out of business, but I did so based on my experiences with GMR and Mezzo support. I just got the permanent software activation, so Mine will keep working as long as the computer it's on keeps working. I think it's possible to transfer the license to another computer, but I haven't looked into that. Once I get all my projects re-archived, I don't really want to see or use Mezzo ever again. It's really bad form for them to just close up shop with no notice to customers. I suspected they were going down hill when version 4 came out and they had removed the label printing function. 

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2019.9 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 9:23 PM In reply to

• Onkel Echo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 8 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Hi Bruce,

I have a whole bunch of old Pro Tools sessions backed up on DATs with Mezzo. Could you think a way for me to get them back as my Mezzo software authorization has expired?

I would be willing to pay either for extracting my DATs or for sending me the hard drive your Mezzo software is authorized to.

Please let me know if you can help me out with this issue.

With regards,

Esko Turpeinen

esko (at) moonstoneproductions.fi

• Sat, Jul 21 2018 8:43 AM In reply to

• Matt Janda
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 21 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Hi,

I can help with Mezzo. I have reversed engineered the format for versions 4 and 2 but most likely I can do any version now.

Best Regards

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:41 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

Matt:

That's great news. Are you going to offer this as a service or as a software product?

I don't need it myself, but I've helped quite a few people over the last several years restoring Mezzo tapes using my old G4 Mac and working copy of Mezzo 4.7.4. As an aside, most of the projects I've restored for others were Pro Tools projects, so you might want to make an announcement to that community if you haven't already.

I know there are still some folks out there that need to restore stuff. I suspect many of them are reluctant to spend much money because their work has little commercial value or may be personal projects.

I'd love to hear more about your work and how you figured it all out.

Bruce

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 9:04 PM In reply to

• Matt Janda
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 21 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Hi Bruce,

I have replied to your email, but got invalid email server respone.

Not sure if that’s allowed here but my direct email is Matt(dot)Janda(dot)Kingston(At)gmail(dot)com

Best Regards 

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:36 PM In reply to

Just a FYI,  BRU PE allows one to make a CD with all you need to recover a tape backup.  So one is covered even if they go out of business.

Y'all take care,

Robert 

2018 MacBook Pro,I7 2.6GHz/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 560X 4GB/500GB SSD/External RAID0/Mojave & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/1GB SSD/HIT2TB/WD1TB/ProAvio... [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller