Latest post Fri, Sep 19 2008 5:34 PM by grayboy. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 16 2008 5:05 PM

• cristolin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 31 2008
    • Posts 52
    • Points 925

How to generate a black video?

I need to add couple seconds' of black at the start of the sequence, how to generate such a black clip?

• Tue, Sep 16 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,664
    • Points 225,420
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: How to generate a black video?

CLIP>Add filler at start,

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 12:06 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,613
    • Points 82,935

BLKDOG's reply was concise and to the point!

I have just made a "quickie tutorial" to explain a little more about fillers, as they can be a little confusing for newcomers -  especially newcomers from "Liquid", as I am.

In the tutorial I mention a strange (to me) behaviour in MC when I try to mark an in and out point with 30 frames between... and get 31 instead.  I wonder if anyone could clarify that behaviour as it is important when you need to specify an exact length for the filler.

Regards,

Douglas

System 1:AMC 6.5.4, Edius Pro 7.31 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 331.65 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU... [view my complete system specs]

Creator of Video Tutorials that mere mortals can understand

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com     Gaijin-Eyes Tutorials

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 12:42 AM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    when I try to mark an in and out point with 30 frames between... and get 31 instead.

If you zoom all the way in on the timeline you will the CTI/Playhead turn into two lines, the main dark blue and a "ghost" that is exactly one frame offset. 

when you mark an In, the In is set on the Playhead position.  When you mark an Out it is set to the "ghost" position. But the frames are counted based on the playhead, although total duration is based on the In to Out.

So, if you want to add 30 frames of Filler, Mark an In and punch +29 on the keypad and Mark your Out.  When you do... zoom in to see the frame and you will see your Out is set at the ghost mark.  Check your duration... you should see the desired 30.

This is because logically if you were to have a strip of film and you wanted to do the same thing (advance exactly 30 frames forward) your Playhead is actually sitting at the beginning of each Frame.  You can not cut in the middle of a Film Frame. 

Take a roll of paper towels and roll out 30 sheets.  Now count the number of perforations between the sheets that would represent the head frames.  (Don't count the perf past the 30th "frame" as that would be the head of frame 31)

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 1:01 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

This is because logically if you were to have a strip of film and you wanted to do the same thing (advance exactly 30 frames forward) your Playhead is actually sitting at the beginning of each Frame.  You can not cut in the middle of a Film Frame. 

And that's exactly how it works on a traditional Steenbeck table. The timeline is in many ways a virtual version of a Steenbeck, right down to the snubbing rollers.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 1:42 AM In reply to

.- When I need a black clip (not filler) I make (or duplicate) a Title, "step in" (using the step in command or selecting the title clip in the timeline and double clicking) and delete the "Graphic Fill".

I get a real black cilp I can move and put anywhere I want.

Dell Precision T1600 Intel Xeon E3-1270, 8 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 7 Pro x64 (up to date), E-mu 1212m, USB 3.0, Adaptec RAID 1430SA... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 1:42 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,613
    • Points 82,935

Thank you Kenton and Larry for that clear explanation.

Newcomers, like myself, usually don't have the background in the industry that you have.
    I appreciate your patience with us. Smile

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:AMC 6.5.4, Edius Pro 7.31 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 331.65 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 1:54 AM In reply to

Greetings, Doug!

Another quick easy way to make a black clip is launch the title tool, de-select the "V" in the tool and save as black.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 2:34 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    Another quick easy way to make a black clip is launch the title tool, de-select the "V" in the tool and save as black.
    Black created like this or using filler both create problems if you encode your final sequence via a QT reference video.

To avoid this make the black via Larry's method. Edit the black nto a new timeline and export the timeline as a video only QT. Import this QT to your project at your projects resolution.  Now you have a valid Avid clip of black that you can use instead of filler.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 2:51 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,613
    • Points 82,935

Good point, Andrew.

I ran into that problem at first. It was something like "Cannot find Black x x x x x x" or something, when I tried to open a QT reference file in a 3rd party programme.

I am working with HDV source material... so I had to do a video mixdown before exporting as a QT reference.... that, of course, solved the problem.
    But your way is much more useful.

I am glad to see that not only has the original question in this thread been answered, but now we are getting additional tips that are related to it..... and cover a lot of interesting ways of creating black! Smile

Regards,

Douglas

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 6:32 PM In reply to

• Luxgap
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 67
    • Points 875

This method (marquee tool/title tool black) is very good if you want video.  However, in my experience, I also need audio with my black.  Easiest thing to do is to capture a clip of black from your camera after you shoot with your lens cover on and your audio levels muted.  Save this clip as BLACK_FILLER and archive it to a local drive that you can easily retrieve.

Z800 Dual Xeon 5530, 24gigs Ram, Windows 7 Pro 64Bit, NVIDIA Quadro 2000, AMC 7.03 MATROX MXO2MINI. Asus G75VW AMC 6.5 WX8400, 8 GIGS Ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 17 2008 6:50 PM In reply to

This method (marquee tool/title tool black) is very good if you want video.  However, in my experience, I also need audio with my black.

.- What for, if I may ask?

Dell Precision T1600 Intel Xeon E3-1270, 8 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 7 Pro x64 (up to date), E-mu 1212m, USB 3.0, Adaptec RAID 1430SA... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Wed, Sep 17 2008 7:05 PM In reply to

• Luxgap
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 67
    • Points 875

Depending on your workflow and content.  As stated before, Avid filler sometimes creates problems when creating QT references used to make DVD's. I also like to color this black clip in my timeline to easily recognize it (see breaks/segments) . Perhaps, coming from an online background, I like to have finite assets, filler is like vapor.

Z800 Dual Xeon 5530, 24gigs Ram, Windows 7 Pro 64Bit, NVIDIA Quadro 2000, AMC 7.03 MATROX MXO2MINI. Asus G75VW AMC 6.5 WX8400, 8 GIGS Ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 18 2008 12:52 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,005
    • Points 92,325

Avid filler in audio won't create problems for QTref, since it isn't referenced.  Audio is mixed down and exported as a separate aif or wav file linked to the QTref video.  You don't need silent media.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 19 2008 5:34 PM In reply to

• grayboy
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Halifax, West Yorkshire
    • Posts 518
    • Points 6,755

I use any title, drop it onto the timeline, then in the effect editor I drop the foreground level down to zero - instant black.  Then I might ctrl alt and c to copy it into the source monitor and then I can drop that wherever I want.  You can do it with any clip that has an effect where the level can be turned down.

MC ver3. HPxw8400 Intel R Xeon quad core 5150@2.66Ghz. 3Gb ram. Xp Pro 4.6 Service Pack 2Pentium 2.8 GHZ2GB Ram Matrox Millenium G550 dual display80GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller