Latest post Mon, Mar 16 2009 12:08 AM by Ra-ey Saleh. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 22 2008 8:04 PM

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Buffalo, New York, USA
    • Posts 907
    • Points 11,495
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Avid Editors - Favorite Tips and Tricks!

Avid Editors - Favorite Tips and Tricks!

Here's the place to list all your favorite (and often little-known) Avid Tricks. Many already know these tricks, but many don't. (Hey moderators - make this into a sticky, no?)

Yes

I'll start.

1. Alt Key on project Startup. When starting a project that had a bunch of huge bins open when you closed it, it's going to take forever to load. Click on the project name and hit enter. Now hold the ALT key. Your project loads with all the bins closed!

2. Quick Transitions Bin. Not the most used trick in my workflow, but it turns heads every time. Create a new bin. Put it anywhere, who cares. Name it (very specifically, and case-sensitive) "Quick Transitions". Let's say you are Alfonso Cuaron and really dig your black, soft-edged elipse wipes. Create one, and drag the effect into this bin. Now, EVERY time you hit the dissolve key on your keyboard, your fancy, custom effect is listed in the standard dissolve dialog!!!

3. ScriptSync formatting. Alright, not exactly an Avid trick, but still great. You get a script in MS Word form and need to get it into the Avid to use its internal scripting functions. But the script isn't a txt file, and even if it is saved as such, it's filled with run-on sentences a gazillion miles long. Simply open it in MS Word, hit Save As, then save it as "Plain Text". A "File Conversion" window will pop up. Check the box called "Insert Line Breakes" and make sure it is set to end lines with CR/LF. Whammo! It's formatted with all the same nice line breaks seen in MS Word.

Come on folks, show us your tricks!

(#1) Z400 Win7 SP1 Intel Zeon W3680 3.33 GHz 24GB ram MC7 (NitrisDX) Q-FX3800 on Unity MediaNet 5.3.0.15440 QuickTime 7.68.75 nVidia 8.15.11.9038...(#2... [view my complete system specs]

Pixel Monkey Geeked  Chris Bové  alwaysediting.com  @heybove  

"Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart." 

• Fri, Aug 22 2008 8:15 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Editors - Favorite Tips and Tricks!

Here's one that's been around for a while but seems to be not too well known: insert new track. To insert a new track in other than the top most position, create the new track with CTRL+ALT+y (CMD+OPT+y for Mac). An "add track" dialog box comes up where you can select video or audio and determine the exact position in the stack for the new track.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Aug 22 2008 8:31 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,426
    • Points 18,310

These are two newest I've discovered and been using (a lot!):

Alt+Z and Alt+X lift and cut the material from the timeline (as expected), but puts it in the source monitor.  Perfect for shuffling tracks and moving stuff around in a sequence.

If you're zoomed in and want to see the whole timeline:  Ctrl+/ resets it.

Michael.

• Fri, Aug 22 2008 9:58 PM In reply to

A lot of the ALT-stuff. ALT-MarkClip to place Marks at the closest cuts, indepent of selected tracks.
     ALT-AddEdit adds edits to all layers that don't contain clips at that point. ALT-MatchFrame finds source material in a sequence.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 9:53 AM In reply to

• corobi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Milano - Italy
    • Posts 13
    • Points 135

Another way to use ALT+ is this:

Press and hold ALT and drug your effect (saved in your "Effect Bin") on a clip already with another effect; the last one will be placed on a upper layer.

Bye

Roberto Wink

Avid MC & Mojo SDI - Hp xw8000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 5 2009 2:52 PM In reply to

• torontopaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 18 2008
    • Toronto
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

I've learn't a couple of things here.. this is great keep them coming!!
    Another Alt+ tip would be when you're trying to insert an effect over 2 clips that already have an effect and are transitioned together. Select/highlight both effects in the timeline, hold down ALT and double click on the effect and presto.. you have an additional effect linking the 2 clips together.

Very useful if you're heavy effects oriented.

Cheers,

Paul

• Thu, Feb 5 2009 2:59 PM In reply to

To apply an effect globally across several segments containing other effects, for example creating a PIP fly over effect of a string of images with transitions between them, segment highlight the "string" of clips in the timeline and ALT double click the effect you want to apply globally. This will create a submaster clip across that region of the timeline, which you can step into like any other effects nest. This is another one that has been around for ages but is not too well known.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 5 2009 3:13 PM In reply to

Paul:

Looks like we both had the same idea at the same time! Wink

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 5 2009 8:01 PM In reply to

Remove multiple effects (like dissolves) in a timeline

Park on a dissolve, go into effects editor, lasso all the dissolves, hit dele.

A trick rather than a favourite that I have not used in a long while

Audio Frame by Frame

if you want to hear your audio frame by frame, hold down "k" and then "L" together....in that order.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 23 2006
    • Posts 333
    • Points 3,990

Nice, AA. 

There are times when I want to edit on the field, rather than on the frame. To do this I use my specially prepared SuperImpose FX wherein the first KF is 0 and the second (and last) KF is 100. If this effect is placed on the ending frame of a 1-frame overlapped edit it will "extend" the outgoing shot by 1 field. Good for getting the most out of archival footage with too-tight edits. It can also be used to place a subliminal or 1-field flash over any scene.

To make your own, set it up in a 2-frame clip before saving to your FX bin.

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 8:35 PM In reply to

Neat trick itmatters Thanks

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Mon, Mar 9 2009 11:08 AM In reply to

• Royal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 13 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

hi L is used to Zoom In & Zoom Out.

• Mon, Mar 9 2009 11:08 AM In reply to

• Royal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 13 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

hi L is used to Zoom In & Zoom Out.

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 12:08 AM In reply to

itmatters:

Nice, AA. 

There are times when I want to edit on the field, rather than on the frame. To do this I use my specially prepared SuperImpose FX wherein the first KF is 0 and the second (and last) KF is 100. If this effect is placed on the ending frame of a 1-frame overlapped edit it will "extend" the outgoing shot by 1 field. Good for getting the most out of archival footage with too-tight edits. It can also be used to place a subliminal or 1-field flash over any scene.

To make your own, set it up in a 2-frame clip before saving to your FX bin.

Now that is a cool tip.  Might cause QC issues, but very cool.

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller