Latest post Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:21 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 21 2008 4:45 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,495
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Avid for Liquid Users: Lesson 2 - Let's get on with it

So, let’s get on with it!

I am sure that most of you who are considering a migration to MC are thinking along the same lines as I was back in February............ I will install MC and run it parallel with Liquid. I will use MC for xxxxxx and Liquid when I want to do yyyyyyy. Also I am pretty sure that many of you will (naturally) try running MC on your present set-up!

It may work, but I really would recommend that you plan on getting an NVidia QuadroFX card as soon as is economically possible. Avid MC, as is Liquid, has to be treated with respect.

You need to run a dedicated machine. You need to read and try and follow the recommendations. Otherwise you will run into problems, and help may not be forthcoming so readily if you are trying to run the programme on components that are not on the certified lists. Of course, you might be lucky and get away with it.

Just for the record, the picture below shows my computer running MC 2.8 and Liquid 7.2 at the same time!

To do this I had to abandon the recommended ATI cards for Liquid and move up to an NVidia QuadroFX certified card.

Well, in my case, I planned on running the two together. Using Liquid for this and MC for that.

I did this for a few days and then I left Liquid and started to do everything in MC.

I still have Liquid on the same computer. I have not opened it for more than 2 months now.

Another thing I realised very early on is that the learning curve is not so steep if you are open-minded and can accept that you must quickly forget how you did this and that in Liquid and be prepared to learn new terms for old familiar ones and new workflows to accomplish things that were second nature to you in Liquid.
    Don’t fight it..... go with the flow. Don’t mumble and complain about Fuses being called Mixdowns and that the timeline looks and works differently.............

I am not running an AVID certified computer. It is a home built one - but I tried to keep as close as possible to AVID’s specs in regards to Video card/CPU/Memory etc.

Here are my present day machine specifications.

(In upgrading to MC 3.0 - I will be making some changes.)

Avid Avid Media Composer 2.8/PC software version. (+ Avid Liquid 7.2),

ASUS PK5 DEluxe/WiFi-AP CH1-14 Mobo,

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3GHz)

4GB Kingston PC2-8500 DDR2 SDRAM,

NVidia Quadro FX 3500 Graphics card,Onboard sound - NVidia 91.85 drivers

Owltech Seasonic- M12-700(SS700-HM)PSU,

Thermaltake Eureka VC8000BWA Case,

Panasonic LF-PB271 Blu-Ray burner

Pioneer Multi drive,Lite-On Multi drive

Logicool X-530 5.1 Sound System,

Canoscan 8600F scanner,Logicool MXR-Revolution mouse,

2 x Mitsubishi DiamondCrysta RDT179V monitors,

Exchangeable caddy system for harddrives.

1 x 250 GB Hitachi DeskStar System Drive with XP Pro (Japanese vers) and Liquid 7.2 plus plug-ins.

1 x 250 GB Hitachi DeskStar System Drive with XP Pro (English vers) and accessory Software + some games

1 x 500GB Hitachi Deskstar for shared data. 2 x 500 GB Hitachi Deskstar for MC/Liquid Render and Media.

Sony Z1J, Sony FX1 cameras

Sony HVR-M25 HiDef Edit deck,

Sony DSR-11 DVCam deck.

Normally, in my untidy screen I would have :

1. The Source and Record windows

2. The Timeline, and

3. A cupboard full of BINs etc. mostly over on the other screen.

Grabbing this full work environment would create very large tutorial files, so I made a special modification for the videos...............

1. I made a smaller area containing the essential windows (red outline) A window similar to this actually will appear in the videos.

2. and 3. The cupboard full of BINs etc, and any pop-up windows that appeared outside the video grab area had to be dragged into the video area.

Sorry, if this confuses you ..... in reality when you are starting to use MC, you will not have to work with these limitations.

setup2

My editing in Liquid for the past 2 years has been in HighDefinition from HDV sources. Some of my experiences may not apply to users who are working in Standard Definition.

Another factor to consider is that you may be installing Media Composer 3 and that my observations in MC 2.8 may not be completely accurate for MC 3.

A good tutorial page for new-users (albeit for Free DV) is at:

http://www.avid.com/products/freedv/tutorials/index.asp

other useful tutorials can be found at:
    http://learn.avid.com/content/tutorials/ and

http://www.avid.com/community/tutorials/index.asp#format

Kumamoto, Japan

Monday 21st, May, 2008

If you would like to download this PDF file, I suggest you righ-click HERE and download it to your computer.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:10 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 1 2009
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

Re: Avid for Liquid Users: Lesson 2 - Let's get on with it

I just wanted to say how much your tutorials have helped me as I have migrated from 8 years of using various versions of Adobe Premiere

I have come unstuck and cannot find a solution to a problem...

How do I delete a gap in the timeline between two clips ( I have removed a clip)  Can you advise me as I cannot find the solution in the manual

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:21 PM In reply to

Re: Avid for Liquid Users: Lesson 2 - Let's get on with it

22Video:
    How do I delete a gap in the timeline between two clips ( I have removed a clip) 

What you'll want is the "Extract" command.  Default keyboard is set up at X. 

I'm just curious if you removed that clip by using Lift (Z on default keyboard) or by hitting Delete (common in Premiere and FCP)

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller