Latest post Thu, Oct 20 2005 6:12 PM by redfalcon. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 4:20 PM

• markle77074
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Houston
    • Posts 332
    • Points 4,405

DVD authoring from an HDV project

The procedure in the readme (page 12) appears not to work, or at least it is incomplete.

The Windows media 9 file will import into sorneson, but, the DVD compresssion settings don't seem to work.   Also the aspect ratio is squeezed to 4x3.

So I haven't found anyone who knows how to make a DVD from an HDV project using Avid express pro 5.2  -  Sorenson Squeeze 4.2  -  Sonic Reel DVD.

I have several machines. My latest is a zbook with maxed out processor, memory and video card running windows 8. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 4:30 PM In reply to

Re: DVD authoring from an HDV project

Does Sorenson Squeeze 4.2 support the input of an HDV transport stream?

If so, have you tried exporting an HDV transport stream from Avid (.m2t) and using that instead of the Windows media file?

That is what I do with ProCoder and it works great.

Jeron

Click on Web Address [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 4:42 PM In reply to

• markle77074
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Houston
    • Posts 332
    • Points 4,405

Dear Jeron,

Thanks for your post.

Sorenson 4.2 doesn't accept the .m2t file.

Does procoder make DVDs from Avid HDV projects that look substantially better than DV ones?

Does the added picture size make a difference in the NTSC dvd that procoder makes?

How does procoder handle aspect ratios?

I have several machines. My latest is a zbook with maxed out processor, memory and video card running windows 8. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 5:55 PM In reply to

markle77074,

Those are a lot of good questions. To be honest, I haven't burned that many DVDs. I haven't used ProCoder for any DV work. I'll bet they have an evaluation copy you can download. Maybe you can download the documentation. ProCoder has a lot of settings that you can tweak with to get the image you want; e.g. I'm sure you can tell it to handle your aspect ratio anyway you want.

The only reason I tried to make one from the .m2t transport stream was because you were reporting so many problems trying to make a DVD, you had me worried Smile [:)]

I just used the default setting for everything and it worked fine, ended up with a letterboxed image on the default setting. I'm surprised Sorenson won't import an .M2T file. That makes me glad I chose the ProCoder instead when I was shopping for a transcoder.

It seems to make sense to output a raw transport stream from Avid, since you probably want to put that on tape, then let the transcoder do all of the work, instead of having Avid do some encoding into Windows Media then have the transcoder re-encode it to a format for DVD.

Jeron

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 6:09 PM In reply to

Jeron, which version of ProCoder do you have? Express or 2.0?

I recall you buying ProCoder at the same as I, due to the same comments on the forums.  I personally have been pleased with it as well. 

Unfortunately, I have no experience in using it for HDV.  However, as far as quality with DV, I rather like it. I have yet to burn a DVD with files from it (no projects that have needed such work recently), but as Jeron says, there are lots of settings to tweak.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz 3 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (2x1GB, 2x512MB;) XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB 250 GB Seagate HD (System) 3x500 GB Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 18 2005 6:23 PM In reply to

Steeldestroyer, I have ProCoder 2.0 and it seems to have more settings to tweak than I'll ever understand how to use. It was faster than I expected as well.

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 6:26 PM In reply to

• markle77074
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Houston
    • Posts 332
    • Points 4,405

Dear Jeron,

Sorenson would not accept the .m2t file.

I can't really afford the 399 or so for ProCoder right now.  

I was really hoping that this was possible with the Avid Bundle.  

Tim, (the avid software engineer) did not respond to the question of how to do this..

It is beginning to look like this part of the process does not work, and one must get something like Procoder.

Does HDV look substantially improved when going through Procoder to an NTSC DVD?

Mark

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 7:58 PM In reply to

markle77074 wrote:

Does HDV look substantially improved when going through Procoder to an NTSC DVD?

Mark,

It looked fine to me, but I don't have anything to compare it with. It looks better than the downconverted Mojo SD signal. It doesn't look as good as HD, but that is expected.

Jeron

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 8:11 PM In reply to

• markle77074
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Houston
    • Posts 332
    • Points 4,405

Jeron

Are you using the Procoder 2 or the Procoder LE?

Mark

• Tue, Oct 18 2005 9:37 PM In reply to

JeronCoolman wrote:

Steeldestroyer, I have ProCoder 2.0 and it seems to have more settings to tweak than I'll ever understand how to use. It was faster than I expected as well.

Confused [*-)]

• Wed, Oct 19 2005 6:59 AM In reply to

• redfalcon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 19 2005
    • Posts 17
    • Points 250

Markle,

Banged my head for a couple days on this exact thing.  After trying a few things with good results, this is my favorite way of doing it....

Highlight the HDV sequence in the bin, right click.

Select TRANSCODE

Transcode the sequence to DV50 (I just think color might be more accurate than DV25).

Take the new transcoded sequence and output a qt reference or send to Sorenson Squeeze.

Makes the best looking DVD's I've ever made from an Avid sequence.

The only thing is, you have to re-create all the titles at DV50, Avid doesn't seem to transcode HDV titles.  Maybe someone can confirm this or tell me something I don't know.

Hope this helps.

• Thu, Oct 20 2005 4:42 AM In reply to

• markle77074
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Houston
    • Posts 332
    • Points 4,405

Dear Redfalcon,

There isn't a DV 50 option perse.  There is one called DVCPRO.

I seem to remember that it is DV50.

I pushed the transcode button.

It produced a new sequence and new component clips.

I highlighted the new sequence and pushed the Send to DVD which produces a qtref file and an audio file.

I dragged that into sorenson and it goes in producing a blank preview screen.

Then I applied the DVD large or small compressionsetting.

It ran and produced no files.

So thanks, but it didn't work.

Sincerly

Mark

• Thu, Oct 20 2005 5:13 AM In reply to

• Lee T. Warner
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 262
    • Points 3,290

I'm sorry, but it makes no sense that it says "DVCPro." DVCPro is not a codec but rather a format.

Are you sure you're transcoding correctly?
    Maybe post a screenshot of your transcode settings.

• Thu, Oct 20 2005 5:49 AM In reply to

• markle77074
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Houston
    • Posts 332
    • Points 4,405

Dear luezuve,

I am in the Trancode window of Consolidate transcode.

The    Do Video Conversion box.

The options are    DVCPro HD MXF     DNXHD 75 MXF and DNXHD 110 MXF

Sincerely

Mark

• Thu, Oct 20 2005 2:39 PM In reply to

Mark,

This is a "shot in the dark", but I saw on the Sorenson forums that someone posted they renamed a .m2t file to .mpg and Sorenson was able to read it. Might be worth a try since you are having so many problems.

Jeron

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller