Latest post Thu, Mar 19 2009 6:02 PM by mjolnarn. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:29 PM

• XCHC2006
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2008
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Avid Media Composer - "failure to initialize audio hardware"

I just loaded  Avid Media Composer  and as the program is initialize when it gets to "initializing audio I get error message that says "failure to initialize audio hardware. Any ideas?

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:41 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,672
    • Points 225,560
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Avid Media Composer - "failure to initialize audio hardware"

This is usually due to an incompatibility between the Audio card and the software. Check the system requirements to be sure you have a qualified card and are running the correct drivers for your software version.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 6:07 PM In reply to

• XCHC2006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Does anyone know what the name of the right Realtek driver I should have?

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 6:09 PM In reply to

Hi,

Search the forums for "realtek" and you should get an answer in there.  One caveat, though; I've only seen a couple of posts where a driver update fixes the problem.  Most people wind up getting a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:34 PM In reply to

• XCHC2006
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

So best think to do is get the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card. by putting that in it will over ride the sound card that came with my comp.?

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:44 PM In reply to

Hi,

I can't guarantee, but I can tell you that I've been on this board since before 2005, and I've seen literally hundreds of posts from people with audio card problems just like yours, and I've never seen a post from anyone who did not solve the problem after getting a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card.  If you search the forums for "realtek" you'll find a lot of these posts if you'd like to read through them.

I belive all you have to do is tell Windows (via the sound settings) to use the Soundblaster card rather than the onboard audio card.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 17 2009 9:10 PM In reply to

• carlmarx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 17 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hi there folks

What Soundblaster Audigy 2 card, anyone recommend  one as there are quite a few different models.

Carl

• Tue, Mar 17 2009 11:33 PM In reply to

• carlmarx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Forgot to add...I need a sound card, suitable for the new  version of "Media Composer" due for release this month, upgrading from"Xpress Pro HD v5.1"....

I currently have "Realtek HD audio" which does not work with my "Xpress Pro HD".

Regards

Carl

• Wed, Mar 18 2009 4:51 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,920
    • Points 141,880

carlmarx:

Forgot to add...I need a sound card, suitable for the new  version of "Media Composer"

I am using an audigy 4 on one sys and an XFi Elite Pro on another, different price tags for them but both works well.

As other users have told, I am sure that an Audigy 2 also will work well.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Wed, Mar 18 2009 4:32 PM In reply to

• carlmarx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thanks Tomas for the advice.

Installed creative 7.1 Audigy SE Sound card and works, but when I import file, audio is out of sync, Any ideas what is the cause for this???

Regards

Carl

• Wed, Mar 18 2009 5:28 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,920
    • Points 141,880

Very good that it works for you now.

About the OOS prob, I have no idea, importing a file should never affect the sync, what type of file was it and what was your settings in the import dialogue.

And, you have of course disabled the onboard audio from bios ... ?   sorry but I had to ask.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Thu, Mar 19 2009 11:38 AM In reply to

• carlmarx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hi Tomas

The file was MPEG4...I think that might have been the problem

Carl

• Thu, Mar 19 2009 6:02 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,920
    • Points 141,880

Very good

Tomas

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller