Latest post Sat, Nov 10 2018 2:50 PM by MoxoTopu. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 27 2008 11:58 AM

• Smith9
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 27 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

MC not accepting Sound Card

I just installed Media Composer on my Dell XP desktop. When I go to start the program, I'm hit with a "Failed to initialize audio hardware" message during startup. When I click "ok" on the message, the program closes.

I have a Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card. I tried installing the latest drivers. MC still gives the same error. Everything else works fine with the card.

I finally tried uninstalling the card in my device manager. Next time I loaded MC, it noted that it couldn't find a sound card but after that it started up just fine (well, without the all importaint element of sound).

It doesn't seem like too big of a problem to solve (famous last words) as it's the only thing standing between me and using MC right now...but after hours of trying different things I could really use some help. Thanks!

• Wed, Feb 27 2008 1:07 PM In reply to

• applebuckets
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    • Posts 228
    • Points 2,920

Re: MC not accepting Sound Card

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Do you have anything else installed? If it's a game or something it could be locking out device control from Avid.

Try searching the forums first, as this issue has come up before. Read this thread, the last post might help. http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/252301.aspx

Also, you should fill out your system specs on your profile. "Dell Desktop" could mean anything. You'll be able to get help faster if you post this info. Here is a link to the Avid Qualified systems.

http://www.avid.com/products/media-composer/systemrequirements.asp

Hope this helps

MCA 6.01 hp xw8600 Windows 7 16GB RAM Nvidia FX3700M Matrox MX02 hp xw8400 Windows 7 16GB RAM Nvidia FX3700 MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 27 2008 3:06 PM In reply to

• Smith9
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 27 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks for the advice, applebuckets. I'm going to try a few of the things in that thread right now. I updated my bio and here's basicaly what I have:

Dell XPS 420
    2.4 Ghz Quad Core Intel Kensington
    4 GB RAM
    500 MB Nvidia GeForce 8800
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    XP Pro SP2

I bought the computer refurbished from Dell, which meant it came with Vista pre-installed. I installed XP right away and re-installed drivers. I DID load the game Bioshock to see what the machine was capable of...it tore through perhaps the most graphicaly demanding game of today like toilet paper, which was pleasing. I uninstalled the game before I installed Media Composer though. Maybe you can offer some more help with this new information...I would like to get to the bottom of this for myself and for others who may be experiencing problems with the X-Fi cards and MC, as this is the first mention of them I see.
  • Sun, Apr 13 2008 10:50 PM In reply to

• mldunn78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 13 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

I actually have the exact same Sound Blaster (X-Fi Xtreme Gamer) and I'm also getting the "failed to initialize audio hardware" error.  I am wondering if you ever got it to work?  What's really strange is that when I first purchased MC I went out a bought the Xtreme Gamer card and it worked perfectly fine.  Then just yesterday I went to open Avid and I got this error.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Thu, Apr 17 2008 7:08 PM In reply to

Hey guys,

I have the Soundblaster X-FI card as well. Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your card? Mine works fine an my system.

Travis

Dell Precision 690, (2) Dual Core Xeon 3.0 5160 CPU's, 4 gigs ram, 74 gig WD SATA Raptor system drive, 2-500 gig WD sata drives, 1-250 gig sata drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 17 2008 7:17 PM In reply to

.- Uninstall any Creative control panel or application and install ONLY the drivers. (the latest)

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Fri, Apr 18 2008 12:29 AM In reply to

• mldunn78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 13 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks for suggestions but still no luck.  I went to SoundBlaster's website and downloaded the lastest and greatest driver... and only the driver.  Then when it came to the installation, I canceled on the download of the Creative control panel and still no luck.  I did however go out and buy the Sound Blaster Audigy SE from Best Buy for $35... and it works fine.  I guess the only downside is that I've downgrated my sound card, but at least Avid works and that's more important.  Like I said in my previous post, when I first bought Avid, my Xtreme Gamer card was working fine and then all-a-sudden... nothing!!!

• Fri, Apr 18 2008 8:40 AM In reply to

.- I have a E-MU 1212M, which is a high end professional card. (balanced I/O, 24 bit, Adat, etc)

It works perfectly fine with my Avid MC.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Tue, Feb 10 2009 1:10 AM In reply to

• Jim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 30 2006
    • Orlando, FL USA
    • Posts 69
    • Points 1,015

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music and MC3

Just completed a new install of MC3.

All seems to be well except for the error message "Exception: Failed to intialize audio hardware."

I have searched the forums dilligently for several hours today and have found little assistance with the X-Fi audio issue (w/o using additional outboard Creative devices, anyway.)

FYI - I can disable the X-Fi audio card and MC3 loads up fine (just w/o audio.)

I have downloaded the latest drivers (only) from Creative to no avail.

Thought I would give one last opportunity to see anyone else has managed to successfully use a S.B. X-Fi Xtreme Music audio card with MC3.

If so, any settings or suggestions you may be able to provide are very much appreciated!

Thanks!

HP Z420 Workstation; Intel CPU E5-1650 @ 3.2Ghz; 16Gb Ram; Win7/64; nVidia K2000; MC 7.03/Symphony; Matrox Mini02 Max; [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 10 2009 4:46 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

If you have installed only the drivers, you might not have your control panel for the card installed, there are three modes available, the audio creation mode should be choosen.

and, welcome here, Jim

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Nov 10 2018 2:50 PM In reply to

• MoxoTopu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2018
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

It comes down to the drivers, does your sound card have a ASIO driver? If not try ASIO4ALL. My sound card does not have an up to date ASIO driver (the one available was never official released and about 10 years old) so I just use DX however when I want to record external sound (Mic or from the Computer) I use ASIO4ALL. The nice thing about ASIO4ALL is I can just point it to different input devices very easily.. Why don't I use ASIO4ALL all the time, because of the way it locks the sound card..

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller