Latest post Thu, Dec 15 2005 3:39 PM by Joshua Williams. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 14 2005 10:16 PM

DVD Help needed - problem!

Dear Forum,

I have having some trouble with the DVDs that I am making with Sorenson Squeeze and then Avid DVD.  I burned one off today and was happy that it played successfully in my 4:3 CRT television.  However, when played in my 16:9 LCD and a 16:9 CRT over a friends I experienced some really severe gosting on movement!  I know LCDs have problems with fast movement but this was slow movement and it was pretty terrible.  I seemed to only happen when stretched 16:9 because it didn't happen on 4:3 CRT.  Do I have setting incorrect along the way which is causing this?  I am encoding MPEG2 from QTR.

The reason I am bringing this up is because I have played stretched DVDs before and not experienced this ghosting!  (PS I assume ghosting is the right expression - where movement causes a trail of that movement behind it)

Thanks guys

Josh

EDIT: I just looked up the definition for ghosting and it is not really what I am experiencing.  I am experiencing a juttery with movement where the moving object appears to be flickering as it moves!

Evesham Axis 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800, 2 x 1GB DDR RAM, Twin 300Gb 7,200 SATA HD, NVidia 256 Mb 7800GT Graphics, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 15 2005 1:34 AM In reply to

• Kolsky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toluca Lake, California
    • Posts 160
    • Points 1,900

Re: DVD Help needed - problem!

sounds like an interlacing vs. progressive issue.  make sure the source and the mpeg are the same.
    PC- dell 650, 2.8 dual xeon, (4) gigs ram, (6) 10k sata drives, 125-145 MB/s [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 15 2005 7:54 AM In reply to

This is what I thought so I tried encoding it Top field first (PAL) - still the same issue but then I read that all DV whether it is PAL or NTSC is lower field first and maybe I should set it to that in sorenson?

http://www.avid.com/community/ArchivedForums/Forum38/HTML/014108.html

Here the guy says to encode with the lower field first selected as that is what the source is?  I assume that is right so I am going to try that?

Regards

Josh

Evesham Axis 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800, 2 x 1GB DDR RAM, Twin 300Gb 7,200 SATA HD, NVidia 256 Mb 7800GT Graphics, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 15 2005 8:09 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,943
    • Points 82,395
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

DV is lower field ALWAYS Smile [:)]

The recepy for a DVD:

1. research....
    2. research
    3. trial
    4. error
    5. research
    6. trial again
    7. short piece export
    8. burn to DVD-RW
    9. look
    10. try again different settings
    11. short piece export
    12. etc
    13. etc
    14. etc
    Smile [:)]

Menno
    35 MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - Media Director - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 80 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Thu, Dec 15 2005 11:24 AM In reply to

Too true Menno!  Too true!

Can anyone explain to me what the I Frame Rate means?  I currently have it set at 15 - what happens when you go lower?

• Thu, Dec 15 2005 11:29 AM In reply to

Baklap wrote:
    DV is lower field ALWAYS Smile [:)]

Is that the case with DVCAM and HDV also?
  • Thu, Dec 15 2005 12:25 PM In reply to

• videopelli
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Colorado Springs, CO
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,735

To understand the I-frame, one must BE the I-frame.

The I-frame is (and if I'm  wrong, somebody please jump up and down and rub it in my face...) the frame that sets the tone for the compression in the rest of the GOP (I'm not being political - Group Of Pictures is how the MPEG file is put together).  If you go to a lower I-frame rate (necessary for fast motion stuff) or to a higher I-frame rate (things like talking head), you'll see an increase in the file size primarily.

There's a really good website (http://www.dvddemystified.com/) which has a TON of information on what the format is, and what you need to know.  It's also a decent book if you want to know about the DVD format.

As Baklap says, RESEARCH!  Google DVD, compression - you'll get a metric ton of info - those who seek shall be rewarded....

Jon

4 Media Composer systems;xw8000 & xw8200 (Mojo RGB) 2 BiWay systems w/ SDI Mojo all with 2gb RAM [view my complete system specs]

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F*@#!$.

• Thu, Dec 15 2005 3:39 PM In reply to

Thanks Jon,

I am beginning to understand more every minute but it is a mystifying subject matter!    There is so much to think about but once you get your head round it it doesn't seem as complicated! 

All the best

Josh

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller