Latest post Mon, Dec 10 2007 4:31 PM by starwipe. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 4 2007 7:19 PM

• starwipe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 27 2005
    • Canada
    • Posts 38
    • Points 590

How do your producers use Interplay (and do you like it?)

We're about to start training them here and I'm just wondering what everybody does - do you have them do the full shot list or just put the footage in folders?  Or is it still a matter of paper scripts and editors searching for footage?

Thanks
    Nina
    Home: AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2.21 GHz / 1 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (128 MB RAM) / Win XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 / 30 GB Hard... [view my complete system specs]
    Editor, Pyramid Productions - Calgary, Canada
  • Thu, Dec 6 2007 6:48 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

Re: How do your producers use Interplay (and do you like it?)

Our producers are using Assist more than anything.  They like the playback, logging and cuts only editing.  It was slow at first getting used to the screens and how to navigate around.  We have access to the Alex training and encouraged them to complete the Assist lesson first, but oh well, at least we made it available to them.

Some of them use the Interplay window in Media Composer to view and log.

We ingest the complete tape then have loggers make the subclips.  Each tape gets a folder.  The editors use the Interplay Window and information from the producer to edit the show.  If they search for footage they use the searching in Interplay which helps a lot.

Unity, ISIS, Interplay, Media Composers [view my complete system specs]
    Stephen H Media Manager WinnerComm Tulsa, OK
  • Thu, Dec 6 2007 9:39 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

hullxsm:

Our producers are using Assist more than anything.  They like the playback, logging and cuts only editing.  It was slow at first getting used to the screens and how to navigate around.  We have access to the Alex training and encouraged them to complete the Assist lesson first, but oh well, at least we made it available to them.

Some of them use the Interplay window in Media Composer to view and log.

We ingest the complete tape then have loggers make the subclips.  Each tape gets a folder.  The editors use the Interplay Window and information from the producer to edit the show.  If they search for footage they use the searching in Interplay which helps a lot.

that's us too. seems like the most intuitive way to do it. depending on the savvy and work ethic (ha!) of the producer, they're making shotlists and the editors pull in from interplay as a sequence.

poor design choices for the shotlist function in Assist are no match frame-find folder type function, no trim or any kind, and no ability to modify (even to the point of just adding locators and text as notes for revision) to Avid sequences checked into interplay and viewed as source clips.

we've submitted feature requests for these above, and you should too if the opportunity arises. i didn't expect Avid to undermine their offline platforms with a $2K "My 'lil Editor" as Assist, but as an productivity tool, it falls short in those areas.
    39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Sat, Dec 8 2007 3:52 PM In reply to

• starwipe
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 38
    • Points 590

depending on the savvy and work ethic (ha!) of the producer, they're making shotlists and the editors pull in from interplay as a sequence. poor design choices for the shotlist function in Assist are no match frame-find folder type function, no trim or any kind, and no ability to modify (even to the point of just adding locators and text as notes for revision) to Avid sequences checked into interplay and viewed as source clips. we've submitted feature requests for these above, and you should too if the opportunity arises. i didn't expect Avid to undermine their offline platforms with a $2K "My 'lil Editor" as Assist, but as an productivity tool, it falls short in those areas.

What? They can't leave locators?  Crazy.

We haven't yet implemented Interplay on the preproduction side but I showed the producers on my series the ropes on Assist yesterday, hoping we can use our show as a test for workflow.

At this moment I am just having them log footage using locators and pull copies of the footage into folders for the project.  They also know how to find and view sequences from me.  Once we're all comfy with that I am going to figure out subclips and shot lists.

Does the shot list function actually help?  I know the theory is that the producer basically a-rolls the show, but I imagine you would still have to fix all the ins and outs once you get into editing anyway.  I'm not sure it wouldn't be faster just to work from a folder of footage and set the ins and outs properly yourself on the a-roll pass.  Although you would save a ton of time because if you're preparing a shot list it's kind of hard to call for a clip that you can't find or doesn't exist ;-)
    Home: AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2.21 GHz / 1 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (128 MB RAM) / Win XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 / 30 GB Hard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 10 2007 4:23 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

starwipe:
    Does the shot list function actually help?  I know the theory is that the producer basically a-rolls the show, but I imagine you would still have to fix all the ins and outs once you get into editing anyway.  I'm not sure it wouldn't be faster just to work from a folder of footage and set the ins and outs properly yourself on the a-roll pass.  Although you would save a ton of time because if you're preparing a shot list it's kind of hard to call for a clip that you can't find or doesn't exist ;-)

i like the shotlist function, even with its limitations. basically, the producers can (read: should) string together a rough base with SOT and must have selects from actual video, rather than ctrl-c/ctrl-v from paper transcripts, and hand that off to the assistant editor to polish before the editor even sits down. this can (read: should) save us a few hours of AE time that they would normally spend digging around for poorly notated TC (the super fun "-ish" suffix, that apparently means the SOT is within 10 minutes on either side of the TC they specified) and gets a rough cover of the sequence finished for the first chair editor to polish.

after the initial whining that doing their own strings was more work for the same pay (natch), a good percentage of our producers have at least tentatively embraced the workflow and the Assist software. the Mark-IN/OUT can be pretty precise (no audio scrub, sadly, but you can get pretty close w/step frame).

the headline for us is to coach them not to try to overdo it. the temptation to edit the show on Assist (i.e. 1hr shotlist for a 22min ep) has exposed some of the limitations of Assist, speed wise. it will load all the shots, locators, text, notes, etc full whack when you try to play a shotlist in either the source or shotlist tab; we've seen load times of upwards of 6-7 minutes for needlessly dense shotlists.

have them try to keep shotlists of manageable length and size, and be very aware of naming conventions, etc. the Interplay database has proven to be a bit wonky in overwriting assets of the same name (in a non-destructive way, at least), that have been modified in different sessions. a crude versioning by date using Save-As is probably a good way to go.
    39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Mon, Dec 10 2007 4:31 PM In reply to

• starwipe
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 38
    • Points 590

Really good advice.  For a 1 hour show, would you recommend seperate shot list for each segment?  What about for a 1/2 hour show?

We have a naming convention drafted - hopefully it will be used!
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller