Latest post Thu, Nov 29 2007 8:43 PM by rogershuff. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 22 2007 6:10 PM

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

Access media deletion not deleting media

I have a scenario where I delete media via Access yet no media is deleted.  I override the reservations, Access completes the deletion process, all media shows offline (red dot) yet the free space on the ISIS workspace doesn't increase.  Access displays the message that media and metadata have been deleted.

When I open an MC, I can still see/work with the media.  If I check in the bin, it all comes back (green dots).

We have Interplay 1.1.0.5645 connected to an ISIS with mirroring enabled.  Media Composer release 2.7.2.

Comments?

Unity, ISIS, Interplay, Media Composers [view my complete system specs]
    Stephen H Media Manager WinnerComm Tulsa, OK
  • Mon, Oct 22 2007 7:18 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

Re: Access media deletion not deleting media

the Access user is an Administrator, right?

look in the user groups in the OS of your Interplay server, and note the username of the NXN server user.

make sure that the same user has readwrite on all the ISIS workspaces as an ISIS user.

there are apparently some known bugs with deletion w/Access, but i don't have the comprehensive details of which Interplay versions contain it.
    39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Mon, Oct 22 2007 7:48 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

Highnoon,

Thanks.  I checked and that user had no access to the workspace.

I changed it to read/write and that took care of it.  I had to check in all bins again, but that was no problem.

• Mon, Oct 22 2007 9:02 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

Here's another issue with deleting media.

I select to delete associated media files.  The results screen shows some files deleted and some access denied.

I log in as Administrator, override any reservations yet the files are still "access denied."  Does it have to do with associations to other sequences, etc. in the project?

I have not had this problem with other projects.  I checked on user rights and they are correct per the above.

Stephen

• Tue, Oct 23 2007 12:42 AM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

i get that, too, but haven't figured it out yet. i always meant to see if they were files that were part of an active assist session, or in a bin or interplay window that was open when i tried to delete, but i never got around to it. have you tried deleting the clips in question and all of their relatives?

Access hasn't gotten around to bowing to the awesome power of the Administrator, apparently. when i wanna delete something, i want to do when i want. frustrating.
    39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Tue, Oct 23 2007 3:27 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

Deleting clips with relatives - I have not specifically taken that approach.  I did drill down to the root source of any associations to delete those first.  Most of the relative files are sequences and subclips which we do not delete.  That shouldn't be an issue though as I have deleted media previously with no issues.

I also checked the editor projects to see if the clips, sequences or projects were locked.  Some were and when I unlocked them in the editor I was able to delete them.  This did not solve the whole problem.

I also removed the reservations from the folders in case the override didn't "override" them.

Still trying....

• Thu, Oct 25 2007 10:59 AM In reply to

• Dimch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 17 2007
    • Kiev, Ukraine
    • Posts 40
    • Points 450

Check your Interplay - does it hase access to the workspace trought "My network places -> Entire network -> Avid Unity Network". If you will be asked for username and password - you does not have access to the media, and your Interplay Engine cannot delete media.
    Unity 4.2.3, Interplay 1.2.4, NewsCutter 6.7, iNews 2.6 [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Oct 25 2007 7:08 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

Dimch,

Thanks for the reply.  I do have access to the workspaces as drives but it still shows Access Denied.

This really has me confused.

• Thu, Oct 25 2007 9:21 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

just to clarify, are you trying to delete media by selecting the project folder that relates to it, or from a search result?

i've experienced it both ways, but have you tried isolating all of the relatives and deleting it from an Admin created folder?

You could try making a "delete" folder in catalogs maybe, and do a right clik>move to (that folder) and take all of the clips and metadata stuff out of the Projects or incoming folders part of the working databse.

This should sever all the editor, assist, and access users ties to it, which is what i suspect the issue might be.
  • Fri, Oct 26 2007 8:57 AM In reply to

• Dimch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 17 2007
    • Kiev, Ukraine
    • Posts 40
    • Points 450

May be you have some error messages in the Interplay log file? Logs stored in ..\Logs\Machines\Interplay
    Unity 4.2.3, Interplay 1.2.4, NewsCutter 6.7, iNews 2.6 [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Oct 26 2007 11:32 AM In reply to

• AusKen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 2 2006
    • Australia
    • Posts 18
    • Points 235

We've found the best way to delete media has been the old delete project metadata (sequences, clips, renders, etc...) and not media. Then once this is completed we delete the media from the Orphan Media Files folder. The main reason for doing this is to ensure any media being used in another project doesn't inadvertantly get deleted and it also has the advantage of avoiding the confusion caused by Interplay seeing multiple versions of the same metadata as seperate instances and trying to delete each clip as if they were different media files.

Its a lot slower doing the deletion this way but it's safer and we haven't had some any errors during deletions.

We're runnning 1.04 currently which has a small problem with deletions in that, even doing deletions this way, sometimes a clips associated media files will not be deleted. this seems to be related to Airspeed clips which also wont show up after a resync. I'm hoping this will be fixed when we upgrade shortly to 1.1.5 or 6 or 7... whichever gets the final tick of approvalBig Smile 

Ken Brown

• Mon, Oct 29 2007 5:54 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

Thanks Highnoon,

I will try moving the media and let you know how it goes.

• Mon, Oct 29 2007 6:05 PM In reply to

• Stephen Hull
    • Not Ranked
    • Tulsa, OK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 420

AusKen,

This sounds like the "complete" approach however our company doesn't delete masterclips, sequences, subclips, etc.  We only delete associated media files and rendered effects.

I was told that if they ever need to re-visit the project they can re-capture the media.  Once the project is ready for archive then the above mentioned is removed.  I hope I don't have to wait untill that occurs.

It could be an issue with the Airspeeds though.  I will check on that to see if any of the stubborn clips are related to that.  We are running version 1.1.0.5645

Thanks for the reply.

• Mon, Oct 29 2007 7:05 PM In reply to

• felipousis
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Miami, FL
    • Posts 532
    • Points 5,600
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Spanish Language

If you can't delete the actual media, using access, it's sounds like a NxN user problem, using the NxN tool will fix this issue.

Regards
    Custom Mac Pro OSX 10.8.5 | Windows 7 Pro 64 | ProTools HD Software | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | MBox 3 | UAD Quad PCIe | JBL LSR 305 | Universal Audio... [view my complete system specs]

Felipe Gonzalez A.
    Recording Engineer/AES member.
    Avid ACSR Elite

http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

https://soundcloud.com/felipegonzalez-1-1/tracks

• Mon, Oct 29 2007 8:41 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

just to clarify, i'm talking about moving the clips and relatives in the access interface, not moving the media from the mxf folders or anything.

simply make your target folder, then highlight the undeletable clips in question, then move-rather than copy-the clips out of the project tier in access to your wholly owned admin folder.

see if that breaks the file access denied problem in the delete dialogue.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller