Latest post Mon, Oct 22 2007 8:53 PM by Baklap. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 19 2007 2:53 PM

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Feature? Rights management in Access

Just curious as i run into a "small" problem. When we tend to create a folder structure for users. In some cases we copy those and spread them around which saves quite a lot of work.

What happens is that the owner of the folder (and everything underneath) remains the one that created it (logical). Now that causes all sort of problems with other users trying to create, delete or move assets or folders (user rights do not allow this blah blah).

For now the only way to counter this is resetting the owner from a specific folder to a group or user (depends on config) but the worst is.. it needs to be done on every folder underneath the top folder... there is no replace on all underneath or something in Access.

Bear with me.. we create folder structures sometime numbering 20 to 35 folders and subfolders (lots of users and different shows) .. it is a whole lot of work to right mouse click/security/set owner for every folder.

Would be very cool to have a inherit or replace on subfolders and files option in that dialog window.

For the record if (and i say if) this could be done from the Interplay Administration tool it would not be helpful in our case since we are not going to grant those rights to power users and those setting up the projects... Smile it needs to be Access wise Smile

Thx .. any way Smile

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Sun, Oct 21 2007 11:55 AM In reply to

• AusKen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 2 2006
    • Australia
    • Posts 18
    • Points 235

Re: Feature? Rights management in Access

I second that and this should apply to all options including reservations.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

Ken Brown

• Mon, Oct 22 2007 7:13 PM In reply to

• Highnoon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 11 2006
    • Denver, CO USA
    • Posts 60
    • Points 700

you will find if you create the folders in the Interplay Window of the editor, the database roles set in admin with continue to apply.

have to tried to use the "get/set property" function to apply permissions? one would think that if you did it on the top-level folder, you could "forward/inherit to target" or whatever and it would unset all of the "private folder" behavior you get when you right-clik new folder in access.

or not, maybe. we're not real clear on how useful that function is, or if it even works.
    39 MCsoft 2.7.7 w/Mojo HP XW8000-8200 Avid ISIS 1.4 64TB Avid Interplay 1.1.6 60 Avid Interplay Assist 1.6 2 Dual Boot Symphony Nitris/DS v8.0 HPXW9300... [view my complete system specs]
    Eli Hensley | High Noon Entertainment Technical Services Manager & Morale Officer the race for quality has no finish line...so technically it's more like a death march.
  • Mon, Oct 22 2007 8:53 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

good points indeed but we like to prevent doing all in the editor .. managing over a 100 users can be time consuming the least that way. Within Access this is (well seems) easier to do... but indeed as you said we might need to filter out the specifics of what is being asked.

For now it is a hell of a lot of right clicking and setting the user to allready created spaces and folders ... cramping not only style but also the (in my case) right hand Smile

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller