Latest post Sun, Sep 10 2006 4:58 PM by LewS. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 10 2006 3:31 AM

Source Viewer Timeline Clips = No Sound on Timeline

Clips added to the timeline from the Source Viewer (Source/Timeline inlay view) go to the timeline with no sound.  Same clip dragged from the combo inlay (Project/Multi-purpose inlay) play just sound fine.

I'm running 7.1 (Build 3494 upgr).SP1(3581).  I don't usually operate with dual inlays, but this was not an issue before the latest upgrade to 7.1 SP1.

Windows XP Pro, SP2 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 128MB AL7 (Build 3494 upgr).SP1(3581) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 10 2006 3:37 AM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Source Viewer Timeline Clips = No Sound on Timeline

How have you mapped the audio and do you have a speaker icon in the track header for the audio? If the audio is on the same track as the video, you need a TV and Speaker icon on that track.
    3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 6:38 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Do you have the track header highlighted to take the audio?  You'll need an audio track enabled to take audio from the source viewer using "Insert source into master."  Make sure that the audio track(s) have the A1/A2/A3/A4 or S1/S2 column(s) highlighted and that also the name column(s) of the same track(s) is/are highlighted.  That enables the track(s) to take the audio.  These settings don't apply to dragging.
    Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 12:59 PM In reply to

The video track is active and readily accepts clips by the "insert source into master" method.  The video and audio icons are both on and sound plays fine when clips are dragged.  Not so when "inserted".  I always use Movie Style as I'm constantly inserting new clips within the timeline and need for subsequent clips to "move over".

Audio is combined onto the video track, not a separate sound track as smyers63 suggests could be the problem.  I've tried but don't like separate audio tracks on video clips - too much manual setting and resetting of timeline behavior when using linear time warp, inserting graphics, etc. with video and sound being bumped out of synch unintentionally.

Is the "insert source into master" functionality actually desiged to omit sound when sound and video are integrated into a single track on the timline?  That would seem to be an odd "feature".  AL7 makes it very easy to separate sound from video clips but not so easy to keep them together and in synch when that's all you want to do.

Windows XP Pro, SP2 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 128MB AL7 (Build 3494 upgr).SP1(3581) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 10 2006 1:02 PM In reply to

From Lew's reply - can anyone explain how to "map" audio when using a single track for video picture and sound?  Does this sound mapping alleviate the no-sound problem of this post?
  • Sun, Sep 10 2006 2:16 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650

If you have both a TV and speaker icon on for that track, right click on the clip and make sure A1 and A2 are checked in the clip properties.

To map audio, in the track header, right click on the column that has an arrow icon and select the mapping you want. You can select Grouped (audio and video on same track) and Mappings enabled (seperate track for both) or Stereo Seperate (left and right channels disbanded).

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 3:13 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

I just fused a clip to an AVI with embedded audio.  I sent it to the source viewer, then inserted into timeline using the default settings for mapping, grouping, etc.  The audio was separated onto the audio track and it played fine.  When I changed to "Insert grouped" and sent the clip to the timeline, the track of course had changed to "VA", the audio was not separated and the audio played fine.

Make sure you're setting things up the way you want before you insert to timeline.  It's possible that something's wrong with your installation of Liquid but it's probably more likely that your settings are just not quite right.

If you want to combine video and audio on one track, click on the arrow above the track headers like Lew said and select "Insert grouped."  That will change your track from a video-only or audio-only track to a "VA" track.  Make sure the "VA" column is on (bright, not dark) and the name column for that track is also on.  When you insert into timeline from the source viewer, all should be well.

If that doesn't work, then something is wrong.
    Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 4:28 PM In reply to

Lew / Scott -  With those two excellent explanations, all is now well indeed.  Having designated the video track as AV, clips play with sound whether dragged or inserted from the source viewer.

Thank you!

• Sun, Sep 10 2006 4:58 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650

Excellent. Good to hear you were able to resolve it.

LewS

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller