Latest post Wed, Jan 22 2020 9:15 AM by Bruno M. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 10 2020 7:35 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Vienna
    • Posts 76
    • Points 890

Re: Windows 10 Pro version 1909 extremly slow

CinéMatica: you can try with setting the affinity of the CPU to the application in TaskManager.

1) MC Symphony 2019.12, HP Z420: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2, 6 cores @3.50GHz, 40GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 1909, Z TurboDrive 256GB system disc, Thunderbolt 2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 10 2020 7:45 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,840

aVienna:

CinéMatica: you can try with setting the affinity of the CPU to the application in TaskManager.

Thanks for your suggestion aVienna, but I even don't know what to look for!

Ivan

(1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K | 1x... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 10 2020 8:15 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Vienna
    • Posts 76
    • Points 890

CinéMatic: You concluded that you have too many CPUs/HT available. Affinity setting allows associating certain CPUs to a specific application. My suggestion to test your hypothesis: Launch MC and see in Task Manager(push Cntrl + Shift + ESC to open it) the assigned CPUs. It should be all you have. In Task Manager switch to the Details tab and right click on the AvidMediaComposer.exe In the menu uncheck some logical CPUs. Not sure if you need relaunch the application to make this decision happen. Still i wonder why having too many CPUs should impact your Winsat Graphicsformal value.

1) MC Symphony 2019.12, HP Z420: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2, 6 cores @3.50GHz, 40GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 1909, Z TurboDrive 256GB system disc, Thunderbolt 2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 10 2020 9:35 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,840

aVienna,

When I right-click on the AvidMediaComposer.exe I don't see the menu to uncheck logical CPU's. When I click on Affinity, it says it's not available. Any thoughts?

I am also wondering why Windows isn't working smoothly on this system. There are even dual 22 core versions of these systems with lots of more RAM. On what are they running then? It was already slow even before anything else than the Windows 10 Pro 1909 was installed.

(1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K | 1x... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 10 2020 9:38 PM In reply to

CinéMatica:

If an HP Z640 or Z840 workstation is configured with Dual E5-2699v3 processors and Hyper-Threading enabled, as described in the SCOPE section, some Windows ISV software will have reduced performance.

For further reading about this issue if someone is interested: Advisory: HP Z640/Z840 Workstation - May Have Performance Degradation with Specific Processor

Thanks for reporting back! Hope this may help others.

FWIW: I usually buy my HP's refurbished and have them built exactly to Avid spec. Hence my dual-10core v4. I also believe the procs with less cores will have a higher GHz spec, which is why I went that way rather than the 2x12c.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 10 2020 10:38 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,840

Job ter Burg:

Thanks for reporting back! Hope this may help others.

FWIW: I usually buy my HP's refurbished and have them built exactly to Avid spec. Hence my dual-10core v4. I also believe the procs with less cores will have a higher GHz spec, which is why I went that way rather than the 2x12c.

Job, what do you think is my best option? Is trying to swap my current CPU's for Dual 16-core E5-2683v4 ones (approved by Avid in their configuration guide for the HP Z840), my best choice? This would of course also mean that I have to replace my 128 GB RAM memory from 2133 MHz to 256 GB RAM with 2400 MHz speed as they don't have refurbished 8 GB or 16 GB sticks. Ouch!

Running the system without Hyper-Trading looks a little bit odd to me. That's not the reason why I bought an HP Z840. And fiddling around with the processors to find that sweet spot for every application I could try, but actually I don't have time nor the knowledge for.

• Sat, Jan 11 2020 2:17 PM In reply to

CinéMatica:

bonang:

What happens when you disconnect the Nitris? Is "regular" computing stuff faster? Could it be a Nitris driver that W10 1909 doesn't like? Obviously your z840 should be quite speedy.

Hi Keith,

The Avid Nitris DX doesn’t seem the problem. The problem is that my HP Z840 is too speedy. Really true!

I just found out via some excellent help on the HP user forum that the dual 18-core Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB processors are the big problem. The problem with these processors already existed with Windows 7 Pro and 8.1 Pro some years ago.

If an HP Z640 or Z840 workstation is configured with Dual E5-2699v3 processors and Hyper-Threading enabled, as described in the SCOPE section, some Windows ISV software will have reduced performance.

For further reading about this issue if someone is interested: Advisory: HP Z640/Z840 Workstation - May Have Performance Degradation with Specific Processor

When I turn off Hyper-Trading everything seems to work normal in the first place. Turning it back on brings back the extreme slowness.

The document above gives two solutions:

An E5-2699v3 dual processor system with HT enabled has 72 logical processors. This can be an issue for applications that use legacy Windows OS APIs that don't support more than 64 logical processors.

To work around or resolve this issue, please perform one of the following methods.

1. Modify Application to use updated Windows OS APIs that support more than 64 logical processors. Additional information on updated APIs and application modifications required to support greater than 64 logical processors can be found in the following Microsoft article. ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653313(v=vs.85).aspx).

2. Disable Hyper-Threading in the System BIOS Setup so that there are less than 64 logical processors in the system.

The first point is completely out of my reach. I work with computers since 1998 and already played with them since my father bought his Radio Shack TRS-80 in the very early eighties, but such a thing is not my kind of thing.

The second point about disabling Hyper-Trading I am also not very enthusiastic of. Having such a powerful system and not be able to use it like it meant to be.

I guess there nothing more to do than contact the vendor who sold me the system and see if he can, or will, swap these dual 18-cores against the dual 16-cores E5-2683v4 2.1 GHz processors. If he can find them of course. When I bought this system a couple of weeks ago he only had the 18-cores and up.

Thanks for your suggestion Keith!

Also a big thanks to Job, TVJohn, aVienna and Marianna.

My summary of the above is that applications not designed to use 64 threads or more will use less threads than are avaialble and you are therefore wasting performance on threads and cores that are ideal.

As you say re-writing the applications to use more threads isn't an easy task!

But I'd just dispable hyper threading. This isn't reducing performance its removing a feature added to emulate more cores for systems that started to develop with CPU speeds above what the apps could utilise.

You basically split one core into two so your applications can take advantage of two cores and "appear" to have double the processing available. But in relaity thats still only one core splitting its time between the two virtual cores.

Tune off hyperthreading and your core count halfs but each one now is full time.

If that achieves what you need I'd go that route. And remember application tasks are just limited by CPU grunt. Moving media around and display management all take their toll and limit the throughput. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Jan 11 2020 6:50 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,840

CinéMatica:

Hi aVienna,

Here are my results:

CPUScore              : 9,4

D3DScore              : 9,9

DiskScore             : 8,2

GraphicsScore         : 1

MemoryScore           : 9,4

TimeTaken             : MostRecentAssessment

WinSATAssessmentState : 1

WinSPRLevel           : 1

PSComputerName        : HP-Z840

Looks like my WinSPRLevel and GraphicsScore are far worse than yours! Surprise Oh boy!

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi aVienna,

Is it normal that I get exactly the same results with the Hyper-Trading disabled?

• Sun, Jan 12 2020 8:37 AM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,840

Here are the results of my 10-year old Fujitsu Esprimo P9900. It's an Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz with 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE and Windows 10 Pro 1903 installed on it.

A much better score on the WinSPRLevel and GraphicScore, even when it is a dinousaur in computerland. Embarrassed

CPUScore              : 8,5

D3DScore              : 9,9

DiskScore             : 5,9

GraphicsScore         : 4,5

MemoryScore           : 8,5

TimeTaken             : MostRecentAssessment

WinSATAssessmentState : 1

WinSPRLevel           : 4,5

PSComputerName        : ESPRIMOP9900

• Sun, Jan 12 2020 11:07 AM In reply to

Hi Ivan,

Let me share my experience although I do not have a solution. I have never been able to reproduce the cause with 100% certainty. But here goes. 

First of all, in my experience the z820 and z840 always remained slower than their smaller brothers the 420 and 440. However much I tweaked bios settings and drivers, the z420 and z440 simply just worked out of the box while the Z820 and 840 always remained a bit unpredictable. As a reseller tech we have shipped and installed several and spend hours looking into performance issues, searching HP forum sites, google etc...

But I was able to find some things that improved things in all of them.

1. Do not connect a sata SSD for the OS to the SAS controller. (connector group 13) but use the 2 6GB/s Sata ports of the sata raid controller (connector group 14).

2. If using a sata SSD disable the raid functionality on the Sata controller and set it to AHCI.

This often restored performance on a windows level.

3. Check if memory modules are all equal. If not check that they are paired correctly accross both CPU's. I have seen refurbishers just throwing in modules that would show up and complete the desired memory size without ever testing speed.

4. Disable NUMA.

5. Use DDU to completely remove graphics drivers and manually install the version Avid advices to use with your version of Media composer and Graphics card. After the (re)install set the driver into video editing mode and max performance. On windows 10 this makes a difference.

6. Test if your DVD recorder still works. It showing up in the device manager is not enough. Best is to just put a disk in and copy something to a local disk. I have seen broken CD/DVD players/recorders giving the Sata/Sas controllers and therfor Os a bad time. Same applies to a broken card reader but I do not know if you use one. If you find something weird disconnect/replace.

7. Disable hyperthreading. The above mentioned high cpu count issue I have read about when trying to fix performance on a z820. Especially quicktime, which never was any good anyway, performed hopeless at the time. Disabling hyperthreading helped to improve performance but it still wasn't great. We repurposed that machine at the time as we couldn't get it to perform even after several bios changes and clean installs. After a few days we gave up. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sun, Jan 12 2020 4:44 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,840

Hello Jeroen,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, tips and tricks for these high-end HP sytems.

Here is what I have done.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

1. Do not connect a sata SSD for the OS to the SAS controller. (connector group 13) but use the 2 6GB/s Sata ports of the sata raid controller (connector group 14).

The two SSD's  in the system are corectly connected to connector group 14. They are not set in any RAID-form. One is the C-drive for Windows and applications and the other is for now an empty D-drive.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

2. If using a sata SSD disable the raid functionality on the Sata controller and set it to AHCI.

This often restored performance on a windows level.

In the BIOS the SATA controller was set RAID. I changed this to AHCI. The sSATA controller is still set to RAID, as I have 4 HDD's installed (RAID5) in the lower bays of the Z840. After I have done this the system doesn't start, but is Preparing Automatic Repair, followed by Diagnosing your PC. Then I get a blue Automatic Repair screen that tells me that my PC didn't start correctly. I have two options. Restart or Advanced Options. When I press Restart the whole cycle starts over again and again. From The Advanced Option I don't know too much so I leave them as they are. After setting the SATA controller back to RAID, the system boots again.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

3. Check if memory modules are all equal. If not check that they are paired correctly accross both CPU's. I have seen refurbishers just throwing in modules that would show up and complete the desired memory size without ever testing speed.

These are OK, I have 8 DIMM's of 16 GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM. They are in slot 1, 3, 6 and 8 for CPU0 and CPU1 like preferred in the HP and Avid guides.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

4. Disable NUMA.

Done this when I started the system for the very first time.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

5. Use DDU to completely remove graphics drivers and manually install the version Avid advices to use with your version of Media composer and Graphics card. After the (re)install set the driver into video editing mode and max performance. On windows 10 this makes a difference.

Done this and installed the latest NVIDIA driver for the Quadro P4000 that is certified for Avid Media Composer 219.12. This is driver 441.28 (64-bit) according to the 2019.12 readme file.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

6. Test if your DVD recorder still works. It showing up in the device manager is not enough. Best is to just put a disk in and copy something to a local disk. I have seen broken CD/DVD players/recorders giving the Sata/Sas controllers and therfor Os a bad time. Same applies to a broken card reader but I do not know if you use one. If you find something weird disconnect/replace.

The DVD burner is working like it should. I copied some files to my RAID5 drives without any problems.

Jeroen van Eekeres:

7. Disable hyperthreading. The above mentioned high cpu count issue I have read about when trying to fix performance on a z820. Especially quicktime, which never was any good anyway, performed hopeless at the time. Disabling hyperthreading helped to improve performance but it still wasn't great. We repurposed that machine at the time as we couldn't get it to perform even after several bios changes and clean installs. After a few days we gave up. 

And finally also done this!

All these tests and changes do not make any difference. The system is even performing bad with the Hyper-Trading disabled. Sometimes it performs better, but the same amount of times not. It's very fickle!

I guess there is nothing more to do then send the system back to my vendor in The Netherlands, Wink and swap out these evil processors together with the 2133 MHz RAM-memory. Hopefully will be putting in the Intel Dual 16-core Xeon E5-2683v4 processors with 8 DIMM's of 32GB 2400 MHz RAM a better life in this machine.

Like it is now, there is no way you can work with this system. Not even typing a message in the Notepad! Stick out tongue

Thanks again for your time and help.

Any other ideas or suggestions are always welcome.

• Sun, Jan 12 2020 5:14 PM In reply to

Happy to share,

CinéMatica:
    After I have done this the system doesn't start, but is Preparing Automatic Repair, followed by Diagnosing your PC

I have had this issue as well and there is an easy workaround. Move your boot SSD drive to the SAS controller and boot. As windows will have that Sas controller driver installed it should boot from it like it normally does. You might have to reconfigure the boot device order if you leave the raid set in. Shutdown after you finish booting.

Power up and enter bios and change the sata raid controller again to AHCI and windows will install the drivers after booting (now from the SAS controller) and logging in by itself.

Now shut down again and move the SSD back to the 6gb sata ports and power up again. Check boot order/sequence again and boot up. It should boot normally now.

Windows can't boot because it doesn't have the intel ahci sata driver installed and to get the driver it needs access to the ssd which is connected to the intel ahci sata controller now.

Hope this helps.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sun, Jan 19 2020 6:18 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,840

Hello everyone,

Back after a week of silence and testing.

Finally I think, I discovered the real problem that was slowing down my HP Z840.

My dealer made a replica from the system that I have bought from them. Only their graphics card is different. They use a NVIDIA Quadro K6000 and I have a Quadro P4000 in my system.

The dealer said that the document I mentioned was old. This was for older software that uses legacy Windows OS API’s. The current Windows 10 64-bit can handle 255 threads according to them.

Like suggested by my dealer, I took out all hardware that I had installed myself. I also disconnected: the second SSD, the four HDD’s that are inside the system and I also disconnected the ethernet switch. The Z840 had to be as bare as possible to test it.

I didn’t do a clean install yet because I wanted to try to get the cause on the current install.

After rebooting the system with only the operating system SSD and a few applications installed on it, it turned out that this was working normal. Everything was fast and snappy. I also could open the context menus in Sorenson Squeeze 11.1 and Avid Media Composer | Ultimate 2019.12 without any problems. Opening several programs at the same time works as never before. This all wasn’t possible before.

Then I connected the second SSD again. This drive is still empty, so it didn’t cause any further problems to the system. So, everything like it should be.

As third, I connected the four HDD’s (RAID5) again that are sitting in lower bays of the Z840. It’s going to be boring, but everything was still superfast and snappy. Wow, this looks very good!

The sweat started breaking out on me because this was meaning that Host Bus Adapter from my Avid Nitris DX or the Sonnet Allegro FW800 FireWire card was causing the slowness. Keep in mind that I bought this refurbished Z840 so that I still could use this Avid Nitris DX hardware accelerator and A/V connection box. The FireWire connection is needed for my Avid Mbox Pro 3.

The HBA of the Nitris DX was added again in the prescribed PCIe slot 5. This slot has been switched from generation 3 to 2 via a jumper on the motherboard. Restarted, and everything worked fine, first without the cable plugged in from the Nitris, and then also with the Nitris connected. Avid Media Composer recognized the Nitris. As test I runned an HD-SDI cable from the Nitris into a Blackmagic Design Ultrascope card inside my older Mac Pro 4.1. I used several from the build-in test patterns in the Nitris and these where immediately to see and to measure on the scopes of the Blackmagic card. So, Nitris DX working like charm and without any problems!

Lastly I putted back the Sonnet FireWire card in slot 7. Unbelievable, but everything was still fast and fully working like such a system has to work.

How in heaven’s sake can this be possible? What could then be the issue that is breaking my nerves for the past weeks? This is very weird!

Well, hold on because here it comes!

After plugging back in my TP-LINK switch, the system slowed down again and became unworkable. The menus didn’t open anymore like before. One mouse click became two clicks again, and so on.

So, my first thought was that this switch wasn’t compatible with Windows 10 Pro. If I pulled out the ethernet cable and restarted the system, everything started working fine again. This switch is connected to my system so that I can use my three Avid Artist panels (Mix, Transport and Color). All my three panels have another IP addresses to avoid mutual problems between them. All the three panels were recognized by the EuControl software and worked, with delay, in Avid Pro Tools 11.3.2 and Avid Media Composer | Ultimate 2019.12. To see if the switch was the problem I quitted the EuCon software and suddenly everything got faster again. So, there the real devil came out of his box. It’s the EuControl software that is causing all this delay and slowness according to me! When I restart EuCon it is not working. When I disable it, everything works like the best. I deleted the EuCon application (version 3.3.2) and installed a newer version (3.4) that was certified by Avid in their latest readme file for Media Composer 2019.12. This wasn’t working either as it gave the same problems. On the Avid Artist support page I even find more recent versions of this software (19.12.1), but I don’t know if this also can be used with the smaller panels that I have. I believe that this for the bigger S6 mixing consoles from Avid.

Even if all these Artist panels are discontinued by now, I am used to them and still need them to work.

What version of EuControl are you people using? Can I install the latest version 2019.12 of EuControl with my Artist panels or is this only for the bigger and newer Avid consoles?

Which switch are you using?

Any ideas how such a thing can happen and what can I do about this? Is there a way to solve this problem by changing some settings in EuControl?

Avid is probably going to say that Windows 10 Pro 1909 isn’t approved yet, the processors in my system are not certified by them, and my bigger amount of memory isn’t tested.

Without doing a clean install so far, I now first going to install all the rest my software to see what happens how the system performs. When I have done that, I will wipe everything clean and a fresh install of the system. I guess that is the best thing I can do. Any suggestions are still welcome!

Thank you all very much for your help, thoughts and precious time to help me figure out what was going on with my as good as new HP Z840!

Greetings!

• Mon, Jan 20 2020 7:19 AM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Vienna
    • Posts 76
    • Points 890

Windows 10 Pro 1909 is supported for v2019.12:

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/README_Avid_Editor_v19.12.pdf

January 13, 2020 Removed note stating Windows v10 64-bit v1909 was not supported. It is supported.

IP settings of the Artists panels and your PC: Do you have a DHCP server (perhaps it is your Internet modem) or did you set the IPs manually? What is your Gateway IP set? Your switch may have a DHCP server built in and active and you could use it as DHCP server for all, including the workstation. If you have more than one DHCP server active that will cause troubles.

• Mon, Jan 20 2020 9:01 AM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 201
    • Points 2,260

CinéMatica:
    What version of EuControl are you people using? Can I install the latest version 2019.12 of EuControl with my Artist panels or is this only for the bigger and newer Avid consoles?

I have a case with Avid about the latest versions of EuControl with Media Composer.

The advise from support is "For your information, EuControl 2019.7 was released last week. It inherited the behaviour of EuControl 2019.5.1. Please refrain from upgrading the EuControl and remain on EuControl 2018.3"

BTW I'm only using an Artist Color so that's connected directly to a network card in the computer with fixed IP addresses. In the settings for the network interface only TCP/IPv4 is enabled.

Media Composer 2018.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller