Latest post Mon, Nov 25 2019 10:46 PM by Mark Job. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 25 2019 8:06 AM

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,599
    • Points 20,230

Importing Video Clip with Four Channels of Audio

Hi Editors:

I have a few clips recorded on an Atomos Ninja Star external micro video/audio recorder. The video clips where recorded in Pro Res 422 @ 1080p 23.976 with a total of 4 audio channels. The audio tracks are grouped as two seperate Stereo pairs as part of the clip. MAC OS can see there are indeed 4 tracks. However Media Composer doesn't want to import the files. I get a strange error message...... "An unexpected error occurred while importing the Quicktime Audio Tracks. The imported audio tracks maybe unusable. Would you like to continue the import ?"  If I continue the import MC hangs. (??) I went through the knowledge base and this forum but could not find a scenario which fit my exact issue. I am running MC version 8.5.0 Are there proper settings for this ? I am assuming MC can well import video clips with more than two channels ? What are the settings ?

Sincerely,

Mark Job

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 8:56 AM In reply to

Re: Importing Video Clip with Four Channels of Audio

What happens if youl link the xclis rather than import them?

Alt drag the clips to an Avid bin or use the source browser under input after right clicking in a bin.

I view import as a legacy ingest method as it gets few updates where as AMA linking is being updated all the time.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 9:47 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,599
    • Points 20,230

Hi Pat:

Pat Horridge:
    What happens if youl link the xclis rather than import them?
    ..........That did it ! Thank you for that tip. Now I see and hear all four channels, which I can also isolate ! Yes Now, this may come across like a silly question, but what happens when I output the edited sequence ? Will MC output it as normal, or will it insist on importing those clips at that point ?

Thanks Again Pat,

Mark

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 10:01 AM In reply to

It depends on how you output but to be sage you can consolidate/transcode those clips to make Avid Media just to end up just as if you had imported them.

If Avid supports the codec you should be able to consolidate the clips. If it doesn't then Transcode.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 10:18 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,599
    • Points 20,230

Hi Pat:

Pat Horridge:
    If Avid supports the codec you should be able to consolidate the clips. If it doesn't then Transcode.
    .......Oh excellent. Well its Pro Res 422, so I think MC will be happy with it, or not ? Then I will do as you suggest, I will simply Transcode the sequence.

Thanks Again,

Mark

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 11:46 AM In reply to

Try consolidate first.

Also if you make sub clips (selects) of your rushes and consolidate those you will reduce the amount of Avid media you need.

Or consolidate the complete clips for coplete copies.

The bueaty of subclipping is you can name those subclips with meaningful names and that will ripple across to the consolidated clips.

-

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 6:18 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,599
    • Points 20,230

Hi Pat:

Yes this is quite useful information. Thanks.. I never really had hopped on the AMA Wagon before, as 90 % of my post was traditional ingest and output, but now I'm getting handed more and more interesting and multi-faceted media to wrangle, so this process is definitely faster and uses much less hard drive space then a straight ingest does.

Thanks Again,

Mark

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 8:50 PM In reply to

Unless people have a speciific workflow AMA linking is king. It also makes the conform a lot easier. Batch importing is inefficeint.

Also when you AMA link you can do it by source folder so it will automatically create a bin structure to match the source folder structure. Cool.

-

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 10:46 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,599
    • Points 20,230

Hi Pat:

Pat Horridge:
    Unless people have a speciific workflow AMA linking is king. It also makes the conform a lot easier. Batch importing is inefficeint.
    .......In many ways, there is so much about Media Composer that is generally unknown to the independent post production public at large. I am strongly convinced if all of these particular facets of the application were better known and understood, then MC would get much more use in many a boutique post operation like mine versus FC 10X (Not to say it isn't also a good tool). Too my knowledge, no other editing apps have AMA (Dynamic Link) technology like this ? It's really easy to use and it works very well.

Mark          

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller