Latest post Thu, Nov 7 2019 6:34 PM by dlogneb. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 7 2019 5:12 PM

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 46
    • Points 465

Feature Request: Replace subclips with master clips

I would love to be able to take a sequence and replace all the subclips with their parent master clips.  Akin to the "commit group clips".

This is a constant issue for me because I like to name my subclips something useful like "bob interview 5", but all facilities everywhere INSIST that the clip be named something that either reflects the original camera file name or the organizational codes, so if I subclip things and rename them, it confuses everyone.   If they could just click "commit subclips" that would be an awesome development and would save everyone a TON of time.

Another possible solution would be to allow the clip text in the timeline to be from another column.   I'd happily create my own custom column, or use the comments column instead of clip-name, but Avid won't show any of those fields in the timeline text.  Only name.

Avid MC 2018.9.0 Mac Os High Sierra (10.13.6) iMac Pro (2017) 2.3Ghz Intel Xeon W 128 GB 266 Mhz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 7 2019 6:07 PM In reply to

Re: Feature Request: Replace subclips with master clips

A simple "Relink to Selected" on a copy of your sequence can already do this.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 7 2019 6:22 PM In reply to

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2018
    • Posts 25
    • Points 235

Not really.  That requires me to go find all the master clips.  I have thousands and thousands of clips.  Or are you suggesting I show them in my bin with "set bin display".  I'll think about it, but still seems like it is easily solved like with "commit groups".   I'd also worry that something would get relinked incorrectly because I would be relinking everything and not just my subclips.

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 6:34 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 46
    • Points 465

I tried this and it only worked if I found the master clips first.  For some reason selecting all reference clips wouldn't work, gave me 'no clips were relinked' message.  But if I went and found the specific master clips, it did work.  THIS is why I want the feature.

Avid MC 2018.9.0 Mac Os High Sierra (10.13.6) iMac Pro (2017) 2.3Ghz Intel Xeon W 128 GB 266 Mhz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller